Author Topic: Black G40 - J634LLK  (Read 6554 times)

Offline G40 AD

• Members
Black G40 - J634LLK
« on: January 25, 2012, 11:46:35 pm »
So I thought it was about time I introduced my black G40, picked her up back in 2007 off ebay on 38k with full service history with 2 owners, I picked the car up at Euston station from Dean (top bloke) looked after her for 13years after buying her from a german bloke who was a VW mechanic and orignally wore the plate J1 VAG for the first 3 years. Was an eye opener as a 19year old moving from a 1litre 6n... maybe even more of a shock than the insurance!

The car was completely standard with the exception of a vag decat (may have been fitted from new on a J Plate)...
Heres a pic of when I first collected and at tatton:

At this point I had no car knowledge at all so ina bid to try and preserve the G40 I bought a rat GT (Relaxi Taxi if you know it) to ease off the miles on it and give it a bit of an easy life... in short that didnt work... broke the GT on a daily basis which actually taught me loads about working on cars... meanwhile the G never stepped a foot out of line at all for 2 years!
I would say this ceased around the time I started tinkering!! So for a couple of years it saw a few different sets of wheels and a few little mods... (H&R's, 65mm pulley, chip etc)
Anyway back in June last year I was experiencing issues with the car starting, loosing coolant and so set to doing the head gasket and having the head rebuilt, with the car back together and another £500 sunk in to it I caught a wisp of oil in my rear view so with funds on the tight side decided to lay the car to one side for a while until I could afford a charger rebuild but got distracted for a year  with my mk1 polo... here’s a few pics of years gone by...

So now that I have the love back and a lot more money sunk in to the G it is almost ready to hit the road again! The recent acquiring of a unit has played a big part in actually getting something done!
Recent works have resulted in the following spec:

Engine

-1341CC PY Block
-1341CC Newmans Cam
-R1 Charger
-G60 Greens
-G-Werks Map
-65mm BarTek Toothed Pullies
-PSD 4 Branch
-2,5” Stainless
-Dewedged TB
-GT Inlet
-Lightened Flywheel
-Organic Clutch

Chasis

-H&R Cup Kit 60/40mm
-G-Laderseite G40 ARB’s
-PPS  stage 3 subframe with uprated box mount

Brakes

-256mm VAG Front Brake Set Up
-Golf GTI 256*20mm vented discs
-Braided Hoses
-Standard G40 Rears
-DOT 5.1

Wheels

-14” RA’s with 195/45 Falkens

Here’s a few pics of recent:
Some of the new/renewed gubbins...

Just got to bleed up the brake’s , tighten everything up, sort tracking, mot then go and enjoy 

Trying to keep it looking as OEM as I can so future plans will see the return of the arch trims, other plans are along the lines of a decent 4 branch, toothies and a remap, then as funds allow a full respray...

Cheers,

Ad
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:55:08 am by G40 AD »

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
Re: Black G40 - J634LLK
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 05:33:57 pm »
Yes pidgeon, wicked little story. cant wait for a ride out in blackie, been too long!

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:42:34 am »

Have decided that given that I have extended my deadline past the RR day (tomo!) that I am going to take a more thorough approach... new jobs to the expanding list:

Strip and paint Axle/mounts/compensator valve/tank strap/fuel pump assembly, fit new axle bushes, new brake lines, 200mm rear drum set up, new fuel filter, strip floor and re-underseal, clean up heat shield and replace one section....

Was a another productive session at the trusty new unit tonight... few pics...

Engine Bay

2.5" Stainless System - removed to allow removal of heat shield and to give full access to strip the floor (hopefully get a new backbox made up too)

Rear Beam

Rear Beam - Stripped (Note - never use a grinder with loose hoody strings... they can hurt your face! very narrow escape!!!)

Gear Selector Box

Gear Selector Box - Painted prior to 2nd coat and got a bit dusty as I managed to cast the whole unit in to a cloudy haze through mega grinding session!

Heat Shield

Heat Shield - Cleaned up

Compensator Valve Removed

Started on floor stripping... lots more to be done...

Cheers,

Ad
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:47:22 pm by G40 AD »

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 08:43:27 am »
Bit more progress on Sunday... Fuel lines and fuel assembly removed along with handbrake parts (obsolete from vw :angry: ) and rear beam mounting brackets all of which got the stripping treatment here's a pic from part way through the clean up... (compensator valve also in this pic)

cheers,

Ad
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:01:05 am by G40 AD »

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 08:44:17 am »
So got the G stripped as far as it is going with the exception of the rear brake lines and the undersealant, one new job to look at is the replacement of the exhasut hangers...

Few pics of first coat of painting bits... ready to spend some more cash now... first I just need some more cash  :-? !!

Beam Part Painted

Beam Mounting Brackets, Fuel Assembly and Bracket for the Compensator Valve

New bits for when funds allow:
- 200mm Rear Drum Set Up
- Vag Rear Beam Bushes
- Fuel Filter
- Replace/Refurbish Compensator Valve
- Replace Rear Brake Lines

Cheers,

Ad

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 08:45:23 am »
Hummm - so it seems to have happened again... I got so close and then started stripping back further again!

Been collating a few more goodies... on the list from the last week or two include;

- VAG 256MM Front Brake set up (to replace the Vauxhall set that I fitted a few weeks ago)
- PSD 4 Branch Manifold
- Toothed 65mm Pulley Set

Also modified the drivers side engine mount to allow easy removal of the exhaust manifold in the future and removed 4 tonnes of mud from the inner arches to prep for paint.

Lots more cleaning up and removed the rear brake lines so that I can get the new lines made up... Also.need to.replace the compensator valve... Just need to spare the cash, they are £110.from TPS.

Heres a few more pics anyway...

Oh No its happened again!

Queries on jobs to follow:
*Anyone have any recommendations for a good loom tape?
*Length of the required for the two rear sections of the brake lines?
*Anyone know of a set up for 200mm drums going spare?

Cheers,

Ad
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:05:28 am by G40 AD »

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:49:55 am »
As you can probably tell I've just copied over my recent updates from my othrr thread incase it is of any interest to you guys... aiming to.have this.done.and on the road for All Types... but still need to throw a fair bit more cash and.time at it to do it right!

Have swapped across the vauxhall brake set up to my blue g and very impressed with them!

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best stuff to redo the underseal with??

Cheers

Ad
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:06:35 am by G40 AD »

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 10:44:44 am »
Also.need to.replace the compensator valve... Just need to spare the cash, they are £110.from TPS.

you can get these from GSF for half the price.

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 01:23:18 pm »
Good to know cheers for that will try and keep it vag tjough providing funds allow but good to have that as a back up...

Cheers

Ad

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 12:36:11 am »
check on ebay for tesa loom tape! vw and most german brand use that fabric black tape back in the days.

i've bought it and it works great.

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 07:40:02 am »
Cheers for the tip Andy...