Author Topic: Bilstein B12 + B13 springs and shocks kit  (Read 6330 times)

Offline Phil

• Members
Bilstein B12 + B13 springs and shocks kit
« on: February 19, 2012, 12:03:50 pm »
Now able to offer the Bilstein B12 spring and shock kit. This will lower a G40 20mm, and a normal polo 35mm. An excellent kit with what is probably the best ride quality around. This combines the B8 shocks with eibach springs.

£470 delivered.

"Two of the biggest names in the tuning world have joined forces to create the ultimate handling enhancement, the jointly branded Eibach and Bilstein B12 spring and damper package.

The two German suspension giants have enjoyed a close working relationship for decades, with countless OEM, motorsport and defence applications rolling on bespoke suspension packages tailored to precise client requirements. The new B12 kits put the same levels of build quality, fit and finish within the reach of the average enthusiast.

The B12 packages consist of four Eibach springs and four matched Bilstein dampers, making for the ultimate ‘real-world’ handling upgrade that balances unparalleled ride quality with exemplary handling and poise.

The springs have been pre-stressed, shot peened and tempered, before receiving a two-stage zinc-phosphate and electrostatic epoxy coating for a long and durable life. The dampers are of a superior monotube gas and oil design (most OEM units are twin-tube). The springs come with a comprehensive 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty and the damper units with 2 years. As one might expect from these two Teutonic titans, full TUV approval for every single application comes as standard.

The combined effect of the complete B12 kit is a car with less body roll that corners with vastly improved dynamics. Thanks to reduced squat and dive, acceleration and braking characteristics are also often enhanced."

Now as Eibach do not create a a kit that lowers more than 35mm, I have create what I call the B13 kit. This combines the B8 monotube dampers above, with a set of KW 60mm lowering springs.

KW also put alot of R&D into their suspension and spring ratings, and from experience usually run a softer rating than others enabling the decent ride quality from a lowered car. The B8s paired with the KW springs create an excellent kit that puts shame to the H&R cup kits of similar money.

£470 delivered.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 01:32:04 am by Phil »

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: Bilstien B12 and Eibach Pro springs and shocks kit
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:26:51 pm »
Phil you still able to get hold of these?

Offline Phil

• Members
Re: Bilstien B12 and Eibach Pro springs and shocks kit
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 12:02:39 pm »
I can indeed, Bilstein said a few days to a week lead time.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 01:31:35 am by Phil »

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: Bilstein B12 + B13 springs and shocks kit
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:22:27 am »
WORLD'S END 21/12/12 and still no B12 kit. Can you give me an update on these now Phil or do you want my afterlife address?

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 06:03:20 pm »
Kit arrived today and well worth the wait. General finish is A1 and the design of the inserts is a world away from the run of the mill shocks. I got the use of a garage for the next couple of months so was looking forward to fitting them right away. It got a wee bit breezy last night though and half the roof is missing,so I'm looking at a bit of joinery work first. Into every life a little rain must fall so they say.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 06:33:06 pm »
Does this really put the HnR kit to shame? read many views of the HnR cup kit and all say is the best road kit (especially for the uk roads)
have you tried them both on your polo?
just curious as ive just bought the Cup kit thinking it was the best for my needs
Taylor

Offline dekerf1996

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:42:48 am »
Taylor,

I have got 2 H n R cup kits and have ordered one of these kits.

Cup kits new are mighty expensive now. I paid £270 for mine a few years back

They have a very harsh ride and i don't think are suited to general day to day driving. Yes they are great when you are going for a blast on or for the occasional track day (I got mine when coilovers were near £1k from KW) but for me and 95% of my driving they just aren't good enough!!!

Hence why i have ordered one of these kits. I will post up more findings once i have swapped over

But looking at the spring ratings, quality and after car they win hands down!!! Hopefully the ride will live up to initial views and expectations

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 06:31:15 pm »
Taylor,

I have got 2 H n R cup kits and have ordered one of these kits.

Cup kits new are mighty expensive now. I paid £270 for mine a few years back

They have a very harsh ride and i don't think are suited to general day to day driving. Yes they are great when you are going for a blast on or for the occasional track day (I got mine when coilovers were near £1k from KW) but for me and 95% of my driving they just aren't good enough!!!

Hence why i have ordered one of these kits. I will post up more findings once i have swapped over

But looking at the spring ratings, quality and after car they win hands down!!! Hopefully the ride will live up to initial views and expectations
Thanks mate, would really appreciate that :) i haven't tried my hnr kit yet, should be arriving next week 

Offline Phil

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 09:41:31 pm »
Yeah I have a few gripes with the H&R kits, when compared to the budget TA kits they are the next step up hence alot of good reviews and are better than those. My main issue's with the kit are the lower coils collapse on each other at the bottom and the shocks are the same between 40 and 60mm kits.

I used to be able to get a good deal on them and did sell them years ago, but noticed the same % of shocks came back as faulty as the TA Technix kits which I sold alot more of. Compared to the Bilstein it's twin tube vs monotube, easy decision which his better, especially if you have a pair of each in your hands. The springs, well Eibachs 40mm and KWs 60mm springs don't lay 3/4 coils on top of each other. Eibach's springs with the budget TA shocks actually rode better I found than an H&R 40mm kit. Also had a cup kit on a 190e Cosworth I had, same gripes, sold it on.

As far as I know H&R don't make shocks, not knocking them completely as I run a set of their coilies on my daily. Except they are from a few years ago when they used Bilstein monotube dampers, and although even with their springs are the same and I'll be changing them to some KW's fronts, already run the kw coilover rear springs. Now they use Koni inserts and offer both twin and monotube coilovers. Don't know who make's their cup kit dampers, but it's not Koni or Bilstein.

Long story short at the £400 they are now I'd spend a bit more and go with the Bilstein option.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 12:20:45 pm »
John, how are you finding the billies?

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 01:50:32 pm »
Difficult to give a definitive answer as to the Billies compared to other fitments. I only had a shagged out standard set up on the G when I got it and used a set of AVO's over Cobra gas shocks as a replacement. This was money down the drain. The Billies are a world apart though with decent ride quality and a much tauter feel to the handling in general. To be frank, they feel like my old G on standard springs and Koni yellows, so that's no bad thing.