Author Topic: 0-60 time, quarter mile for standard car?  (Read 26363 times)

Offline DMWG40

• Members
Re: 0-60 time, quarter mile for standard car?
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2011, 02:39:04 pm »
book time is 8.1 seconds, magasine reports at the time reckoned more like 7.1. 

but this is all irrelevant.  just go and test drive one and see if you like it or not.

so how come the book time is a full second slower?  ???
you have to remember the era these came out they restricted it alot so not to make it quicker then its big bro the golf gti

Offline martinjc1981

• Members
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2011, 06:30:58 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. Was speaking to a friend who knows a bit about polo g40's. Few years back a pal of his had one which was completely standard and he raced it against a seat leon cupra r which was approx 240bhp. The polo was ahead to 100mph. Im impressed. Great cars it seems.

Offline Peterpolo

• Members
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2011, 09:45:15 pm »
Bloody Nora!

Offline Aza_rallye

• Members
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2011, 11:16:10 pm »
Having owned my G for a couple of months now I wouldnt say they were fast,mines standard apart from a decat,my friend has dc2 integra standard and he leaves me,and they will out handle the g40 anyday but it is newer and more refined! I purchased my G as a daily driver for it's quirkyness and it's a giggle to drive! The integea is a completely different car! You need to drive one as all your mates can say I onced raced a 9000bhp skyline and beat it and it only had a k&n filter!! Just buy a Saxo Vts or similar and that won't be far off the pace if not quicker I'n standard form and there about £900 and you won't be trashing a decent g40!! Also a standard G would not beat a 240bhp seat to 100 they mite be heavy cars but there not full of lead!!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:19:46 pm by Aza_rallye »

Offline martinjc1981

• Members
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2011, 12:27:50 pm »
Having owned my G for a couple of months now I wouldnt say they were fast,mines standard apart from a decat,my friend has dc2 integra standard and he leaves me,and they will out handle the g40 anyday but it is newer and more refined! I purchased my G as a daily driver for it's quirkyness and it's a giggle to drive! The integea is a completely different car! You need to drive one as all your mates can say I onced raced a 9000bhp skyline and beat it and it only had a k&n filter!! Just buy a Saxo Vts or similar and that won't be far off the pace if not quicker I'n standard form and there about £900 and you won't be trashing a decent g40!! Also a standard G would not beat a 240bhp seat to 100 they mite be heavy cars but there not full of lead!!!

Thats the story I heard about the cupra leon. So a vts would be faster then?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2011, 12:36:48 pm »
all these stories of "a mate of a mate down the pub said..." make me laugh. Who honestly gives a shit what cars a g40 is faster than or not?  And don't forget, these 240bhp or whatever cars might have been driven by idiots or (often the case!) people who didnt think they were even in a "race".  Just go and test drive one and if you like it, buy it.  If you are wanting the fastest car on the planet then it's not a g40.

Truth is a totally standard g40 isnt really that fast, especially in comparison with more modern hot hatches.  And the 1970s design chassis certainly doesnt help, even with a simple straight line drag race, the front wheels are moving around loads.

But their beauty is that you dont have to do much to make them pretty crazy.  65mm pulley, chip, sort the air box out and you've got a bloody good fun car that will hold it's own against much more modern stuff and cars that on paper, should be quicker.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2011, 12:40:40 pm »
in all honesty, from the way you come across via your postings on here, a saxo would be more tailored to your needs of traffic light grand prix's and on the road tom-foolery.

we have kept neck and neck with an e36 m3 in a circa 150bhp G40, both two up with a gearbox in the back of the g40, both drivers gunning for it.

as paul says the handling leaves little to be desired in standard form and now compared to modern day hatches you need to spend a good amount on choice modifications before you can come close, however the fun factor when on-boost in a unsafe shoebox will leave you grinning from ear to ear, every time you drive it!

Offline martinjc1981

• Members
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2011, 12:45:16 pm »
in all honesty, from the way you come across via your postings on here, a saxo would be more tailored to your needs of traffic light grand prix's and on the road tom-foolery.

we have kept neck and neck with an e36 m3 in a circa 150bhp G40, both two up with a gearbox in the back of the g40, both drivers gunning for it.

as paul says the handling leaves little to be desired in standard form and now compared to modern day hatches you need to spend a good amount on choice modifications before you can come close, however the fun factor when on-boost in a unsafe shoebox will leave you grinning from ear to ear, every time you drive it!

neck and neck with an e36 m3 in a polo with 150bhp? yeah right!

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2011, 01:17:33 pm »

neck and neck with an e36 m3 in a polo with 150bhp? yeah right!
What would you know Martin - you dont own one nor do you know what they can be capable of. Yoof did 12.5 on a quarter mile which is HUGELY fast for loads of things let alone a 1.3l polo.
READ WHAT WE ARE SAYING the fun factor in these cars isn't about how fast it is or what we can beat in a race but it's the driving characteristics of the little charged engine that will make you smile time after time all day long which is something we here will all agree on.

Anyone can claim they beat something in a race, in fact - I once beat a veyron in a race while on the way to a track day where I beat Lewis Hamilton in his F1 car. Drive one. See how fun they are and you'll see why we keep saying they are so fucking fun.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2011, 01:24:28 pm »
wasnt my G40 nor my BMW so no reason to lie, but the BMW owner (a good friend of the G's driver) spent the next week mithering him to sell it to him!

Believe what you want to believe mate, as said people can only offer thier own experiences, theres so many variables to take into account, including the size of your cajones when driving enthusiatically on public roads against someone, when it only takes one copper to spot you and do you both for racing on public highways.

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2011, 07:47:13 pm »
TBH, I wish this posted could be locked, this blokes getting on my tits.
FFS Martin, we've told you enough times about these cars. I don't think you actually understand what we are saying though, they can be very quick indeed, Yoofs ones is unbelievably fast - a 12.5 sec 1/4 mile time is a SERIOUSLY quick time. And it handles too.
Get a Saxo or something else please - and be done with it. >:(

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2011, 08:09:23 pm »
Can this be locked? I think this is going out of hand and there are clearly no benefits of this to anyone.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2011, 06:38:32 pm »
Agree. It's starting to sound juvenile.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2011, 08:27:17 pm »
The masses have spoken!  ;D