Author Topic: 1980 Golf LS Turbo  (Read 28480 times)

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
Re: 1980 Golf LS Turbo
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2013, 04:45:15 am »
Cheers Pete, too late now as you'll see :)

A couple of mates mentioned cast iron being something a diy'er can't do in a garage for various reasons, So cracked on this evening spurred on by last nights research

So I set about with this

Which lead me to this

Then I got bored and set out for destruction

About 20 smacks with a mini sledgehammer saw it crack

Back on the Golf - chopped chassis leg and trialling/measuring

Here's where I finished up tonight

I shifted the engine the furthest to the left as he mounts would allow so plenty of room to move the engine to the right if necessary, but I'm pretty happy so far.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2013, 12:59:52 am »
Engine out again, only needed driveshafts off, gear linkage and engine mounts so quick job

Cleaned up the mount and surrounding area, tack welded in a couple of places before I took the engine out and started to plate it up using 1.5mm zintec sheet

Only got a couple of hours on it an my lift came , Got the day off tomorrow so should hopefully be productive :)

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2013, 08:57:31 pm »
Decided to tax the Beemer and throw in some steel seal stuff to prolong it for a week or two as I've got errands to run that need a car!

Did some more on the mount today but ran out of gas no long after I started, knew I was running low so the Beemer will take my ass and das gas bottle to work tomorrow for an exchange.

Nowt worse than no gas on a weekend/days off next week!

Planning on a late one tomorrow night, I wanna get it finished up and in a coat of epoxy mastic, while I've got some mixed i'll give the comets newly welded panels a coat too, ready for the outer sill to go on :) bust out the seam sealer on Saturday and drop the engine back in.

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2013, 10:24:43 pm »
I hear your pain on the empty gas situation. Nothing worse than getting something all prepped nice then sticking a load of porosity into it!

Im always doing it with turning the bottle off, then clicking the trigger getting gas through from the line thinking sweet, arc-up to discover a fizzy mess ::)

I see you've taken a different route with the compatability, probs best if you need to change engine at a later date. Im sure with a bit of thought and the right machines a bespoke mounting bracket could be engineered for the MK1 golf for a G40 blown small block.

Nice work on the chassis, hope it all comes together. I know just what it's like needing a car everyday and desperately trying to fix the other one in the unit before the one being driven spits its dummy out.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2013, 01:43:35 am »
charger mount done - far better

4 branch extended and lambda bosses welded in

rad, oil cooler, lines and fan fitted

finished up most of little jobs off this evening

few minor jobs tomorrow

swap ecu/chip
wiring - fan / thermoswitch / alternator / starter
exhaust rubbers

and hopefully all being well it'll fire up and I can rejoice and take it into work on Tuesday :)

then theres a few jobs in the near future i wanna do, tidy up some of the wiring, get a load of grommets to replace the missing ones on the bulkhead, refit the front cage door bars, replace the centre box for a straight through

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2013, 07:56:17 pm »
 8)

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2013, 02:19:10 am »
well highs and lows in the golf saga since my last update.

that monday night I smashed it out to get the car ready to crank over and found a leak or two. one from the oil pump alloy cover and another from the block to rear water pipe, and another from various points on the sump.

turns out the previous owner decided to negate the need for gaskets in certain parts of his rebuild =/ amongst other things *sigh*

anyway oil pump cover off

turns out the gasket is obsolete and the jebends at elring wont reply to my query as i found their respective part number to see if they supply it, so i just used some black silicone gasket maker and sealed it that way - refitted it all

and left it at that for the day.

then we saw bye bye to another unit friend

removed the inlet manifold to get decent access to the water pipe, glad i did, as one of the bolts had been hero tightened and mangled so was a mare to get out. anyway refitted with a gasket and some sealant for good measure

left that to cure and then took a sabbatical from the cars whilst me and a few friends went on an epic 1400 man paintball battle.

got back on it tonight, soldered up the fan and thermo switch, and proper vw plug for the starter motor/alternator harness, tightened up the hubnuts, topped up the fluids and cranked the engine to build up oil pressure.

all good, no leaks, went to fire it up - no go.

fuel check
air - DOH - reattached boost pipe that was removed when i was fitting new copper washers

went to fire it up - no go

fuel - still check
air - check
spark - ok from the coil, no go to the plugs. scratch head - take off dizzy cap - no rotor arm - deuchebag i am!

went to fire it up - it liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiives! so good to hear that supercharger whine again.

then sorted out the headlight wiring and went for a kfc with the boys and called it a night.

going to mess with the exhaust tomo and make this straight thru

also got these coming for the golf, as its done its time on 14 inch alloys and I've now sold the borbets

just need to get hold of some 195/45s now

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2013, 12:06:51 am »
[quote name='grungeisdead' date='Sunday 12th May 2013 - 11:59pm' post='2527814']

Straight thru done, needs some tweaking to maintain an idle long enough while I time it up, fingers crossed for tomorrows session
[/quote]

[quote name='grungeisdead' date='Tuesday 14th May 2013 - 11:17pm' post='2528585']
Got that sleeve Mikey, cheers matey.

bobbed over to unit tonight with a few jobs in mind.

Redo earthing point to charger
Replace hosing to aav
check spark plugs
Swapped out dizzy and coil
Reset co pot to 650ohms and idle screw all the way in then 2 1/2 turns out.

Refused to idle still argh.

just stuck on a spare ecu that had a ko3 chip in and that idled fine, so swapped the chips over and it seems to have solved it.

Cold and hungry by then I gave up. So tomorrow gonna swap over some wheels, run it up to temp, set timing, co on the gas analyser and the idle and take it for a spin :)
[/quote]

[quote name='grungeisdead' date='Wednesday 15th May 2013 - 10:12pm' post='2529055']
its lives, it drives =D

poly engine bushes - bad idea - my roof vibrates now haha
belts have slackened off slightly in my drive, think the engine mount bolts may be slightly loose =/ safffronnnnnnnn!
BTS didnt seem to make any difference when i unplugged it while it was warming up, so probably not a good sign! need to get my multimeter out tomorrow.

so 50 mile round trip to work tomorrow, bit of a tweak in the evening and then I will give the cars a full wash, polish and wax on friday ready for all types.

then its time to crack on with the comet blue as theres only a couple of weeks worth left on it. If i could get by the first week in June i would be very happy, and being half way through the year my target of getting every car working and drivable will be half way complete, with two cars left to go.

good times
[/quote]

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2013, 09:59:51 pm »
Great work this Saph, loved bumping into you in the bimmer last year, such a cool motor!