Author Topic: Knocking noise posible suspension issue?  (Read 8193 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Knocking noise posible suspension issue?
« on: December 22, 2011, 12:29:26 am »
Trying to solve a knocking noise coming from the car which is making the engine shudder. If im decelerating then ever soo slightly accelerate i hear this knock. Definalty not the engine mounts as they were all replaced then my engine was rebuilt but my tca's were replaced about 1 year 6 months ago and they weren't g40 ones, yoof tutted when fitting the stage 3 frame lol. The top mounts were changed last month with vw ones and still got this knocking. Feels like the wheels are moving back and forth moving the engine via the driveshafts. Im thinking it could be TCA's are shagged.

Any suggestions?

Planning to change all top mounts and suspension in feb/march but trying to solve this 1st.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:31:09 am by Jezza-7 »

Offline cheys03

• Members
Re: Knocking noise posible suspension issue?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 01:17:57 am »
All bolts on the subframe still nice and tight? I had something similar when the offside subframe arm was loose - the nut and bolt on the 'elbow' of the arm where it meets the TCA needed tightening and all was well. If I grabbed the offside wheel with the car on the ground, and turned the wheel back/forth it would shift a little and knock.

I still get another knocking when going over bumps with the car in neutral or decelerating though which I need to check, but sounds a little like your symptoms also.

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:26:46 pm »
try your drive shaft nuts, they might be slack. i have had this happen on a couple of vw's

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 06:40:43 pm »
did you suss this problem out? i have exactly the same symptoms as you describe.
but all my suspension is completely standard
Taylor

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 09:09:44 pm »
Never really found it to be honest. I have only done 3k miles since then so hopefully will look into once it backs on road. Changing the suspension soon so hopefully will find/solve the problem.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 02:13:55 pm »
Not sure if this is the problem with yours but, new VW engine mounts have a centre bush which is too long, and doesn’t allow any compression on the rear C-mount (gearbox mount) rubber, meaning the rubber is fairly pointless!

I’ve taken them out on a few cars and cut 5-10mm off the metal bush, allowing you to compress the rubber, and thus raise the engine angle at the back (which is dropped when fitting a subframe).

Other than that, the usual TCA bushes, compression strut rose joints (new ones from Rally Design £15 a pop I think) check as Chris says all bolts are tight (I paint penned all of them) and check your offside front TCA mount to chassis. From memory the rear TCA bolts holes on your car had been elongated by a muppet, check the TCA bolt isn’t rattling around in there too.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 06:10:24 pm »
I think it was that forward mount that goes onto the chassis that was screwed as i got one from you.

Prob worth taking that rear mount off and cutting some of the bush down to see if this solves it. Havent got much engine movement though. All bolts were fine when i last checked them as i replaced the tca's.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:31:39 pm »
Ive just ordered 3 new poly engine mounts, phil j ones :) and an h&r cup kit with new mounts, hoping this solves it :)
where can you get rose jointed inner tca bushes? can you send me a link to the correct ones as ill only buy the wrong ones lol
taylor

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 04:59:06 pm »
When you fitting the h&r kit?

Im deciding between that and the more expensive bilstein b12 kit or what ever it is.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 06:13:05 pm »
Was supposed to be fitting it today... but it hasn't arrived :( not that it matters as i cant get the locking wheel bolts out, i broke the halfrauds tool. i bought the car 3 months ago and the prick didnt give me the locking tool, even though i know he had it because he changed the rear shocks
might write something on seller reviews. anyway not to rant
i will hopefully be fitting it next weekend and let you know the results :) ive only ever heard good things and i got mine at a bargain price :D
Taylor

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 06:13:38 pm »
Was supposed to be fitting it today... but it hasn't arrived :( not that it matters as i cant get the locking wheel bolts out, i broke the halfrauds tool. i bought the car 3 months ago and the prick didnt give me the locking tool, even though i know he had it because he changed the rear shocks
might write something on seller reviews. anyway not to rant
i will hopefully be fitting it next weekend and let you know the results :) ive only ever heard good things and i got mine at a bargain price :D
Taylor

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 08:30:45 pm »
Yeah i have heard a lot of good things about them.

Have you tried an 17/18mm socket on it? My mate had a problem when he couldnt get his off so we put the socket over the locking bolt and hit it on with a hammer. Undid it really easy actually, makes locking ones pointless.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 08:31:17 pm »
What price you get them for? Cheapest i found is £330 i think.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 09:12:41 pm »
Yeah i have heard a lot of good things about them.

Have you tried an 17/18mm socket on it? My mate had a problem when he couldnt get his off so we put the socket over the locking bolt and hit it on with a hammer. Undid it really easy actually, makes locking ones pointless.

Haha, wish that had worked. i spent about two hours hammering chisels and various sockets onto it, tried the special left hand thread tool, stripped all the threads, even broke out the air chisel, nothing would touch it! gonna have to get the belt sander on it and just grind them down for about 4 years

ah, i didnt get them new. theyve got about 8000 miles on them from saf or grunge is dead, think his name is, £265 delivered but came with top mounts, bearings and the complete strut, which is ideal as mine are fudged and i want to refurbish the struts then swap them back over.
how much is the b12 kit? ive also heard very good things about that, but its still early days and hasn't been on the market as long

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 09:40:15 pm »
ah thats a shame that lot didnt work!

them b12 kits are around £470.