Author Topic: 0-60 time, quarter mile for standard car?  (Read 26378 times)

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
Re: 0-60 time, quarter mile for standard car?
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2011, 12:28:14 am »
Mines 135bhp and gets 40mpg round town and 50+ on motorways

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2011, 12:34:12 am »

I just don't think such a rare car should just be for people who want a "lights racer" plenty of
others out there which can be tashed around. I bought mine from a guy who refused £600 more than I offered from someone else because he didn't want it being trashed.

Plenty of other cars out there which are cheaper and faster that can be used for traffic light drags
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:38:46 am by etches69 »

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 12:37:59 am »
I'm a bit heavy footed so its 30 thrashing around town and up to 42 sitting at 80mph for an entire tank

Offline martinjc1981

• Members
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 12:40:43 am »

I just don't think such a rare car should just be for people who want a "lights racer" plenty of
others out there which can be tashed around. I bought mine from a guy who refused £600 more than I offered from someone else because he didn't want it being trashed.

Plenty of other cars out there which are cheaper and faster that can be used for traffic light drags

but is there a better car for the money than the g40 for these traffic light drags?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2011, 07:08:32 am »
My g40 was running around 150 bhp beat my mates twin turbo subaru off line up to around 80-90mph.

a twin turbo subaru? lol

I dont do this traffic light racing stuff unless its my mate and were having a laugh. I actually spend very little time on boost. I used to get 330 miles to a full (45 litres) tank of v-power. Theres this water resivoir near us with a good mile straight, always empty and on the countdown he jumped a little. I think its a legacy. Its power is 280 and weighs 1.4 tonne. Where as mine was 150 and weighed 900kgs. Power to weight ratio is what benefit these cars as well. Also the turbos dont kick in till 3500-4000rpm where as the charger is on boost from as soon as you put your foot down.
Would never sell mine. Its like my pride and joy and just a fun little car really. I have had a lot of work on mine and work carried out to the handling and its improved. Had a stage 3 subframe and got (only recently found out) bilstein shocks. The subframes are around £500 but its one of the best upgrades around. Would never want to drive another mk3 without to tell the truth. But as justin says there fun, really fun. And when it gets a little quicker its always fun to watch peoples faces when you fly by  :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:13:37 am by Jezza-7 »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2011, 07:16:32 am »

I'm sorry, but that just can't be true.  I've driven a totally stock and low miles G at basically 50-60 mph for a full tank and i got about 44mpg.

On any normal g you get 30-35mpg normal driving, with some right foot action and around town. and 40ish on a decent run. 

This is based on 10 years of owning g40s!

Offline martinjc1981

• Members
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2011, 12:25:40 pm »
My g40 was running around 150 bhp beat my mates twin turbo subaru off line up to around 80-90mph.

a twin turbo subaru? lol

I dont do this traffic light racing stuff unless its my mate and were having a laugh. I actually spend very little time on boost. I used to get 330 miles to a full (45 litres) tank of v-power. Theres this water resivoir near us with a good mile straight, always empty and on the countdown he jumped a little. I think its a legacy. Its power is 280 and weighs 1.4 tonne. Where as mine was 150 and weighed 900kgs. Power to weight ratio is what benefit these cars as well. Also the turbos dont kick in till 3500-4000rpm where as the charger is on boost from as soon as you put your foot down.
Would never sell mine. Its like my pride and joy and just a fun little car really. I have had a lot of work on mine and work carried out to the handling and its improved. Had a stage 3 subframe and got (only recently found out) bilstein shocks. The subframes are around £500 but its one of the best upgrades around. Would never want to drive another mk3 without to tell the truth. But as justin says there fun, really fun. And when it gets a little quicker its always fun to watch peoples faces when you fly by  :D
yeah mate but the subaru still has a superior power to weight ratio. A 150bhp polo should not beat a 4wd subaru off the line unless your mate does not know how to drive or the car is away down on power?

