Author Topic: Chassis strengthening.  (Read 2513 times)

Offline AlexG40

• Members
Chassis strengthening.
« on: February 05, 2012, 03:40:05 pm »
Right, I've got my engine out and I've got a fairly Easy life chassis with a PPP subframe but I think it would be daft to miss the opportunity to have a bit of welding done in order to beef things up a bit. Is there anyone localish to me (Loughborough) that knows what the score is and fancies doing the job? Or, failing that anyone know of a link to a good guide? I'm sure I've seen one but I can't find it.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts

Offline AlexG40

• Members
Re: Chassis strengthening.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 04:55:54 pm »
Not sure how I couldn't find that on a search. I'll put it down to iPhones and not stupidity. Cheers Yoof!

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:18:16 pm »
Quick tech question. Does this have to be MIG or can it be TIG?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:48:04 pm »
Either- MIG is probably easier as it's slightly more common to find someone with the kit, and you avoid having to be clinically clean with the metal. Just make sure you protect the welded areas proeprly with underseal etc afterwards.

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 10:55:24 pm »
There's a bloke at work who does TIG. Just wondered if there were any technical reasons not to use it. I'm not sure if he does MIG although I imagine he would if he can TIG.

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:59:26 pm »
you can tig weld the chassi, but as mentioned above, the metal surface needs to be near 100% clean eith a smooth surface. you'll have a good looking weld, but after that you have to seal it.