Author Topic: 1341 rebuild help please...  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Cliff

• Members
1341 rebuild help please...
« on: January 18, 2012, 01:03:36 pm »
Hi... Im currently undergoing a rebuild of my g40 turbo engine. I need help with a few things. I had spent a while gathering up part numbers for all the gaskets etc.. But I was hoping to find out..

Where is best to buy the following things??

77mm 1341cc pistons. Where would stock them? Wossner direct best?
Where can I get  quality mains and big end shells
Are there any bottom end rebuild kits available to buy as a kit anywhere?
Are there any head rebuild kits available to buy as a full kit anywhere?

Any help would be great thank you
Cliff

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: 1341 rebuild help please...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:33:25 pm »
77mm pistons accralite or wossner direct i think is your best bet to be honest although not sure on stock levels dont think they sell in huge number so shelf stocks may be low expect a 2 week wait.
best place for quality shells is vw although they come with a hefty price tag, a good quality supposed oe spec manufacturer of shells is ks or kolben schmidt i think is there full name i got mine from rs engine supplies google them for details but came in a damn sight cheaper than vw although doing research at the time i think the genuine vw shells are realy the one to go for if you can afford it which i couldnt and currnetly have some ks ones in my 1341 turbo !!
bottom end and top end gasket kits both availible from rs engine supplies erling in make which is what i used i think vw do both aswell but will again come with the larger price tag think the genuine g40 head gasket may now be obsolete aswell. think the original manufacturer was victor rienz so if you wanna go direct its worth a go for gaskets, hope this helps and good luck as it gets expensive with all bolts and pistins shells oil pump chain cam belt water pump etc...etc... oh and for the record do not get a pattern part oil pump they are crap quality go genuine only in my opinion any way.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:51:46 pm »
My bottom end rebuild all genuine vw bearings/parts and oil pump with wossner pistons was £1000 incl vat. TSR can get pistons fairly easy and quick, wossner £550 incl vat, not sure about accralites.

Offline Cliff

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:53:17 pm »
Why whats the story with accralites? Better? Worse?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 11:07:27 pm »
I think the compression ratio is different, is it 9.0.1 rather than 8.0.1, and i may be wrong but most people who go turbo use them.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 11:11:37 pm »
Deffo 9.0:1 ratio on them. Wossners keep the ratio the same as standard.

Offline Cliff

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 01:35:34 pm »
Hmmm... Excuse my ignorance but other than compression ratio being changes. what else is different about the accralite pistons? Which are better, plain 77mm wossner or them???

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 02:38:38 pm »
  wossner and accralite pistons are made of a different grade of alloy both will do what you want but the accralites are made of a slightly softer alloy that requires a slightly larger bore to piston clearance where as wossners are made of a harder alloy that doesnt expand as much when heated therefore requiring less bore to piston clearance.I think it has to do with the sillicone content of the alloy i cant remebeber if less or more increases the "hardness" of the alloy.
  The softer accralites in theory should be able to take more abuse due to them being slightly softer they will bend or deform rather than smash or crack but due to the higher compression ratio i highly doubt you would be able to safley put enough boost through the engine to damage them anwayway! the larger bore to piston clearrance is ment to increase piston slap when cold but i have them in my motor and there is no piston slap even on very cold days so i think it depends on how accurate your machine shop is that bores your block aswell0. They are also more expensive
 The wossners are in theory ment to have no piston slap but be slightly more brittle than the accralite although i would again imagine other engine components to fail before the pisons such as the gasket or valve/valveguides. to amke this happen you would have to be pushing the engine stupid hard or have it incorrorectly timed/feuled.
 To be honest i doubt your going to be able to tell the difference the only thing you want to take into account is the compression ratio which has been discussed on here a few times as to the benifits of 8:1 vs 9:1

Offline Cliff

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 04:11:57 pm »
Cool... thanks for that... any links to them compression ratio discussions??

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 05:45:39 pm »
http://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2319.0.html
http://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3160.0.html
http://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6170.0.html
there a loads more both here and on club polo try the search function for :compression ratio,CR,9:1,8:1,wossner, accralite etc..etc...