Offline martinjc1981

• Members
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2011, 12:32:22 pm »
anyone out there online who has times a 0-60 for the standard car or a quater mile time? must be someone?
8.5 book time to 60 is seriously disappointing.  :(

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2011, 12:37:37 pm »
book time is 8.1 seconds, magasine reports at the time reckoned more like 7.1. 

but this is all irrelevant.  just go and test drive one and see if you like it or not.

Offline martinjc1981

• Members
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2011, 12:40:48 pm »
book time is 8.1 seconds, magasine reports at the time reckoned more like 7.1. 

but this is all irrelevant.  just go and test drive one and see if you like it or not.

so how come the book time is a full second slower?  ???

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2011, 12:57:45 pm »
Ive done 0-60 times in my g40 n they all seem to be around 6-7 seconds [completely standard car] ... also i can get 60 in second gear.

love to drive my g40 at 40mph everywhere just enjoying the fact i have one :) because it looks unreal especially when nobody over here [ireland] knows what it is. And for anyone to say they are not for draggin off the lights is either old or lying lol. love the fact even my standard [not for long] g will embarass 197bhp type r's when they cant really get away then find out ive got under 120bhp  ... as for handling.. ive just got mine lowered on coilovers and i think it handles great :s wierd. considering you wont be staging on main roads, it can still be thrown into some pretty tight bends with no real problems.

they are definately brilliant 'off the lights' but dont expect to beat many modern hot hatches in the higher speeds.

just my opinion ;)

Offline martinjc1981

• Members
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2011, 01:09:26 pm »
Ive done 0-60 times in my g40 n they all seem to be around 6-7 seconds [completely standard car] ... also i can get 60 in second gear.

love to drive my g40 at 40mph everywhere just enjoying the fact i have one :) because it looks unreal especially when nobody over here [ireland] knows what it is. And for anyone to say they are not for draggin off the lights is either old or lying lol. love the fact even my standard [not for long] g will embarass 197bhp type r's when they cant really get away then find out ive got under 120bhp  ... as for handling.. ive just got mine lowered on coilovers and i think it handles great :s wierd. considering you wont be staging on main roads, it can still be thrown into some pretty tight bends with no real problems.

they are definately brilliant 'off the lights' but dont expect to beat many modern hot hatches in the higher speeds.

just my opinion ;)

but it doesnt do 60mph in second gear going by previous posts? For you to claim 6 seconds to 60mph seems a bit fast? Have you raced a type r from the lights? any other cars you have beaten?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2011, 01:18:47 pm »

just my opinion ;)

but it doesnt do 60mph in second gear going by previous posts? For you to claim 6 seconds to 60mph seems a bit fast? Have you raced a type r from the lights? any other cars you have beaten?
You can get to 60 on the clocks, but the tests use radar speed checking and its really only like 58 or 59 or something silly. everyones cars on here are different and will beat different things, a standard car is very nippy and will beat a few things - plough enough time, effort and money into it like Yoof off here and you can out drag Audi RS4's - you need to drive one for yourself to have any idea what they are like to live with.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2011, 01:22:00 pm »

I'm sorry, but that just can't be true.  I've driven a totally stock and low miles G at basically 50-60 mph for a full tank and i got about 44mpg.

On any normal g you get 30-35mpg normal driving, with some right foot action and around town. and 40ish on a decent run.  

This is based on 10 years of owning g40s!

Ive done plenty of runs with this result, recently £20 around 15 litres i managed 173 miles at 56-60mph on the motorway. Mine has a custom ecu and when i had it emmissions tested for the Mot I had less than 1% unburned fuel in the exhaust gases.

My round town mpg is usually between 35-40 depending on how much i drive like a granny

Im not scared of running it untill the fuel pump wines though
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 01:30:30 pm by etches69 »

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2011, 01:25:18 pm »

You can get to 60 on the clocks, but the tests use radar speed checking and its really only like 58 or 59 or something silly. everyones cars on here are different and will beat different things, a standard car is very nippy and will beat a few things - plough enough time, effort and money into it like Yoof off here and you can out drag Audi RS4's - you need to drive one for yourself to have any idea what they are like to live with.
[/quote]

Oh right, well close enough lol. they way in which it gets to 'nearly 60' is very nippy for under 120bhp...