Author Topic: Volkswagen resurrecting the G40  (Read 3307 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Volkswagen resurrecting the G40
« on: January 19, 2012, 10:22:17 pm »
In spirit, anyway.

I'm out in Nice with Volkswagen at the moment, and I've been chatting to the PR guys and engineers over dinner. Figures you guys may be interested to hear that there's a car coming along that's even closer to the G40 spirit than the new Polo GTI.

Next week, VW UK is flying a group of journalists out to Wolfsburg to drive the up! GT in pre-production form.

Now I'm told this will be coming into production - schedule unknown - and coming to the UK. It'll look similar to the concept car from last year's Frankfurt Motor Show:

Engine will be a 1.0-litre unit with three cylinders and a turbo. Power is 109bhp, with a six speed MANUAL gearbox. Kerb weight under one tonne.

As an idea, the fully loaded High up! (top of the range) is 930kg. Possibility of aluminium panels and a slightly lighter selection of luxuries on the up! GT to make it weigh less.

Dr Ulrich Hackenberg, who is on the board of management at Volkswagen in Germany, is using one at the moment. This guy has the choice of any of the Volkswagen range. That bodes well.

Won't float everyone's boat on here, but I think it sounds a lot of fun. Not driven an up! yet but I've tried the mechanically identical SEAT Mii and even with the N/A three pot it's a giggle. Add in a turbocharger and it'll be easy to tweak for more power.

I can't wait to get my hands on one!

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Volkswagen resurrecting the G40
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 07:15:37 am »
I think, that this model is going to fail selling units.
They should have aimed more to fit an economical engine in that, for daily-in city driving, than to make a fast little car. The market has changed since the early 90s.
The people that want a fast little car will still looking for a new polo gti/ibiza cupra to buy, unless they can't afford it!

Alex

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 09:26:41 am »
It has two three cylinder engines to keep Eco motorists and city types happy. You only have to look at cars like the Twingo RenaultSport to know there's a market for a lightweight, low emission, high efficiency hot hatch.

Remember the latest Polo GTI has gone from a 1.8 to a 1.4

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 12:41:33 pm »
I was going to say if its like the twingo it could do well. I quite like the sporty twingo, knowing VW though it wont handle as well as the renault though.

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 12:58:10 pm »
It looks like a new generation Lupo.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 05:11:06 pm »
It is a new generation Lupo...

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 11:55:16 pm »
It might be a nice car to drive. give us your opinion after the test drive Alex!

Cheers

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 10:28:46 am »
There's one of these at work and it looks nowhere near as sporty as that in real life. It's not a top of the range model though, probably one of the cheaper ones. I hated it when I saw the blurb for it months ago, after seeing it in the metal, it's actually not so bad, surprisingly spacious inside! Didn't look under the bonnet as I got distracted by a TSI Polo and hadn't seen under the bonnet of one of them- couldn't see the supercharger though, only the turbo :(

Offline LilStu1982

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 01:53:12 am »
There's one of these at work and it looks nowhere near as sporty as that in real life. It's not a top of the range model though, probably one of the cheaper ones. I hated it when I saw the blurb for it months ago, after seeing it in the metal, it's actually not so bad, surprisingly spacious inside! Didn't look under the bonnet as I got distracted by a TSI Polo and hadn't seen under the bonnet of one of them- couldn't see the supercharger though, only the turbo :(

This is a good video on youtube showing the design/layout/operation of the new TSI engines. Good picture of the charger at around 1:55.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20qqavckWdw

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 11:08:01 am »