Author Topic: 1980 Golf LS Turbo  (Read 28475 times)

Offline randombadger69

• Members
Re: 1980 Golf LS Turbo
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 12:01:26 pm »
I know how it is, cars in pieces all over the place in a unit, shit gets begged stolen and borrowed!

Im thinking of replacing my golf internal wiring loom with a mk2 polo loom. Do you know if the mk2 polo interior loom will run off a mk3 polo engine loom. I.e. GT or G40 loom?

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 12:08:22 pm »
the GT/G40 engine loom is standalone, you have other engine bay wiring for headlights, alternator, brake pressure switch, reverse switch, coil power but thats about it!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 01:45:59 am »

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 03:07:05 pm »
Looking sweet dude!

Love the white wheels, sits really well.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 12:37:15 pm »
You copying my tyre smokings? Didnt flat patch it but did notice a nicely melted patch on closer inspection.

failings on the bump but shit unfortunately happens :(

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 01:02:39 am »
Wicked weekend at all types, what a night!

On the autojumble (I actually washed it! Albeit quickly and thanks to Matt and Kim for cleaning the wheels!)

On the return trip from Wales

Had to finish off with a pub meal

Bai bai gearbox

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2012, 01:37:12 am »
Oh shit!

You got a spare ATV amongst your "stock"?!

I picked up the bolts for the wishbone brace the other day, i'll get it sent out asap.

Looks like now may be a good time to fit it?

Andy

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2012, 01:40:05 am »
Still waiting on my seam welded wishbones to come before I can fit my polys anyway so no rush

I've got the perils and an 8p's comin from a mate. Will get the old box inspected and refurbed if ok

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2012, 11:27:10 am »
Ooh interesting. I'd like to see these when you get them. Presumably could increase the chance of knocking the chassis out though? As the wishbone will be less likely to move. Are you reinforcing around the balljoint mounting as well, to prevent "goosenecking".

8p should be reet for now.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 01:40:44 am »
I dunno mate they are coming off a guy called marts gulf blue n orange full on track monster mk1.

I'll take some pics for you as soon as I get them, fit them with some new polys and let you know how I get on

Dunno how you can drive on 13s daily my gearbox mount and the wishbone mounts are taking a beating! Especially into all types! Touching cloth wasn't the word!

Spare atv being whipped out

Atv tAken out of the golf

Looks like the splines on the paddle clutch are fubarred!

I only put this on 3 thou ago, replacing the helix organic clutch and uprated pressure plate that was on because the biting point was on the floor and it wouldn't engage the clutch. Didn't check in retrospect the clutch fitted the gearbox when I fitted it. I've got another paddle and a std clutch in the unit, checked them and they are nice and snug on the spline of the box this one is not surprisingly loose as fook!

During the 3k it's always been notchy in 2nd and 4th unless a blip of the throttle on gear change. And was sounding rattly with the clutch peddle out. When I was on the clutch (foot down) it would go. I meant to change the crb when I last did it but forgot and saw the brand new VW one staring at me as I was driving out of the unit!

Going to fit the new clutch release bearing and clutch, but would you change the box too? I could always have the current box inspected now which would mean it can get a clean bill of health!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 07:01:13 am »
Not sure if it's the angle of the picture but the splined hole doesn't look like its in the centre of the clutch plate... Time to have a measure!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2012, 01:46:24 am »
Did some investigation this evening, Both paddle clutches have 24 teeth or did in the case of the deceased above, and both input shafts on the actual and spare known good gearbox had all splines intact.

Span the cvs and the guide for the input shaft was wiggling about, after removing the bearing you can just make out the snapped lug on the guide.

Stuck a new paddle clutch on, reused the pressure plate, and popped on the perils atv, gearchanges and selection feel really good now. I do want a new 4 speed shift finger  tho as there is play in the current one, so back in daily action woop

I'll probably get the other box checked out by Tameside or geartorque to know its sweet

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2012, 02:58:46 pm »

MOT's coming up for the golfie, so its that time to rectify all the lil faults that I've never got round to doing.

Yesterday was spent making up stainless steel brackets for the radiator, realinging the bonnet catch, tucking the exhaust up some more, and welding a rear hanger on the backbox.

Also spent some time investigating the front suspension to assess what needed to be replaced.

Waiting for the following bits before I can rebuild the front of the car :-

Seam Welded Wishbones
New Steering Rack
New Steering Arms
New Track Rod Ends
New Balljoints
New Wishbone Polybushes
New Steering Rack Polybushes

(Big props to EuroCarParts for the 25 percent discount on all the service items)

I would really like to replace the universal joint but at £250+ from VW Heritage, I think i'll pass!

Also got a front lower wishbone brace thats been made up by RandomBadger69, so will be putting the 15's back on when the front is all rebuilt, which should give me the ground clearance I need to be able to not smash the brace off the world!

Further jobs for the MOT include

Welding to passenger floor and inner
Exhaust hanger for both shell and exhaust, for the midbox.
Fit new rear handbrake cable (as the old one is impossible to get fitted, as its too rusty for the springs to move freely enough to connect the cable to the shoes)
Need a new passenger door handle with key

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2012, 01:03:12 am »

well despite the work rebuilding the steering rack, there was still alot of movement and steering feel through the clutch pedal when i was steering with the clutch in (parking) turns out two welds had cracked on the steering column, and when i took it out, a third was on its way!

so welded them all up, using a g clamp to hold it snugly into where the welds once sat.

took this opportunity to clean up all the seam sealer and repaint properly in epoxy mastic as i was in no rush to get it all back together as the weekend had just started.

ended up without realising finishing up at half 8 in the morning when me and ads went to mcdonalds. i went home and got some much needed shut eye. my housemate adam who did an all nighter with me was still working on his car when i arrived back at the unit at half 3! see a shattered pidgeon below and his triumph after his epic missions!

been a long time since me n the boy done some proper all nighter steez on the cars, so comical. you know its late/early when theyve stopped playing the dance music and started on shitty chart music. and why do we always run out of phone b82rez! i need a digi camera!

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2012, 01:34:18 am »
Good stuff dude!

As you say.. the realisation of what hour it is occurs when the shitty chart music rears its ugly head again!

Got myself a job on the books recently and been seriously lacking the time for the car. Seem to end up getting on the beeers at the weekend, which results in no progression!

Keep telling myself.. next weekend i'll get on it! ::)