Author Topic: One for the legal people out there? Copyright related...  (Read 6305 times)

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
One for the legal people out there? Copyright related...
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:34:36 pm »
Well im having a right do at the minute!

The problem i am hit with, i apologize for my poor layout of the facts...

I currently sell stickers via ebay, i am UK based

I had 10 listings removed for breach of "intellectual property rights" which from my understanding is basically from something you design yourself? and someone using that?

the stickers in question look like this:

the listings that were removed were of different models of cars.

this was the email i received from ebay:

"Dear Dan,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to:

190256323318 - Down Out Sticker, Volkswagen Mk3 Golf (Gti Vr6)
190256325045 - Down Out Sticker, Volkswagen Corrado (Vr6 G60)
190256323065 - Down Out Sticker, Volkswagen Mk2 Golf (Gti G60)
190256322381 - Down Out Sticker, Volkswagen Mk1 Golf Cab (hood down)
190256324292 - Down Out Sticker, Volkswagen Mk2 Golf Jetta (Gti)
190256327720 - NO FAT CHICKS Sticker (mk4 polo) funny sticker
190256323777 - Down Out Sticker, Volkswagen Mk4 Golf (Gti)
190256321793 - Down Out Sticker, Volkswagen Mk1 Golf (GTI)
190256325480 - Down Out Sticker, Volkswagen New Beetle
190256324058 - Down Out Sticker, Volkswagen Mk5 Golf (Gti)

When we receive a properly documented request from a VeRO participant
asking us to remove an infringing item, we are required by federal law
to end it.

We removed the listings because EuroCrew PR alleged the listings offered
an unauthorized copy of their copyrighted work.

We don't have any more information about how your item infringed the
rights owner's intellectual property or how you can avoid having your
item ended again.

We urge you to contact the VeRO participant and direct your questions
and concerns regarding the removal of your listing to the rights owner.
You can contact the rights owner at:

-------------------------

For more information on the eBay VeRO Program, visit:

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Logan
eBay Customer Support
"

He is based in the US

So he is claiming intellectual copyright, which i can confirm that the designs are my own, and for reference they are totally different to his designs.

here is one of his listings:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-New-Beetle-Turbo-S-Sticker-No-Fat-Chicks-Down-N-Out_W0QQitemZ300264052887QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300264052887&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14#ht_611wt_0

I have many questions like how has he convinced ebay that he owns all rights to the style of sticker? it is nothing but a style, its like claiming you have copyright for every picture of a house, its stupid.

But to keep it in track, i contacted ebay asking questions but they keep saying email the rights owner.

Which again, they cant possibly the rights owner!
But more importantly my designs are different to his!

It is quite clear he has reported my listing as i am direct competition to him.

So i do as ebay say and email the seller:

"These listings were removed from ebay on request from yourself, claiming intellectual copyright.

You have made a mistake, as my designs are not the same as yours, their are clear differences.

Please can you inform ebay of your mistake, so my listings can be reinstated.

If it was a genuine error on your part then i apprietiate that.
i look forward to your response

Dan Knight
"

I was quite polite and to the point, now the response,
Here is the reply, im no law student but i can smell bullsh** a mile off

"Hi Daniel,

I know your artwork is original but the art down n out with the design is copyrighted. Please I just want you to understand that it's illegal to prepare derivate works or reproduce works based upon the work someone have made and copyrighted. Also I paid for my artwork to be copyrighted long time ago by the names Down N Out & No Fat Chicks so no one can prepare derivate works or reproduce works based upon the work was original made. But I just want you to know that I'm just taking action on the stickers I copyrighted not the polos and others you are selling because that's fine with me and I dont have the rigths for the other designs. Any other questions please feel free to contact me. Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Alexxx
"

Now i have highlighted the main facts, i have LOADS of questions about what he says

firstly, how can you copyright a style of drawing?

illegal to produce derivate works or reproductions? i have never even seen his designs, and mine arent even the same, just the style!

Paid for his artwork copyrighted, ok if so, in america? or UK? either way it would cost a PACKET im sure.

So now the artwork is copyright owned? not just intellectual copyright?
If so where are the markings, the little c in a circle?

he is basically claiming copyright on words!?!?!
is he a comedian?

That is where i am at, im still waiting for ebay to reply, but im not holding out.

They have somehow got a hold on the ebay system and are abusing it!

