Author Topic: 1980 Golf LS Turbo  (Read 28611 times)

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
Re: 1980 Golf LS Turbo
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2012, 02:05:13 am »
Got the brace painted now lad should be able to fit it now it's on the 15s

Well last weekend was eventful, on Friday night in the work car park the car decided to have a hissy fit and misfiring. Cleaned out the dizzy cap n rotor arm and after a minute it cleared up and it was sweet again all way on the journey home, so I could have some scran and put my feet up!

Come the next morning and it's missing straight away, 2 minutes down the road and I've broken down, out of fuel. Doh! Was on the way to fill up! Tommy to the rescue in the mk1 cabby!

With the help of a few friends at polo show we stuck on diff coil, leads, cleaned up the plugs. Starts up sweet now as was good on the way back from Northampton bar sometimes just refusing to move under anything more than partial throttle, different gear. Changed the fuel pump for a new non vag one ( cheapo bm equivalent ) and it's still the same!

Ahhh well, Mot ran out today and I still hadn't managed to find time to do the welding so as it is my daily it's time to crack on!

Right I'm going to add these welding pictures with a disclaimer my welding isnt great but it's as good as I can manage at the minute and it's all experience. I'll eventually give this golfie a full resto at some point but I just want it to be mot friendly and it's got to be better than the rusty mess holding it together!

Here's the result of a couple of evenings work.

Bit annoyed at the pattern sill as the seller didn't package it appropriately so the bit I really wanted was damaged. But I can either repair it or use it as a template to make a new one

If anyone has a mk1 golf thatchams or bentley manual gimme a shout or pictures of how the inner sill should look!

The playground - unfortunately all the cars I own aare in that picture. Waaaaah!

Offline quiksilver_jake

• Members
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2012, 01:16:36 pm »
You got your rap trap/ poison yet ? ???

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2012, 01:03:51 pm »

[quote name='grungeisdead' date='Monday 16th July 2012 - 11:22pm' post='2374474']
It'll all be Done with epoxy mastic! Fook seam sealer! Pidge was more delirious after a full on weekender with no sleep on it!

Last repair panel tacked in all other welds ground down, then flap wheeled 40 grit

So tomorrow sees the repair panel being welded up, bits being painted and Fudging the pattern sill to fit
[/quote]

[quote name='grungeisdead' date='Thursday 19th July 2012 - 12:00pm' post='2375801']
woop - outer sill tonight

[/quote]

[quote name='grungeisdead' date='Sunday 22nd July 2012 - 7:42pm' post='2377659']

[/quote]

Well it’s been a while since I updated this thread, so now is a good a time as ever.
Finished the welding on the sill and got the car back on the road a few months ago.
So now that she back on the road, I could concentrate on trying to sort out some niggly running issues, first was a dodgy internal connection on my new bosch fuel pump, which made me want to cry and meant that I had to refit the new pattern pump I had sitting on the shelf, which buzzes like an orchestra of rampant rabbits at a lesbian convention.
Changed all the vacuum lines, finally fitted an oil catch tank, and eventually got round to fitting a manual bleed valve to the actuator vac line and it still wouldn’t go over 0.5 bar, so fitted an actuator off a friends turbo and on the first drive hit 2 bar! So tweaked it down to 1 bar. Rapid in comparison is not the word and I can finally break past my previous speed-based brick wall.
Also bought a VEMS wideband with datalogging, so welded on a lambda boss into my downpipe and have now realised that I now have an inability to drive as I’m forever watching the guage!
Found the source of the fuel vapours in the car the other day, and replaced the fuel hose, on the same day I noticed that you sort one leak and sprout another two! The two in question being a water leak in the rad end cap from where the brackets had come off the rad and it was sitting on the turbo – bit of plastic leak fix stuff and jobs a good un. Changed the copper washers on the leaky oil line to no avail, the hydraulic hose had actually failed, so a new one is on order with thanks to HEL performance at a bargain price of 25 quid including all fittings, banjo bolts and washers.
Also finally procured a 2.5” stainless system, for the bargain price of 77 quid so a very happy chappy that I will actually be able to have an exhaust system complete with hangers haha – so next jobs are refit the oil feed line when it arrives and make up a new downpipe complete with flexi and fit the new exhaust.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2013, 02:07:16 am »

[quote name='grungeisdead' date='Thursday 3rd January 2013 - 1:51am' post='2463667']
Some pictures from last year

Latest happenings in the Golfies world :-

Got a K03 turbo and mani to try out to see how it stacks up against the T25
Full stainless exhaust to fit
Track day in February
Blat about until next winter where it gets some much needed restoration in some key areas to preserve it for a bit longer.

