Author Topic: Turbo Squareback - History & Rebuild Thread  (Read 51292 times)

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Turbo Squareback - History & Rebuild Thread
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2013, 09:12:55 pm »
So, rebuilt the dizzy this afternoon. Painted it up yesterday:

Removed the masking:

New VW hall sender installed:

Screws in and paint-penned:

Shimming the shaft - the genuine hall sender kits come with some new shims:

Smacking the pin back in to secure the drive disc. This can be a real pain in the arse to get out and to get back in. Ended up finding a nail that was a perfect size to use as a drift for this.

Re-assembled:

New o-rings go on:

Done:

Alternator back on the engine, along with freshly powder-coated bracket/mount:

New wiring harness for the alternator to go on:

Fuel lines back in with fresh clips:

New bonnet catch on with new fixings. The new bonnet latch is shite quality compared to the original - new is only thinly painted, whereas the original was coated. Anyway, greased it up and have kept the original for when this inevitably rusts to pieces.

Getting closer to being able to fill that empty space!

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2013, 06:50:34 am »
Where did you get the hall sender kit from? Vw couldnt even give me a part number!! And heritage wernt much use either

so shiny!

Offline P1rik

• Members
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2013, 04:52:53 pm »
Love the care and attention going into this project excellent work

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2013, 05:45:13 pm »
I got the hall sender kit from the For Sale section on here, but it should be part number 030 998 065 A - yours for £135ish from VW Heritage!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2013, 05:55:58 pm »
Pushed it out into the sun earlier whilst I got on with rebuilding the driveshafts and giving them a lick of paint:

And then fitted the new wheels - still need to clean the tyre lube off them!

At the moment it's got a Polo-friend keeping it company while Yoof moves house. Hopefully mine won't get jealous that the red one is currently wearing its Compo MOs!

Offline josé

• Members
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2013, 08:58:43 pm »
Looking good Andy!

Offline Karlos the jackyl

• Members
    • VW Polo
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2013, 08:15:40 pm »
Nice hall sender  ;)

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2013, 10:28:03 pm »
Been cracking on with this again.

Dug out a PeteG40 lightened flywheel I've had for years. Comparison with stock one:

Helix paddle ready to clean up and go back in. Was going to get it re-lined, but new lining thickness is 7.6mm with a wear limit of 6.6mm - and mine was 7.4mm ish, so it'll be reet.

Engine off the stand for the first time in over a year!

Clutch and flywheel on:

Gearbox bolted on:

Engine finally back in the car. Managed to get it in without scratching any of the paint which was a bit of a mission! Now got the driveshafts etc. all back on too. Cooling system, wiring and lights still to do.

Out in the sun again:

Bought a PSD intercooler with a new lower bumper bar someone had made for it. The bumper bar is utterly pikey, so I spent ages grinding down the chicken-shit welds. Using it for mocking up purposes, and then will either tidy it up or replace it.

Behind the intercooler is the new ally radiator (Radtec Westfield one - actually based on a Mk3 Polo!) which is about twice the thickness of the original. Wrapped it in bubble-wrap whilst I was mocking it up to avoid damaging stuff.

Making some radiator brackets out of ally.

Marking up where to bend the strip.

Lower rad brackets before I trimmed them with some rubber strip from my random box of useful shit.

With all 4 brackets in place the rad feels pretty secure, but I've got a plan to run some studding forward into the bumper iron to make sure it doesn't hit the intercooler. Ordered some rubber bobbins to secure the top of the intercooler to the bumper iron too.

Am really tempted to just throw it all back together ASAP, but want to do a proper job so need to take my time. I'm hoping that once the cooling pack is in, then the rest is relatively straightforward as it's pretty much just bolting stuff back on.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2013, 10:08:15 pm »
Boring update, but got the cooling pack installed properly and it's taken an age:

Bottom of the intercooler is bolted directly to the box section radiator bar. The top of it is secured with rubber bobbins:

It's good and solid, but it needs to be - boost pipe clearances are tight:

Mounted a beefy Spal fan. Got a fan mount kit which came with some nice plastic legs, but there were only two of them long enough - so used them on opposite corners and then made up my own brackets for the bottom left and top right mounts. Bottom left is angled aluminium, because I had space to use it and it's pretty rigid yet still light.

Top right doesn't have much clearance at all, so that just got ally strip.
Note how little clearance there is to the turbo water pipe and oil drain...

Turbo water pipe got bent into a more appropriate shape. There's now 20mm of clearance between that and the radiator, which is still tight between a dynamic (turbo pipe) and static (radiator) part, but should be enough.

Going to get a different oil drain sorted. This one will work, but the clearance I've currently got doesn't fill me with confidence - even though it was far worse with the old setup.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2013, 10:07:12 am »
Progress has been a bit slow over the last month or so as this turned up:

Moved the water pipes around on the turbo:

Inlet pipework fitted, along with new turbo oil drain visible in the background.

Massaged one of the radiator support brackets some more to clear the compressor outlet hose properly:

Ended up buying a shiny pipe for the airfilter...

...it needed cutting down to size, which meant I needed to re-swage the end of the pipe. You can make a pikey swage tool out of exhaust U-clamps, but as this pipe was 80mm OD I didn't have anything to hand - so did it using a screwdriver; block of wood and a hammer. Results are just about acceptable!

Final result - Audi diesel inlet pipe mated up to the shiny 90° bend, and airfilter stashed in the inner wing.

Turbo oil line spec'd and fitted. P-clipped to the rocker cover bolt to stop it flapping about.

Better shot of the bay and turbo pipes etc.

Turbo water feed is taken from an unused port on the ally rad:

New coolant expansion tank and cleaned up washer bottle fitted:

Sticker updates courtesy of Dan Knight. These are a bit gay, but the tyre pressure and fuel grade ones were just because I could, and the headlamp beam alignment covered a mark in the new paint where the original sticker had been!

Before:

After:

Beam alignment:

New bits of trim for the bonnet:

Fresh lamps fitted:

Nearly looking like a car again!

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2013, 11:26:24 am »
Looking bloody immaculate mate! 8)

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2013, 07:14:35 pm »
Congratulations on the new arrival Andy.
Car is really coming along now, looking superb.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2013, 09:35:46 pm »
Excellent work Andy keep it u looking forward to seeing this in the flesh once its done, have you got a show or date in mind you'd like it done for what have you got left to do ??

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2013, 04:26:20 pm »
is your baby giving you the finger?

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #134 on: June 19, 2013, 09:32:22 pm »
looks spot on that mate.