Author Topic: Startting issues, HELP!!!  (Read 2095 times)

Offline ratacus10

• Members
Startting issues, HELP!!!
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:52:20 am »
Hello people,

I'm the owner of a 1994 VW polo G40 and I've been experiencing issues getting the car started using the starter motor. I've tried troubleshooting the issue myself but have pretty much exhausted all of my ideas and still haven't produced the goods, so can someone please help or give me some useful advice. so far I've,

Checked the battery voltage ignition off = 12.6v

checked the battery voltage ignition on and attempting to crank engine = 11v

checked the solenoid trigger/ switching voltage = 12v

Checked all of the connections are clean and secure.

replaced the starter motor and solenoid with a new unit (Thought there was a flat spot in the old motor)

The engine will start no problem if I bump start it and will continue to run with no further electrical issues. When I attempt to start using the starter motor I get no cranking of the engine but can hear a rapid clicking noise (I assume this is the starter solenoid switching the contacts for the starter motor and not some other relay which I do not know about).

Short of burning the car what can I do next? all advice is welcome.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Startting issues, HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 12:38:39 pm »
check the condition of all the wiring to the starter.  Particularly the big cable from the battery.

Offline ratacus10

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:35:06 pm »
O.K, I will do, thanks. I've also just put the battery on a deep cycle. Is it possible for the battery to check out o.k with voltage however not be able to supply sufficient Amps? The starter must require a sizeable amount of amperage to crank.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 04:01:08 pm »
Yes. You need to do a drop test on the battery that basically sucks a huge amount of current over a very short time (to mimic a starter motor or whatever turning the engine).
If you pop to halfords and ask them to test it they can do it in 30 secs and it's free.

It'd be worth opening the inspection caps and checking it doesn't need topped up with DE-IONISED water (not tap water) as it converts this into electrical energy.

Just checking voltage only indicates the charge level, it doesn't show how many amps its capable of outputting,.

Offline ratacus10

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 01:00:53 am »
Thank you Ereeiz. That sounds like a sound bit of advice. The battery was a cheap one when bought, so naturally I'm a bit suspicious of it.