Looking at the pictures, I miss it fooking loads, but that being said, if anyone wants to try me with swaps, I'm always open to a bit of bartering!
[/quote]

[quote name='grungeisdead' date='Tuesday 26th February 2013 - 10:34pm' post='2494281']
Decided I've spent far too long having not driven a VW so I needed to rectify the situation and with the start of a month looming its the perfect time to tax and insure it.

Got a small list of stuff to do before Friday,

Replace a fuel line
Replace passenger pre tensioner for harnesses
Fit the stainless exhaust - which involves rewelding the factory hanger back on as I cut it out previously as it was intruding on my pikey'd centre box.
Refit the cages door bars and windscreen bar - bought a step drill bit to make neat holes for the cage leg on the passenger side floor pan, which was replaced when I welded it up earlier last year
Go drive

Today I cleaned up swapped out the ecu and cleaned up the loom contacts, they got grotty from when the scuttle cover was cracked and letting water into the loom :(

Interim plans for this which will proceed when I've finished the comet blue

been measuring up a stainless rad I picked up a while back ( need to get azbar to flip round the water outlets as it was designed for a big block golf engine ) and measuring up the intercoolers I have with metal end pieces so I can decide what needs welding for the tidiest routing of boost pipes, and then I will set out making brackets to neatly hold the rad, intercooler and oil cooler in place.

ko3 conversion is just awaiting getting the manifold flange machined flat and sorting out a chip, either the origins of mine, or getting one from PPP, picked up a stainless downpipe from Jose and a gasket and stud set

The rocker cover is being sent away to be powder coated along with a load of engine parts for the comet blues engine, there's also a single wiper there too =D

Wooooop woop golfie times
[/quote]

[quote name='grungeisdead' date='Thursday 28th February 2013 - 12:07am' post='2494801']
Cheers d00d. It's aiight =]

I love the ruotays on anything to be fair haha.

Set about fitting the stainless exhaust this eve,

Welded in a flexi and a sleeve for a reducer

Back box on,  tailpipe will get changed at some point but in no rush

Gotta get 3 new rubbers for the backbox and whip the flexi centre section off, reduce the size of the slits in the flexi with a copper backed weld, and make a new centre hanger, I've got some 8mm rod and a 6n exhaust rubber so should be able to make something up that will take the impact when the centre box invariably catches.
[/quote]

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2013, 01:00:03 am »
Got bored today

Needed toothies again in my life

Azbar finished the mod to the ally rad

And started chopping up the two engine mounts to make a new one

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2013, 01:12:43 am »
Nice work as always Saf! Body-fab skills are looking good mate!

Why are you chopping the engine/charger mounting?

p.s. Are you likely to have a G40 cam-cover for grabs soon? ;)

Regards

Andy

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2013, 06:21:13 pm »
cheers dude, the welding i did on this is quite old now, middle of last year i think. been doing loads on teh comet blue mk2 but havent been updating the thread on here, check it out on clubpolo members gallery mk2 section if you fancy a read.

as im now fitting a supercharger to the golf, i need to make a hybrid of the supercharged engine mount and the mk1 golf engine mount.

I could have modified the shell to take the standard polo mount, but it's more work and pretty destructive. i got hold of a spare mk1 golf engine mount so i thought id have a play down this route first :)

cam cover is available off the engine that got taken out, ive got the mk2 ally rocker cover painted up for it now

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2013, 01:09:02 am »
Got a few hours on this tonight.

Did some research into swapping over the driveshaft flanges over from a mk3 box, to fit the 6n box but turned the mk4 flanges and the box wouldnt move, neither would the output shaft! span them on my 2 ATV's and they were fine, albeit a bit noisy. so whipped the 6n box off and stuck another ATV on there. Had to change the guide sleeve on the box, as it had previously broken and ruined the splines on a clutch in the process

so if anyone has number 7 - part #     085141181 from the below diagram off a broken 5 speed gearbox, i would be much obliged it you would part with it for pennies :)

Gave a box a quick clean up, and dropped the engine in the bay and fitted all the mounts - some of which are now polybushed, tightened up and off the crane

Finished chopping the mounts up, now I can get a jack supporting the engine in the correct place, and mock up the and get the final cuttygrindymcweldy on its ass. bearing in mind that I need to keep enough room for the charger belts in between the mounts otherwise it'll be slappy slappy

That'll be tomorrows mission, anything else done will be a bonus :)

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2013, 08:38:52 am »
Saf I got the sleeve from GSF a couple of months ago for 3 quid. Looks good mate!

