Author Topic: New motor won't start.  (Read 4306 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
New motor won't start.
« on: August 02, 2011, 12:45:16 pm »
Fixed all the leaks on my new motor built up oil pressure then stuck the hall sender back it but it won't fire not Evan trying to fire wats the best way to quickly check for spark and fuel?? Everything inthe ignition system is new all earths are new and tight fuel pumps all new and can be heard priming on turn of the key.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
Re: New motor won't start.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 01:04:06 pm »
Pull a plug out and leave it connected to the HT lead, rest it so the base of the plug is in contact with the engine somewhere on some metal (so it can earth). When you turn the engine over it should spark.

My guess is the leads in the wrong order

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:27:14 pm »
Have you have the cambelt off? Cam timing 180* out?

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 03:16:59 pm »
Getting no spark on any cylinders, coils new earths are new. Is there a way to check the hall sender.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 06:30:03 pm »
Im taking my 2 working dizzy's tomorrow to antony to see if its that but any other help would be good as i have got spares for most things.

Offline Boris

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 10:24:58 pm »
Check your connection to the hall sender.  I had the same problem when one of the pin clasps wasn't connecting properly with the pin as it had been pushed back.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 10:38:05 pm »
Think all my symptoms point towards hall sender well find out 2mro

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 09:37:27 am »
It's not the hall sender. The timing gun isn't even flashing so there is deffinetly no power through the leads. Tried it on my car to prove the gun works and that's working.

Any ideas?

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 10:02:37 am »
IIRC the hall sender is what tells the ECU to run. If the ECU is working then it tells the coil to work. So if your fuel pump is running while the engine cranks but there's no spark then either coil (could be faulty new one?) or ECU? If Jezza has his car there I'd try swapping bits one by one, it'll probably work out the quickest method. Then when you find the faulty part put it on his car and see if the same thing happens

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 10:12:46 am »
Are the fusebox interior to engine bay harness connections made properly?
Connector by the coil and the coil connector the right way around?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 10:26:44 am »
No my car is still awaiting for me to drop the engine in. The plugs are the correct way plugged in. Noticed that with them swapped the fuel Pump didn't prime. Just did a con check of the cables and they are all in working order. My dizzy was working on my car and that's connected I'm antony's. Just checking the fuse box now. Fuel is defiantly being sprayed as we can smell it. Only thing left is ecu.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 11:45:09 am »
Right so still cant get it to start got fuel as i can hear the injectors firing and can smell the fuel from repeated failed starts but defiantly have no spark on any cylinders, checked this via the use of a timing light which is proven to work and by taking the spark plug out and firing it whilst it was on a earthed. have checked the following things:

changed dizzy to one known to work

changed the coil (althought the one in there at the moment is brand new genuine part from gsf)

checked the continuity of all the cables going to the coil so that inlucdes the one from the ignition switch the one from the ecu and the one from the idle switch alll checked out fine

checked the connectors near the coil these are the correct way around as the per the haynes wiring diagram also when swapped over the fuel pump no longer primes

checked the order of the HT leads numerous times

checkd the earthing points for the engine for the battery and for the coil all below 0.3 ohms

checked the secureness of the connections to the hall sender and to the fuse box and the coil

checked the rortor arm is corrrectly aligned with the key way on the dizzy shaft
 rotated the dizzy cap 180 degrees (although wasnt sure this would realy do anything !)

checked that all connectors where in the correct place on top of the inlet menifiold.
 things that are brand new include dizzy cap, ht leads, spark plugs, coil.

checked the way the chip was inserted to the ecu was the corrrect way round
when i installed the chip in the ecu i was working on a esd safe mat with an esd earthed wrist strap

still no spark !!! any other ideas or tests that i can do to rule things out or solve the problem the wonly thing i havnt tried changing is the ecu which i was overley carefull with when moving around and putting the chip in and it worked fine in my car before.

If i cant fix this by the end of the week i will ship the car to TSR performance to get it running but i would prefere to fix it myself to save time hassle and money if possible.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:48:01 am by dub-disaster »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 11:58:13 am »
swapped king lead?

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 12:07:25 pm »
yup king leads brand new aswell

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 12:31:02 pm »
Try Jezza's ECU.

Have you buzzed out the coil driver output from the ECU to the coil connector? The output FETs on the ECUs can and do fail.