Author Topic: Turbo Squareback - History & Rebuild Thread  (Read 51522 times)

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Turbo Squareback - History & Rebuild Thread
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2013, 08:20:22 pm »
Bolted the axle on with the rear coilovers, didn't take many pics. Spent ages tapping out all the threads - especially important on the captive nuts for the bolts from axle bracket to body, as the bolts are thread-locked from the factory, and new ones come with thread lock already applied. If you don't clean out the thread, and are using a new bolt, the bolt will bind. Carried on with the tapping:

Newly painted drum back plates, new stub axles bolted on:

New brake shoes and brake cylinders:

Finished them off with new bearings in new drums and put it all back together with some help from Yoof. Forgot to take pics, so this is the best I can do!

Might need to get some longer springs for the rear coilovers, as the arse end is a bit lower than it was before - and I'm pretty much as high as I can go on the adjuster:

Shit pic, but I bought some coilover socks. They're neoprene sleeves with a velcro strip - idea is you cover the threaded part of the coilover with them to prevent it getting wet and shitty, hopefully helping to stop it seizing. They were cheap, so I'm not expecting much!

Fitted new PPP/Bartek bushes to the adjustable TCAs. I'd initially tried these with the standard rubber bushes in the name of R&D, and the conclusion is - don't bother...

The repainted brake servo I'd done previously was a bit shit. My garage is a pre-fab, so it's damp and cold. Seemed that when I'd painted and rust treated the servo some moisture had got behind the paint. Anyway, Kiz very kindly gave me a pimped-up servo at the Club Polo RR day - so I fitted that today:

As it upset PeteG40 so much, I removed the steering arms for paint.

Dismantled the brake fluid reservoir and gave it a clean.

And clipped it back together. Have a 22mm master cylinder to plug it into, but ran out of time this evening to put all that together.

Some new brake lines from Automec. Originally they didn't have the Mk3 Polo lengths on file, so had offered to do them for a bargain £25. Unfortunately for me, someone beat me to it in giving them the lengths! I got them to make me a custom set anyway though, as I'd got the proper lengths from ETKA and what Automec had on file wasn't quite right (but should be now!). Properly nicely made in copper-nickel with brass fittings, and sure beats wasting a day making messy pikey flares myself.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:23:18 pm by Andy »

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2013, 08:24:51 pm »
Looking good!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2013, 09:09:40 pm »
Great job Andy!

Offline P1rik

• Members
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2013, 11:12:56 pm »
Nice work very clean polo

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2013, 09:55:01 pm »
Got the coilovers put on the front.

Whipped the steering arms and rack off, and fitted a new 22mm master cylinder and the brake fluid reservoir.

Audi caliper carriers for Girling/Lucas 54 calipers, cleaned up and strung up ready for high-temp paint:

Rack got stripped down, cleaned and re-greased. Now refitted, along with the steering arms.

All new brake lines in. I hate doing these, but the kit from Automec at least took the pain out of having to flare some new pipes up.

Fitted the front brakes, caliper carriers all painted up. New calipers, Ferodo DS2500 pads and braided lines.

New/refurbished Lucas 54 calipers done by TRW.

Just got to finish off the hard brake lines at the rear and then it's finally on to the engine!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2013, 08:34:44 pm »
Finished off the brake lines to the rear, new clips for the flexi to solid line mounts and plenty of grease on them to stop 'em corroding:

Fuel pump assembly was a mess, and the crimped rubber onto the nylon lines was buggered:

New powder coated fuel pump bracket went on:

Cleaned up pump & accumulator with new filter and new rubber hoses & clips:

And now installed:

Car's now back on its wheels, and it's time to start on the engine - FINALLY!

Had a tidy up of the garage, and sorted stuff out. Still a few more boxes of stuff to bolt back on - more than I anticipated! Still, three of the boxes are full of shite, so maybe not so bad! Anyone want to buy a 10 year old FK suspension kit?!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:40:25 pm by Andy »

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2013, 09:26:29 pm »
Cracking work Andy! The rear end is always full of rust and shite so its nice to see how clean yours is looking now, first time seeing your engine in a while, nice to get back to it I would imagine!

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2013, 10:01:34 pm »
The rear end is always full of rust and shite so its nice to see how clean yours is looking

Giggidy

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2013, 03:15:42 pm »
Looking good mate, gaz coilovers look soo nice. And loving the boxes of parts as well.

Will look amazing when its all back together  :)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2013, 08:38:54 pm »
This thing is ridiculously clean  :o

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2013, 07:10:14 pm »
Next level this is now  :-*

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2013, 09:11:20 pm »
Ooft!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2013, 09:50:06 pm »
Been a bit busy with other stuff, but went to go and get my tyres put on the refurbed steelies today. Apparently my local tyre place now only fit tyres they've supplied due to health n safety/insurance/time of the month or something, so the fat lump went back to sitting on his arse with a brew. The owner/gaffer was out, so I guess doing any work to make money wasn't on the agenda today!

Fortunately work have a tyre machine and balancer, and I needed to be in the workshop today... ;D It's a shit machine as it doesn't get much use, but as of tonight I'm now a tyre fitting pro, lol.

Most pointless "I fitted some tyres" post ever?

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2013, 10:46:36 pm »
Made some progress tonight with some help from Yoof.

New cambelt and waterpump, and repainted the lower auxiliary belt pulley. Dipstick tube painted in silver engine enamel.

Powder-coated inlet manifold on, along with injectors etc.
Also fitted the powder-coated Mk2 alloy rocker cover with some freshly painted bolts/washers.

Bit hard to see in the pics, but the block's been painted in satin black high temp paint now, cylinderhead cleaned up and cam end cap repainted to tidy it up.

The dizzy had a spesh hall sender in it, so I've pulled that apart tonight and cleaned it up. The body of it is now freshly painted - pics to follow when I'm building it back up again with the new VAG hall sender.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2013, 03:32:53 pm »
Enjoying the rocker cover Andy, bolts look great on it too. Mine let the side down in comparison, dizzy will do too haha!