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2013, 10:43:50 am »
Of course, forgot it was a mk1 golf  ;D  I think I'd modify the bracket rather than the chassis!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2013, 03:18:18 am »
cheers Tom mate :) good to know, Arun has sorted me out anyhow.

Bit more chopping and grinding saw something close

Bit of weldy weldy

Bolted up the charger and alternator so i could put a belt on, tension up the charger and check for belt clearance

that's a no then haha

so with that all mocked up nicely, i set the job of addressing that to another day this week.

next job was boost piping - nothing to change on the outlet side of the intercooler so that was all sweet, so just the charger->intercooler jobbie.

armed with a box full of assorted boost pipes from my cupboard of joy, a handful of head scratching and a hacksaw, twas sorted.

tomorrow I wanna

Make a bracket for the bottom of the intercooler
mount the oil cooler off the lower bracket
mount the rad and make brackets

Job's I still have to do

Finish engine mount and paint
Cambelt - Get
Remove std G40 cam
Fit Schrick 272 cam, replace camshaft oil seals
fit inner timing belt cover
fit waterpump - new seal
fit cambelt
fit outer lower timing belt cover
fit toothed crank aux pulley
mark tdc on outer casings and pulley in tippex
fit outer cambelt cover
fit 51mm throttle body/ported inlet - new gaskets on way
fit g60 injectors into fuel rail and refit
refit fuel lines
fit 4 branch - modify exhaust to suit
fit lambda bosses
regrease driveshafts and refit
refit gearlinkage
refit throttle/clutch/speedo cables
refit water pipes
charger pulley - fit and torque
fit charger feed lines
fit oil gauge sender and t-piece
refit mapped chip into ecu
refit loom
fluids (engine oil/water/gearbox oil)

cant think of anything else so driiiiiiiiive!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2013, 02:22:29 am »
Done this eve

Fitted Schrick 272 cam, replaced camshaft oil seal
Swapped over camcovers
fitted inner timing belt cover, water pump with new seal and vernier pulley
fitted knock sensor
Fitted ISV
Wired up starter
fitted ported inlet with new gasket
Fitted g60 injectors
fit 51mm throttle body/ported inlet - new gaskets thanks for Andy (randombadger69) new VW inlet gasket
Mocked up rad with quick bracket, found suitable water hoses
Connected heater matrix hoses

Job's I still have to do this weekend

Cambelt - Get from TPS tomorrow
fit cambelt / fit outer lower timing belt cover / fit toothed crank aux pulley
mark tdc on outer casings and pulley in tippex
fit outer cambelt cover
Find bolts for cam cover and fit
refit fuel lines
Remove charger and mount
Mount oil cooler
Mount rad
regrease driveshafts and refit, tighten hubnuts
refit gearlinkage
fit 4 branch - modify exhaust to suit
fit lambda sensors
refit water pipes
Finish engine mount
Refit charger
fit charger feed lines
refit loom

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2013, 05:11:34 am »
Nice progress dude 8)

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2013, 12:41:05 pm »
Got a few hours in on Saturday

regreased driveshafts and refitted
refitted gearlinkage

Spent the rest of the time trying to separate the centre section of the exhaust and removing the lambda. Everything was mega seized. Got well annoyed with everything and gave up in favour of drinks in town and a meat feast at bem brasil. So awesome.

Got over about 3 today

fitted cambelt / outer lower timing belt cover / toothed crank aux pulley / outer cambelt cover
Found bolts for Mk2 cam cover, they a different from mk3 and mk4 bolts, thankfully found 3 that came with the g40
turbo's blue cam cover

Started playing about with places to mount the oil cooler, it's going to go next to the fan on the rad

Modified the engine mount again, better but still touching - need to look into fitting a relay roller from a later engine on there to navigate the belt away from the mount

Cut out the seized lambda and welded in a plate. Cut out a couple of bosses out of another exhaust to weld in and left it there for the day

Finish engine mount
refit fuel lines
Remove charger and mount
Mount oil cooler
Mount rad
fit lambda sensors
refit water pipes
Refit charger
fit charger feed lines
refit loom
Torque hub nuts, driveshafts

Here is what I was thinking for the mount using a tension roller from a Lupo GTI

But now thinking of just using the polo mount, as we have a cut up mk3 polo and even if I run a non supercharged mk1 lump I'll still be able to use the original polo mount. Good news for my unit mate as he wants the old engine mount

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2013, 12:45:47 pm »
pm dubface - called jason as he's got a mk1 golf with a welded mount without clearance issues i think.

Pete