Ps also to add more confusion to the situation, the artwork that they are claiming to own, i am associated with the guy who designed them originally! and he freely lets people online have them, so they are claiming copyright on something they have found on the internet!

SO thats where things are, thats a copy of what i posted on a legal forum, but seriously, anyone got any ideas?!?!!?!??

Offline giorgio

• Members
Re: One for the legal people out there? Copyright related...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 11:20:03 am »
I am no expert Dan but will try to be of assistance.

Intellectual Property Rights refers to creations of the mind. From what I gather hes saying the idea of a 'Down and Out' car is his and he has the rights to it. Under the IP law he has exclusive rights to this idea. It can not be replicated or adapted. This is where it all gets abit confusing as you need to prove its your idea not an adaptation of his idea.

illegal to produce derivate works or reproductions? i have never even seen his designs, and mine arent even the same, just the style!

He claims [with IPR to support him] that what your referring to a style is actually his idea.

Paid for his artwork copyrighted, ok if so, in america? or UK? either way it would cost a PACKET im sure.
Call his bluff and ask to see the patent. Although the notion of  Car with Arrows is probably what he has, in which case he is right. Weather his IPR is worldwide I am not sure but I doubt it. Saying that given that you may post to the USA could make things a tad confusing but I am way out of my depth on that topic.

he is basically claiming copyright on words!?!?!
is he a comedian?

Not words, but a phrase. Im Lovin' It or Just Do It for example are copyright phrases. Nobody owns the 3 words, althogh they do have the rights to use them in that order

i am associated with the guy who designed them originally!
100% sure your mate didn't see a sticker online? Not that it matters as there is no legal document showing it was his idea first.

A very negative post from me and dont take it as gospel I am no lawyer. Either way good luck  ;)

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 12:11:14 pm »
yeah im just going through things now

basically he doesnt have a leg to stand on as his "designs" are freely available online, via the original designer...

lol

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 12:26:48 pm »
don't forget to offer to settle out of court for your compensation.

Distress, Loss of earnings, Consultancy fee [we can go 50/50] etc ;D

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 12:27:32 pm »
thing is they are a nobody company, but they have convinced ebay of their ownage

its crazy

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 09:19:37 pm »
i had the same problem a couple of years ago when i was selling replica ford parts, i was threatened with legal action ect, basically the same message which you have recieved.
in the end tho they couldn't prove that they had the origional desigh copyright so i just carried on selling the items, the items i was selling was lasercut brake light covers for ford focus and chrome dash surrounds etc.
i think you should go all the way on this one in proving that the design is not copywritten in any way and your designs are unique.

cheers Tom

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 11:15:35 pm »
its not the design thats in question is the intellectual property rights

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 11:21:24 pm »
well the main point really is ebay

i have ot prove they are my designs to ebay, simply fill out a form, send my designs

im then vero varified

then i am on same level as he is

i report his listings like he did mine, his get removed, ebay vero team see there is a conflict of copyright, they then check the documents he has supplied, which he has also supplied to me.

copyright dated august 2007

i was selling these stickers via ebay pre august 2007

therefore i win

only downside is time

Offline polo classic

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 02:01:04 pm »
If you can prove that you sold these sticker before he did, you might have a case.

AFAIK what he says it is the down and out part, pluss the arrows with car he has the rights to.

It is like Down n Out was a trademark

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 05:03:03 pm »
you cant haave rights to arrows lol

its all personal stuff, he can claim his own, but thats it, he cant stop me selling mine, its my own work

and isnt stealing anyones designs, i have drawn mine myself to a style, it is just a style, you cant claim a style

i got his listings removed anyway lol

he started it, he crying to me now lololol

Offline Karl

• Members
  • Non-Charged
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 09:56:35 am »
Dan you are completely missing the point here. He does not own the rights to Arrows, just the IDEA of putting them in that order around a car image. To what extent I dont know this is a question for the real legal people out there.

giorgio BTW
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 09:59:20 am by Karl »

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 03:42:24 pm »
its all so vague, he doesnt even own the idea of arrows around it

either way he has had his account deleted via ebay so im sure he regrets his actions now lol

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 11:05:05 pm »
I'm no lawyer but i thought i'd add - Nice one Dan! I'd rather buy from you than some stupid yank. With the amount of stickers being sold worldwide, there are plenty of stickers that look remotely alike but are still sold. I bet the yanks at home throwing his rattle about now?!!