Author Topic: roof lining  (Read 3174 times)

Offline RyanC

• Members
roof lining
« on: January 14, 2012, 02:40:27 pm »
is it easy to remove roof lining in one peace and fitting a new one?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: roof lining
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 05:35:59 pm »
not really, need windscreen and rear windows out

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 12:31:43 pm »
oh ok thanks anyway :)

Offline 86C

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 01:38:40 am »
It's a pain in the arse!

Done a few now and everytime I say I'll never do another  :D

You need to take all the windows out and the door seals off.

I used some aerosol spray tack to glue the edges up but it's messy so you need to be careful not to get it on the car bodywork/interior.
The liner tends to be rotten around the tailgate aperture so it's best removed from the front backwards, being extra careful at this area.
You'll find when you're refitting, you'll end up removing bits you've already glued up until it's tensioned correctly.

'Scuse the dirt... It's not been cleaned yet ;D

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:14:52 pm »
thanks alot mate its put me off a bit now tho lol :)

Offline Jacque

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 01:12:37 pm »
Hi,

little question, i would like to replace my antenne. the rubber around is wearing out  (bits are breaking off..)

Do you need to remove the roof lining completely for good acces?  => meaning the back windows out aswell??

would be a bummer :)
Grtz

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 02:06:24 pm »
if you buy a replacement from ebay... they stretch over the top with hot water!

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 05:21:02 pm »
Hi,

little question, i would like to replace my antenne. the rubber around is wearing out  (bits are breaking off..)

Do you need to remove the roof lining completely for good acces?  => meaning the back windows out aswell??

No need to take any windows out. You just need to open the tailgate and remove the rubber seal along the top edge of the boot opening. Very carefully peel off the roof lining where it is glued along the edge. Go slowly as it is very easy to tear (gentle heat may help). If I remember correctly, when you have undone it you can reach in and unclip the first wire support bar. This should give enough access to get to the aerial to undo it. Original aerial hole is square on a genuine G40 shell so aerial can only go in one direction. The replacement I used had a round fitting so you may need to make sure it is in the correct position before tightening up (line up on rear wiper spindle). I also used a small amount of silicone sealant under the new aerial base to prevent leaks.  My original aerial had a screw thread connector for the RF lead and I had to modify my replacement aerial using the original's connector. The aerial is powered so there is also a 12V connection wire.