Author Topic: G40 Altinator Problem  (Read 2521 times)

Offline boyzey

• Members
G40 Altinator Problem
« on: November 20, 2011, 08:47:50 pm »
hiya guys any body now the insides of a g40 altinator, basicaly ive gone to remove the small wire i think works the charge light on the dash, but the 2 nuts wer seized to the stud in to altinator, so i think the stud might have spun inside the altinator but not 100% sure, wanting to no if i culd have snaped a wire or connection internaly,
any help much apriciated thanx

Offline cheys03

• Members
Re: G40 Altinator Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 11:44:02 pm »
I've turned this stud before and been ok after turning it back again. So long as it wasn't more than 45degrees or so you should be fine. If you want to avoid removing the alternator and stripping it down to check, just run the engine and make sure the stud (with the wire disconnected) sees 13.5v or so. If not and you still don't want to remove it and strip it down then you can take the signal from the brush/regulator pack - you just need to solder a wire onto one of the contacts. Removing the brush/regulator pack can be done with the alternator still on the car and is 2 screws.

Offline boyzey

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:35:46 pm »
oryt mate thanx for reply i went a good turn atleast, altinator is alredy removed am on with re build so running to check is not an option am afraid, are we on same wire hear im on bout little blue wire that runs charge light, the reson i am worring is i get a resistance reading of 0.13 through the terminal and i have compaired it to a 1 ltre altinator and that shows no resistance thats all i could think of to test it   
thanx for help

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:40:17 pm »
Yeah, the tiny stud for the blue wire is the one I'm on about.

Confirm this with the 1L alternator first, but from memory the little stud should have continuity to the 'prong' that you can see inside the alternator when you've taken the brush/regulator pack off. If the 1L does but the G40 one doesn't, then it's time to strip it and get the soldering iron out.

Offline boyzey

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 09:12:31 pm »
oryt mate cheers yes i no wat you mean you take the little pack of with 2 screws ant thers like a spring contact, wen you so continuity do you mean set the multimetre to check for a compleat circuit im not amazing with a multimeter haha

thanx again ye

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 10:10:59 pm »
Yeah exactly, (from memory) it should be a complete circuit

Offline boyzey

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 09:00:17 pm »
oryt mate its looking good dont think any damage being done, had my brother give me hand hes more clued up with multimeters, and yes like you thought ther is a complet circuit through both altinators, and we checked the resistance through the problem terminal and i was wrong ther is resistance in both altinators, one had more but i cant remember wich but g40 has mor amps so am gessing the difference is ok
 so thanx for all help ye