Author Topic: ANOTHER Wheel bearing gone!  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
ANOTHER Wheel bearing gone!
« on: January 18, 2012, 12:13:04 am »
Ok, after my last thread where the conclusion was that pattern wheel bearings where dog shite I went to VW, blew some cash and came home with shiny new genuine wheel bearings (fronts). spent a load of time making sure it when in perfectly using a press (instead of a hammer) its been about a year since then and I'm getting that dreaded noise from my drivers side one...
What more can I do? just unlucky with a bearing? I have FK suspension which is crazy harsh, anything to do with it?

Thanks.

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
Re: ANOTHER Wheel bearing gone!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 12:35:23 pm »
Could also be your ET.

As the famous little alien once said: "big poke make wheel bearing cry"

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 12:45:44 pm »
I always leave a heat gun on the drum/hub for as long as possible, then grease, press in- let it cool down, and re grease.

No problems with ET0 and slicks  :)

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 12:50:36 pm »
Got standard RAs on - the fitment was much better than we've ever done before, grease and a press is loads better than a block of wood and a hammer. Just can't see how it would last not even a year, again. Looking back at the history I've had I think its had 3 sets of front wheel bearings since 2007 now.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 06:21:04 pm »
You been using the same hub? Possibly not true- or the strut housing is slightly damaged, I've never had a problem with VW bearings. Also what torque do you tighten the hub nut up to?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:41:21 pm »
Into the same strut and hub each time yes, i assume I would have gone to the torque in the haynes manual. though I can't remember if I'm honest

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:54:04 pm »
220nm or something, i never had a problem with vw bearings. Even my gsf rear ones are ok and thats been 2 years.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 10:05:04 pm »
I just took it as part of owning a VW, I think nearly every Golf, Jetta, Scirocco and Polo I've had have needed wheel bearings done. Don't tend to last too long comapred to other marques too, regardless of how they were fitted, who fitted them, front or rear and regardless of manufacturer. I have noticed that VW bearings do tend to be the best, but at about 3x the price I'd want 3x the life out of it, which I couldn't answer as I don't think I've owned the same car long enough! hahaha

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 10:43:59 pm »
On both my polos i had to replace bearings, one of them had the four wheels at a time, and now the other had the 2 front bearings.

I think there's normal to replace them often due to hard driving and as they are lowered, bearing tend to suffer more with vibration.