Author Topic: Toothed Pulleys  (Read 5456 times)

Offline xrrich

• Members
Re: Toothed Pulleys
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 08:16:22 pm »
Really?! That's not good  I bought them from matt (karmann) from here they look prety damn genuine and have got guides and even got original , anyone got pictures of original ones.

And back to the point any pointers on fitting or is it pretty straight forward

Cheers
Rich 

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 09:50:01 am »
If they've got the guides then you should be good to go. There's nothing particularly difficult in the fitting, just regular access hassle to the crankshaft pulley and alternator removal. Make sure you don't overtighten the belt; same procedure as the cambelt, a 90 degree twist on the longest belt run. If everything looks and sounds OK, you've now got to check the clearance between the belt and the ARB support bracket;this can be fag paper tight. If so I'd recommend you mark up where the belt passes the bracket and then remove the bracket and get grinding. A bit of an arse, but worth it. Enjoy your toothies but watch the rev limiter, you'll be hitting it in fourth now and it's pretty harsh.

Offline xrrich

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 05:05:55 pm »
Ok, sounds good, what do you mean by Make sure you don't overtighten the belt; same procedure as the cambelt, a 90 degree twist on the longest belt run
Dont you tighten it from leverage on the supercharger

I have never done cambelt, i am sort or learn as i go sort of guy so just getting a heads up before i start.

Thanks
Rich

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 07:08:17 pm »
He means the belt is the correct tension when you can twist it through 90° and no more, in the centre of the lonest belt run. If you can twist it more than 90° it's too loose, if you can't twist it to 90° it's too tight. This is the same way of checking timing belt tension, but the method of tensioning is different.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 01:29:12 pm »
Unless they are grey phase 1 toothies they will wear