Author Topic: 1980 Golf LS Turbo  (Read 28479 times)

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
Re: 1980 Golf LS Turbo
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 11:35:09 am »

Woke up incredibly late today ( mid afternoon ) to be greeted with snow in Manchester! So with the terrible weather in mind and the fact I'm still rolling around on postage stamps, I thought it would wise to change the braking setup for something a bit more sensible.

It was nice to have a dry workshop but that was very quickly ruined by the fact that the car had collected half of Iceland on the trip there and I was soon rolling around in puddles! But the car is now fitted with 256mm ebc cross drilled and grooved discs, ferodo pads, Lucas 54 callipers. Noticed one of the rear cylinders was leaking so I robbed the 200mm passat drum setup off the mk1 polo, brand new drums, VW shoes, cylinders and bearings. It was all a bit of a mare to be honest had to file out part of the caliper to accept the vented discs which meant the pads had too much meat on them, which wasn't too much of a concern as the extra would get burnt off with a drive home! Some fresh 5.1 fluid replaced the jank old stuff and the car stops on a half penny. Very happy! Left the handbrake cables disconnected as I couldnt fit them ( the Bain of my existence ) and it was getting late (half 1)

Drove out the unit and bam stuck in the snow! After digging for an eternity putting car mats down, launching a load of hot water down and scraping excess snow from around the tyres with a crowbar I finally managed to emerge free! Fully west as its now half 3! Think I'll be spending tomorrow indoors in the warmth playing computer games! Yuck fou snow!

forgot to add I also welded up the exhaust on friday after work, so the bend now clears the rear of the floor pan, still gotta do the over the axle bend, but its knock free now so im happy

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 01:38:04 pm »

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 12:13:40 am »
Took delivery of my polythene sheeting and 3m refix tape so made up new door membranes and fitted some black GTI doorcards all round. Getting the rears in was a bit of a pain due to the cage being in the way but managed it in the end.

I do need the following bits if anyone can help
Passenger window mech
Passenger door pull surround and screw cover
Single plastic threaded plug in the door that the door pull handle screws into

Got rid of the chrome golfball gearknob and fitted a new empi leather one I had kicking around. Feels loads comfier. The chromey one is up for grabs if anyone's keen.

Got a new multimeter the other day as my old one had bit the dust, so whipped the throttle body off and rigged up a test system with a foot pump and a boost gauge so I could tweak the pressure switch (which replaces the digifants full throttle switch) to activate at 6 psi.

Also been looking at gauge mounts as I don't want to drill any holes in the dash and don't want a din plate as I will be fitting a stereo soon. Spotted stack rollcage mounts but they were pricey at 25 pound a piece! Far more than I want to spend and I hate the look of the pillar mounts as they look cheap and tacky! Had a brainwave last night for a quick solution involving a jubilee clamp around the cage and some cable ties to hold the gauge in place! Works a treat :)

With the ability to actually see what boost I'm putting out, I've noticed that I'm only getting 0.5 bar max so I'm guessing I either need to tweak the actuator rod length.

Got a few lengths of stainless piping and an over the axle mandrel bend and a flexi pipe so next weeks job will be finishing off the exhaust system, fitting the harnesses and new seats and adjusting the gear linkage slightly. Once that's all out the way I'll be able to concentrate on finishing 2 of the olops at the unit woop woop

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 11:14:30 am »
Nice one dude, you do crack on! The MK1 must be a beaut with a G turbo?! This is what i want to do with my mk1.

I'll have a butchers for one of them plastic inserts for the door handle screws, iv prob got one somewhere!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 07:52:01 pm »
Cheers mate would be much appreciated. Gave the car it's longest drive this week 260 mile round trip, didn't miss a beat and scared a few including me on our country roads. Looking forward to winding the boost up and seeing what it's like when it's pushing out a bar.

Hopefully grabbing an intercooler off pete soon and can start tigging up some 1 piece boost piping to clean up the bay a bit.

I do miss the g lader feel tho so I'm gonna have to get the grey g out the unit and fix the peril so I can have some supercharged fun again!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 12:49:17 pm »
Couple of pictures from the Manc:Union meet on Sunday

Got a few odd jobs done

Fitted Harnesses
Fitted Mk3 G40 Rocker Cover
Fitted a new t-piece for an oil pressure and oil temp sender
Fitted a new grill with non-broken tabs

Got a few jobs to do tonight

Fit Oil Pressure & Temp Guage and wire up.
Troubleshoot brake lights as they decided to no longer work =/
Complete the rear section of the exhaust system
weld subframes for new seats

Also got some banded steels on the way, 14x8 :)

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 06:59:15 pm »
Ahhh dang - didn't know about this meet! When's the next one?

