Author Topic: The G40  (Read 5658 times)

Offline N1CKY

• Members
The G40
« on: September 20, 2011, 06:22:59 pm »
Well here is the G40 its had a Turbo conversion with Volvo T5 turbo. It did have a K03 on but it was making it smoke like a biatch and i had a T5 turbo in the shed. It has a Rothe motorsport exhaust manifold and front mounted intercooler. The person before me painted it a pinky colour as you will see in some of the images, So i gave it a going over with some chrome look paint untill i buy a new one. Few months ago i decided to convert it to power steering using a Corsa B electric power steering unit. It was a nightmare to modify but i got it done in the end. The car also has Imoboliser/Alarm and remote central locking. I have no idea what the alloy wheels are but i think it finishes it of nicely. Anyway here are the piccyturesss.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: The G40
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:22:26 pm »
how did you get the volve turbo to fit the rothe manifold did you weld on a new flange or is it direct fit ?? does it make more power than the k03 ??
 ive always wondered about power steering i was thinking of using the corsa stuff aswell how is it working out for you ?? was it hard to fit ?
 good work in all hope its fun to drive !!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 02:10:54 am »
Mk1 golf boys have been onto the corsa pas stuff for years. Fair play for doing it, although its not something I think thats necessary for a mk1-3 polo!

What cam are you running and you got.it mapped yet? Would look far tidier with a sleathy fmic.

Cheers for sharin anyway

Offline N1CKY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 06:06:15 pm »
The T5 doesnt bolt on to the rothe manifold i had to make an adapter plate that allows me to bolt the T5 on, that way i could still put a K03 on if i wanted. Yes its alot more power than the K03, Not sure if that was because my K03 was fooked or what ? And the PAS isnt a hard job to do its just time consuming and very tedious.

Im not sure what type the cam is, how could i identify it ? ill jot some numbers down off it later as the head is off and stripped.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 06:25:05 pm »
The td04hl is the turbo I was thinking of trying next I did have a gt17 buy sold it as they seem to be plangued by reliability issues and I couldn't find a decent compressor map for it ! The td04 is my new flavour of the month I'm thinking of a td04 13t from a scooby as there cheap as you like, would be interested to have a look at your adaptor plate.
  Also did you have to mod the downpipe and oil and water lines much ??
 And when is it spoooling and full boosting for you??

Offline N1CKY

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 07:20:07 pm »
The td04hl is the turbo I was thinking of trying next I did have a gt17 buy sold it as they seem to be plangued by reliability issues and I couldn't find a decent compressor map for it ! The td04 is my new flavour of the month I'm thinking of a td04 13t from a scooby as there cheap as you like, would be interested to have a look at your adaptor plate.
  Also did you have to mod the downpipe and oil and water lines much ??
 And when is it spoooling and full boosting for you??

It isnt too pretty, Made it quickly when the K03 popped its clogs.

And waterlines were just re-routing really, And the downpipe was a simple cut/rotate/weld.

Painting engine bay currently.

Before

Stonechip

Primer

More to come :)

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 05:11:42 am »
I've been wandering about EPS in a Polo for a while..... Is that the system that doesn't need wheel speed sensors, so just gives a constant assist? I build/ test them where I work but they're a nightmare IMO and wouldn't really want an EPS system myself, I think I'd rather have hydraulic, lol

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 11:41:04 am »
Audi 80 steering wheel does it for me.

Offline N1CKY

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 06:46:17 pm »
I've been wandering about EPS in a Polo for a while..... Is that the system that doesn't need wheel speed sensors, so just gives a constant assist? I build/ test them where I work but they're a nightmare IMO and wouldn't really want an EPS system myself, I think I'd rather have hydraulic, lol

You need to buy a little ECU from ebay to controll the EPS. Its a simple little box with a potentiometer (Little dial) to ajust the wheel speed. I think it was £30 ? Anyway that coupled with a £40 Corsa EPS unit from the scrappy. £70 isnt a bad price for the luxury of power steering.

1st Coat

2nd Coat

Clear/Lacquer

Clear/Lacquer

Strut-Brace and Bonnet Struts

Sorry for some of the blurryness on some photos, my hand isn’t too steady. I can assure you the paint is perfect though, couldnt be more pleased :D

Rear disk conversion this weekend :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:54:17 pm by N1CKY »