Author Topic: alternators...........  (Read 3637 times)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
alternators...........
« on: October 13, 2008, 02:50:47 pm »
I'm on my second alternator and the battery light comes on sometimes when i start the car up so i'm thinking its on its way out like the last one!

Wheres the best place to source one which isnt gonna die after 500miles without coughing out at VW? Are there companies that can refurb them as i'm sure i still have the previous unit kicking about at my parents somewhere?

Need to keep the car on the road as i cant get to work otherwise! (well, i could walk but its 15miles and no buses!)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: alternators...........
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 03:46:07 pm »
are you sure the alternator is faulty?  Any should last years and years!

One thing that causes them to fail quickly is oil leaking out of the main oil seal in the head gasket.  This causes a visible oil leak on the front corner of the block above the alternator, then oil gets into the alternator and kills it.  So check out for that.  DKnight knows a place in huddersfield who will refurb an alternator, I don't know the company name or if they are any good though!

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 04:31:55 pm »
I know i have a possible leak from my sump gasket as theres lots of oil in that area. It'll get changed when the car goes into garage.  I'll check the rest of the engine later but i dont think theres any other (oil) leaks.

The alternator on the car is 2nd hand so i was unsure of its age/condition when i got it.

What else could it be then if its not the alternator? I've gotta adjust the timing a tiny bit as the car will try and stall!! Could i have a dodgy earth on the engine?

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 05:31:04 pm »
strange thing is the car never struggles to start and although the battery light comes on sometimes when i start the car, if i rev the car very slightly, the light goes out! Could it be a loose earth or maybe a wire on the back of the clocks?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:03:06 pm »
ah right, yeah if it's a 2nd hand alternator then it could be knackered.  Best way to test, start engine, turn head lights on, wipers on, rear screen demister on etc...etc... then put a multimeter across the battery terminals, if it reads less than 13.4volts then your alternator isn't doing it's job. 

So is the only problem you are having that the battery light stays on sometimes?  Mine has always done that, never caused any other problems.  Although maybe your idle speed is slightly too low?

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 08:42:30 pm »
This subject has cropped up a few times on CP with quite a few folk all having the same symptom of the warning light flickering on. It seems to happen just at start-up and driving through puddles or in heavy rain. My old G with under 30K when I got it showed these symptoms. It was still doing it at 130K on the same alternator. My present G with 125K on it does exactly the same thing. Battery charges fine? first time starts? Why worry, it's just another little foible G's seem to have.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 01:53:19 pm »
you could need a battery

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 09:31:27 pm »
battery ain't that old! Mustve changed it 2months ago.