Author Topic: Thinking of selling up.  (Read 3497 times)

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
Thinking of selling up.
« on: August 08, 2011, 02:25:20 pm »
Im toying with the idea of selling up.

Im in the process of buying a house and i currently own a supra and my polo, but because my polo is a project at the moment, the supra is killing me on fuel.

Unfortunatley the supra is my favourite car so thats not going any where in the forseable future.

I havent even finished the polo conversion yet its around 95% complete but i just dont have time or the funds to finish it. I wanted it finished in april and look where we are now. So at the moment both my cars are project cars, I really could do with getting rid of the polo and buying an every day runner.

So im torn as to what to do.

Finish the project and drive it for a bit before i sell.
sell it as an unfinished project
or split it for parts.

I dont know...

Gav

Offline DMWG40

• Members
Re: Thinking of selling up.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 02:35:43 pm »
There all hard choices only you will know what best for you.

if you have not got the time now will you have time to strip and sell it in part form ?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:57:14 pm by DMWG40 »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 02:54:06 pm »
Breaking it for parts will no doubt get the most money in but like Dennis said, it's a lot of work and organising just to do that.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 04:12:25 pm »
What needs doing to make it 100%?

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 04:33:07 pm »
Not that much to be honest.

1. Fit the subframe and gearbox mount, I need to send the mount back to yoof as it didnt fit for some reason.
2. sort the exhaust out as it rattles on the undersheild like a bi**h where it attaches to the manifold under the gearstick
3. Fit new oil breather pod as its leaking.
4. Fit new bush and seal on gearbox selector as its also leaking.
5. buy and fit the intercooler pipe that goes between charger and the bottom of the intercooler.
6. Do something with the suspension as its still the standard polo suspension, so its a bit sloppy/wollowy
7. idealy new wider wheels.
8. I need to get the wheels re alligned after the gladder blocks and wishbone mounts.
9. Tax it and MOT it.

And im sure there are a few more things that need doing but i cant think off the top of my head.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 05:02:27 pm »
Apart from the oil breather pod which might be a pain, sounds like a long weekend's work should do it.

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 05:29:39 pm »
The only other thing that concerns me is its reliability.

I dont want to finish it, declare my supra off the road to find that the polo is going to start pissing around. I just want the confindence of coming out to a car in the morning knowing its going to get me to work and home again.

This year i have lost almost two weeks of my holidays just because of car problems, as i have been unable to get to work. Its really starting to iritate me.

I used to really love working on my cars but now whenever anything brakes i just get mad and leave it. The joys of motoring i suppose.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 10:39:19 am »
If it helps, I've put 10-11k on mine in 5 months or so with no reliablity issues (std apart from wheels, full blend and toothies). It needs a lot of stuff done to it to bring it back up to a good standard (I have all the bits just not got round to sorting it). The thing to do is concentrate on making it a nice car to drive as opposed to chasing daft power figures and make it look stunning, get the fundamental bits right and build on it from there. You can always do stuff like swap suspension and wheels in 2-3 hours, get it running and legal and you'll suddenly have a huge new love for it!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 11:19:06 am »
I will do the work for you!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 11:31:37 am »
pointless selling up after wasting all that time getting something 95 percent done.

just man up and get it finished.

if you give up that easily with cars, maybe the whole modification/mechanics lark isnt for you!

sure a weekend with james will give you the motivation back!

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 01:37:54 pm »
bit of a treck for you isnt it jezza im over in Preston.

Im going to give it a good hit this weekend and see where I end up with it all.

Im not giving up just getting a bit peed off with hitting dead ends etc... I suppose ive just lost intrest in it for now but I will try and get it finished this weekend.

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 11:50:25 am »
just do the basic stuff that gets it on the road for now

1. Fit the subframe and gearbox mount, I need to send the mount back to yoof as it didnt fit for some reason.
does this need doing now or can you get it on the road without for now ?
2. sort the exhaust out as it rattles on the undersheild like a bi**h where it attaches to the manifold under the gearstick
5. buy and fit the intercooler pipe that goes between charger and the bottom of the intercooler.
6. Do something with the suspension as its still the standard polo suspension, so its a bit sloppy/wollowy
This can be done at a later date.
7. idealy new wider wheels. no need for this yet
8. I need to get the wheels re alligned after the gladder blocks and wishbone mounts.
9. Tax it and MOT it.

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 02:16:51 pm »
just do the basic stuff that gets it on the road for now

does this need doing now or can you get it on the road without for now ?
This can be done at a later date.
7. idealy new wider wheels. no need for this yet
9. Tax it and MOT it.

I cant pysicaly fit it until i sort it out any way.

It was just a list of things that are out standing.

Im just going to do the things that are required to get it on the road for now.

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 03:40:26 pm »
Does any one have the part number for the oil breather pod as i think i have ordered the wrong one.

The neck on mine is quite long for the flying saucer type thing that slots into it. The one i ordered is shorter and isnt wide enough for the unit to push into it.

Yet again another dead end  :-\

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 09:43:05 pm »
030 103 129 is what you need.  ;D