Author Topic: Car wont start  (Read 5112 times)

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
Car wont start
« on: October 25, 2011, 07:38:47 am »
Im having a bit of trouble at the moment.

When i turn the key i get a maximum of about two turns of the startor motor and then it just clicks, I have tried a neighbours battery, and i have even bought a new battery as i thought it was that which was at fault.

All the batteries were reading a good 12 volts when tried, and the altornator reads 13.7 volts when i finaly get it running.

The only way it will get a good set of turns on the startor motor is when its jump started from another running car.

Are the bushes on the startor motor known for getting dirty and not connecting to the motor propperly, or is this a comlpetley different matter i need to look at.

I highly doubt that 3 batteries are to be faulty so im ruleing that out.

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
Re: Car wont start
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 11:35:04 am »
Just another quicky whilst i have a thread open.

Is there any difference between the 1.3cl and the g40 lambder sensor.

Also is there any diference between the 1.3cl and the g40 starter motor.

as i have both left over from my conversion, and my revs are still hunting about, so i thought the lambder sensor may need replacing.

Gav

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 11:40:34 am »
no they are the same

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 04:45:21 pm »
If all batteries are ok and it starts off a jump, I'd look at your earth strap which is getting bypassed when you jump start.

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 05:04:38 pm »
Which earth strap there are many, I have looked at them all and they all seem ok, but maybee i need to remove them and clean them up to make sure they are earthing propperly.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:58:07 pm »
Hi, mine is doing the exact same thing, it started turning slowly as if the battery was flat but had 2 different batteries on it, now its just ticking so any ideas?

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 10:14:06 pm »
It's the earth from the battery to the body, front the charger to the chassis and from the gearbox to the chassis that you'll be interested in.

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 07:51:54 am »
I gave them all a scrub last night and still nothing, its starting to P*ss me off big time. On the other hand my girlfriend is getting fitter as she is having to pust me to bump start it at the moment  ;D.

I also checked all the wiring and it seems to be fine, i will be swapping over the starter motor from my other engine at the weekend so fingers crossed that should sort it out.

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 10:18:27 am »
I had the same problem with my second car (a Renault 19) and I took the starter motor out, got it cleaned and greased and it starts like a champion now! I guess mug is getting in the reducer ceasing the motor. It only turns twice because that is what it takes for the mug to harden and stop it! Not a very easy job to do and it only cost me about 40€ to get it properly done at a car electric workshop with the replacement of contacts and stuff!

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 11:58:28 am »
Ive rang round a few places in preston, and the majority of places have come back with a quote of £70 to re-con it.

You can get a new one off ebay for £90. so i may just have to strip it and clean it up as good as i can. and keep it as a spare.

Is it a pig of a job to raplace the starter motor whilst the engine is in the car?

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 02:58:54 pm »
its pretty easy to replace on the car from above if youve got slender arms, going from underneath if the best option if your arms are a bit stumpy.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 06:17:11 pm »
Don't go off half cocked on this; if it starts on a jump then the starter's probably OK. You say that batteries you tried had a good twelve volts, but a well charged battery will be showing at least 12.8v. Get a well charged battery and give it a go first.

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 08:05:33 am »
Two of the batteries were brand new and have never been used. So its definatly not the battery thats at fault.

I bypassed all the earthing straps, and clipped a jump lead to the negative of the battery and to a good metal part of the engine to see if it was an earthing issue but i still have the same problem. The only thing i can think of now is the starter motor, everything i try leads back to it.

To be honest the starter motor has never sounded very strong it sounded like it was trying to turn the engine over with it filled full of treakle instead of oil, so i am more inclined to say that its the starter motor for sure.

Seeing as i have a spare at my mums I may as well give it a go and see what happens.

Cheers for all your help guys Ill keep you informed.

Gav

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 04:31:02 pm »
check out the fuel pump relay. this happend to my car, the relay got water, all pin turned green, so the fuel pump was allways pumping, when i turn the key to start the car, fuel pump didn't work.

oh, and the battery wouldn't last more than 2 days

Offline NealPeal

• Members
  • Stupid is as stupid does
    • LightDiodeDesignsUK YouTubeChannel (Fun of all sorts)
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 06:09:31 pm »
If you can get an avo or digimeter, measure the voltage between battery - and the engine metal, see if it goes up, or then, between the + and the starter fat input... If there's voltage read there when your turning her over (more than a couple of volts) is a bridge been burned somewhere... I think they crank about 35amps but not sure if I remember that from this car. Low compression means low starter load normally.
Worth a look bud
NEAL