Author Topic: tuning  (Read 5869 times)

Offline jox

• Members
tuning
« on: October 18, 2008, 06:38:03 pm »
hello im new and might be swapping my renault 5 gt turbo for a g40

how much would it cost to take a standard g40 to 150-160 bhp and whats needed sorry if this has been asked so manny times i have used search but becuase im not familuar with the g40 i have no idea what people are talking about when the mention gladders lol.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: tuning
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 07:46:54 pm »
prob about £800 for so from totally standard to about 150bhp.  First things to do:

- service and port the charger ~£500
- toothed charger drive belt conversion and 65mm pulley ~£250 (if I remember correctly)
- remapped chip ~£30 (check fathernugen section on club polo forum)
- remove restriction from standard air box for fit an induction kit. From £0 to about £50 depending on what you do
- boost return modification (search for it).  Mod itself is free if you can do it yourself then you just need to buy charger lube which we sell for £13.00 (check merchandise section on main site)

That should take you to about 150 is your engine is generally healthy and still good compression etc...

You'll probably want to give the entire braking system a good service at this point.  Not so much uprating anything (apart from swapping flexi pipes for braided ones which are about £40) but just renewing worn out bits and giving parts (esp the rear drum internals) a good strip down and clean.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 07:52:23 pm »
Get yourself a decat downpipe too, VAG ones are about £90 + vat new and marry up to the stock system. This set up should be fine up to 150bhp, anymore and you might want a full custom system.

Worthwhile getting a Polo GT inlet manifold (bigger bore than G40 one) to accompany the other mods. These can be picked up for £30-£40, although you will loose a bit of low down grunt in favor of top end gains.

Offline jox

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 08:20:58 pm »
im trying to find out about the eaton chager conversions but google isnt helpin is there any guides to fitting and parts needed, i read for 150 bhp you can use the gladder but i want an eaton for its wine

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 09:35:35 pm »
If you want an Eaton conversion there are a couple of kits. PSD (pitstop developments) did a kit although PSD is no more and the kits are rarer than rocking horse poo ( i found one ;-) ) AWT also did a kit but there are issues with keeping things securely mounted so i've heard. Someone maybe able to give you more info on this.

You'd need : larger FMIC, charger, boost pipes, bigger injectors (G60 greens or red injectors), chip, larger throttlebody, pulleys and probably afew more bits n bobs that i've forgotten.

PM Georgio on here who has a eaton'd powered G. He should be able to fill you in a little better on what you'll need.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 09:36:26 pm »

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 11:13:27 pm »
I've done pretty much all of what Hayesey mentions above including a ported GT inlet manifold. I'm running a stock airbox and exhaust and intend to keep it that way. I've just put a decat pipe on however, last year with the cat on mine made 142bhp. My old G ran 150 with a a big cone air filter on and a SS exhaust on but the difference could be down to the charger or engine etc so take that with a pinch of salt really imo.

People have made 170+ with G laders on in the past so the limit for them isnt 150. If I was going to ditch the Lader in the future though I would defo go turbo. The eaton way just dosent offer the advantages and flexibilty compare to turbo for me especially when you factor in trying to get hold of a decent eaton bracket setup.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 12:31:56 am »
over 190 has been made with the 40mm g-lader so 150 isn't anything to worry about.  Eatons are less efficient superchargers than a g-lader anyway, they are just cheap and strong so can be over-revved without worrying about seals blowing so much.

Personally, if you're going to get rid of the g-lader I can't see any point in anything except a turbo these days.  I'm getting rid of my g-lader for a K03 turbo, just so I can rag it more without worrying about blowing the charger!  Plus can make more boost with the turbo without worrying about blowing it.

Offline jox

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 03:01:07 pm »
some intresting replys here as i say im very new to the g40 engine and need to do a bit more research iv totaly fell in love with the sound of the eaton chargers tho  ;D. but its been said sorcing parts is dificult so thats a concern, is there any companys that stock eaton chargers? also what do the standard injectors fuel upto bhp wise? if i swap my 5 for this polo it wont be for a month or two before i have the cash for a eaton conversion but id like to think sourcing all the parts wont be impossible as ill be a bit gutted as one of the reasons i want to swap is for an eaton.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 03:14:31 pm »
the eaton chargers are usually fairly easy to find.  They come off BMW mini cooper s's when they go in for the JCW conversion.  They just take the original charger off and put a ported one on.  So the old chargers regularly come up on ebay with basically no miles on them.  Normally between £100-£150. But they will get harder and harder to find since the current cooper S is turbo'd.

It's the fitting kit you will struggle to get off the shelf.  PSD only ever made about four of them in total so getting one will be near impossible.  Not sure how many AWT made or if they still make them but there have been known problems with the strength of these kits.  Probably the best option is to make your own if you are able to.  Or pay a tuner to do it.  You are going to be talking a fair amount of money though.

I don't see the point myself, either stick with the G-Lader as it will easily make the power you want, and have you heard the noise of a g-lader with toothed belts?  Much nicer noise than an eaton if you ask me.  The other option is to fit a K03 turbo which is becoming a very common conversion for g40s now. 

Offline jox

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 03:31:32 pm »
hmmm  a g-ladder with toothed belts you say = nicer noise? are they as loud as a eaton? thats very intresting anyone got any audio/video clips of one?.The eaton does sound like lot of hassel for what its worth which is off putting especialy as for the power i want 150bhp the g-ladder is more than capable. im not after major power from this car its more my love for vws that counts and g40's are diffrent non chavved. its the sound of the charger i love the most i love my 5turbo but the turbo sound can be heard everywhere you go not very often you hear a nice charger.

how much do would a toothed pully cost? and are they straigh forward to fit or isit an engine out kind of job?

alright then the eaton is out of the question for now. im gussing the chargers work simular to a turbo only its drivern off the crank and supplysa constant boost? how do you go about upping the boost do you use diffrent size pulleys?

sorry if this post is dragging on by the way!

i noticed the 0-60 time is 8.0 seconds which is quikcer than most cars running the same bhp. my ultimate goal will be around 150bhp but i dont plan trying to get in all in one go? what are the 1st mods you would recomend other than induction it and exhaust i dont really class them as bhp increasing mods, what are the main mods that give significant gains?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 04:05:38 pm »
well I think this is about the only video I have of mine, you can hear the charger noise a bit although the exhaust is quite loud too

http://derby.polog40.co.uk/videos/g40catfiddle.wmv

24MB file though!

Hearing one for real would be best, where abouts are you?  Maybe someone nearish would be willing to demonstrate?

Offline jox

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 04:14:21 pm »
that sounds sweet! sounds like  a tubo motorbike lol pmsl @ the sheep whats the spec of your engine mate?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 04:21:32 pm »
not much really, should be on about 150-160bhp.  Basically the engine is:

- toothed belts
- sns chip and g60 injectors
- gt inlet manifold
- powerflow exhaust
- jetex cone filter