Author Topic: g40 engin wiring loom  (Read 3000 times)

Offline boyzey

• Members
g40 engin wiring loom
« on: February 05, 2012, 05:28:18 pm »
hi guys any one ever converted a gt engin loom to a g40, have noticed g40 looms are getting rare now and its not going to get any beta lol, so to try and keep the g40s going i thought id have a crack, the main problem i can see is swapping the pins around inside the ecu plug its like you can remove them but it brakes them any 1 els looked in to this

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: g40 engin wiring loom
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 05:49:13 pm »
gt engine loom will be missing the co pot connection and knock sensor, and has a different throttle set up, so thats probably different too.

Offline boyzey

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:09:00 pm »
yes mate have noticed that 2 all the plugs for those sensors you mention can be taken from a 1ltr loom and obviousl then would just need a length of wire running to apropriate ecu plug if i could find a way to add the pin to the ecu plug, also the earths for the looms are taken from different points but all could be alterd just stook with these pins

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 07:47:19 pm »
You can still buy new pins for all the connectors, so G40 looms getting rare shouldn't be an issue. Most of the common connector shells are easily available new too - or from scrap looms if required.

Offline boyzey

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 08:15:55 pm »
oryt andy i no all the sensors and plugs are not a problem, its the pins inside the ecu plug that i see as the only problem i tried to remove them from a spi loom thinking i could put them in to the gt plug but canot remove them without butchering them haha, andy do you mean you can buy new ecu plug pins in that case it could be done

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:33:47 pm »
you need to buy the proper tools for removing the pins and for crimping new pins on.  I suspect the pins themselves will cost pence but the tools will be quite expensive.  Maybe andy can say what those pins are called and you could search for the tools.  The plug shells arent cheap to buy in small quantities though, raiding scrapyards would be the best bet.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 09:47:02 pm »
Most of the Polo connectors are from the Power Timer and Junior Power Timer series of connectors. VWP and the like sell the terminals for pence.

Offline boyzey

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 08:30:44 pm »
yes special tools lol all i had was a piker and screwdriver so pin was not in good shape wen i eventualy got it out lol, but yes if you can buy new pins like you say and insert them in to the correct holes in say a gt ecu plug i recon that could work but like you say mite need a special tool to crimp the new pins on to wiring then insert it in to plug some how, will see if i can find any for sale then with the names andy provided and give it a go cheers lads