Car's looking schweet. Nice work soldier.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 01:10:28 pm »
needs a wash hahah! and yeah forgot to say.

last sunday of every month d00d

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 11:50:30 pm »
Well I\'ve not driven the golf Last week since the meet due to having other commitments but jumped back on it on Saturday.

Picked up some banded steelies (14x8 driver steels) all with 195 45 14s on, although one had suffered a blow out so has been refitted with a new 195 45 14 yoko I had lying spare.

Tooke the fuse box apart and it was a grot fest inside. Cleaned up all the contacts as best as I could and managed to get the headlights working again via the fusebox, omitting another section of sketchy wiring added by the previous owner.

However the brakes still didn\'t work boo! I\'d already tested the switch which was working fine, and if I fed power to the black/red wire of the rear loom the brakes light came on, so it must be a dodgy internal connection of the fuse box. Just rigged up a circuit from terminal 30 on the fusebox to a fuse to the pressure switch, which then feeds into the rear loom for the brake lights.

Rich kindly donated me a later blade type fusebox and hopefully a loom and I can replace the woeful s1 boxs at the fraction of price of replacing the early fusebox.

Made up an over axle bend for the exhaust as its been half finished since I put engine in and welded a flexi into the system where then downpipe meets the centre box.

The rear system is just a straight through pipe with a bastuck style upswept tip.

Wanted to weld on hangers but ran out of gas :( however the mid box is still sitting to low despite moving it further towards the front of the car to clear the handbrake cables, so think I\'m just got to fit a straight through pipe in place of the midbox and use the midbox as the rear silencer.

Finished up this evening by sticking the wheels on, will get some more gas tomorrow and crack on with the rest of the exhaust , hangers and if I get some time, some seat frame adjustments to the new seats.

I\'ll grab some pics tomo of the new wheels in the day

But for now

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:05:35 am by grungeisdead »

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 01:28:19 pm »
Some pics :)

Ignore the wetness, thats from my Mk3 G40, the thermostat housing is leaking so is being replaced this week.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 12:17:05 am »
Got some more gas, replaced the centre box with straight through pipe for and used the centre box as the backbox.

Loads more ground clearance :)

Need to buy some 8mm rod to weld some hangers to the exhaust but its not going anywhere in a hurry :)

So just driving and enjoying while I give the grey g a service this week and crack on with the comet blue next week

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2012, 08:58:48 pm »
Friendly wheel couriers ftw ;)

Wheels look mad mate. shame the dodgy back street guy put the weights on the wrong side! Scuffed my wheel too :(

was fookin funny watching him try to remove the blown out tyre!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 11:25:46 pm »
I was in tears haha. Legend mate ta :)

Well been an interesting couple of weeks! Bumped into the back of some bird at about 5mph, cold tyres cold brakes wet tarmac and people stopping in stupid locations led to...

So parked it up for a few days while I modified and welded up the existing subframes to mount my Koenig seats.

Took the wing out and bashed out the dent out as well as semi straightening the headlight surround, but noticed a few rusty patches at the bottom of the outer sill and some on the floor panel. Welded in some new panels in place which don't look differerent from factory despite bending thick metal ( all I had at the time ) in a vice with a hammer! Now that I'm a bit more confident with welding, I got hold a front floor panel and outer sill and will fabricate my own inner sill. Also going to remove the cage and mount it a bit more sensibly than the previous owners.

So anyway got the car back on the road, running well until my biting point of the clutch was on the floor and eventually non existent! After messing about with the cable I manned up on Saturday and whipped the clutch out, pleasantly surprised to find out there was a helix organically lined clutch on there! However that made way for a helix 4 paddle clutch and new pressure plate. Stupidly I forgot to fit my new vag clutch release bearing but its cool it. Can stay on the shelf for now!

Clutch biting point restored, which means I don't have to weld a proper repair plate in the bulkhead just yet ( bolted a repair in place for the time being )

Woke up this morning to see Yousaf wash me written in the dirt in the side of the car as I haven't washed it since I first got it, so here are the pics.

If anyone has a spare passenger headlight and a front panel the hit me up :)

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 11:43:33 pm »
Wounder on the bumpage! Looking very well otherwise dude!

Wish i could help on the light, but mine are "borrowed" off a mate, haha!

I'm sure they're still available from hella (at a cost).

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 11:48:22 pm »
Yeah man not bothered about originals will probably get some smoked cross hairs!

I've still gotta get round to finding time to doing a full rewire, going to upgrade to the later series 2 fusebox

George keeps borrowing g40 bits off me and I keep borrowing mk1 bits off my mate Rich!

Way of the world brother way of the world