Author Topic: Won't start can anyone help???  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
  • Rebuild time almost over
Won't start can anyone help???
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:05:31 am »
Hi guys,

I have just finished rebuilding the G everything is back in and connected. Although I believe there is something missing ( maybe a vaccum line??) from the underside of the flying saucer disc by the air box?? Does anyone know what goes there??

Besides this we think everything is connected in the correct place and the car will;

Prime
Turn over
There's power to the plugs
They spark
There is power to the injectors but not only sometimes I believe

But it doesn't want to start.

I'm not sure if the injectors are working correctly because sometimes the car will try to start but it doesn't seem to be getting the full amount of fuel to ignite you can't hear them working even when you put a screw driver to you ear on them.

Does anyone have any suggestions to try , any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks Jake.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: Won't start can anyone help???
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 10:05:21 am »
Check HT leads order.

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 10:27:06 am »
what was the problem before the rebuid?

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 11:06:15 am »
Sam - we marked the lead order before they came off and we double checked when putting them back on.

GrayG40 - I lost oil pressure before the rebuild but it only turned out to be the blanking plug in the oil pump had popped out so the oil wasn't being pump around. Luckily pretty much nothing was damaged due to only driving it 100-200m once the light came on.

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 11:12:40 am »
Anyone have any other suggestion's??

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 11:24:00 am »
It's been a while since I've rebuilt an engine but you can get the dizzy 180degrees out sometimes, have you physically checked cylinder no1 is at the top while the rotor arm pointing at the connection that runs to plug no.1?
I swapped my leads the other day and had a fail moment, I thought the rotor arm rotated clockwise instead of anticlockwise (as you look at it). It was only after I took the cap off to check and cranked it I noticed, haha.

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 11:08:06 pm »
It's been a while since I've rebuilt an engine but you can get the dizzy 180degrees out sometimes, have you physically checked cylinder no1 is at the top while the rotor arm pointing at the connection that runs to plug no.1?
I swapped my leads the other day and had a fail moment, I thought the rotor arm rotated clockwise instead of anticlockwise (as you look at it). It was only after I took the cap off to check and cranked it I noticed, haha.

this could be true, is your plugs wet once you've tried starting it?

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 11:23:53 am »
To double check no1 is at TDC, pull the plug out and stick a screwdriver or similar in there and turn the crank by hand, you'll see it peak then drop off, just go back and forth until you get it right (assuming your cambelt is correctly timed, tensioned, etc). Might be easier to get a mate to turn it as you hold the screwdriver because the weight of the handle pulls it back and can get kinda stuck in there if you aren't careful :o

Any news on this?

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 02:00:27 pm »
Thanks lads,
Ereeiz- I'm pretty sure the dizzy is in the correct position. I am going to have another crack at it tonigt as I was busy all weekend. I know for definite that it is timed correctly so I will check the postion of the rotor arm when in TDC.

GrayG40- I haven't pulled the plugs since having a go a firing it up I'll look into it once I have double checked the dizzy.

Thanks again for the advice guys I'll keep you posted on progress.

Offline Boris

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 08:16:09 pm »
I had the same problem and eventually found that one of the pin connections in the ecu feed on top of the dizzy had been pushed back and wasn't making a proper contact. Worth a check.

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 11:13:35 pm »
Hi guys,

Got the G40 going today   ;D. It was all down to a loose fuse and the dizzy was 180 degree's out so thanks to ereeiz for suggesting that problem.

Although having it running did make more problem's the exhaust manifold is blowing like crazy so we are gunna have to have it all off again to sort that problem but at least she's up and running.

Thanks again lads.

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 11:27:36 pm »
see another simple one, glad  you got in running

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 10:10:11 am »

Eeeeehhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!  8)

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 10:54:48 am »
KickIng myself now about the dizzy it's always something simple oh well.

I'll get all the pics up of the build once I have had the manifold off and sorted it once and for all.

Cheers lads.