Author Topic: Sunroof problems  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Sunroof problems
« on: June 09, 2011, 11:10:55 pm »
I can't get my sunroof to work properly.

I scavenged the front spoiler from the tilt/slide unit, as it wasn't rusty, but it has the same part numbers as the Polo one. But the sunroof won't close with this fitted. It closes perfectly when it's not in there.

It looks like it's catching on the bottom of the arms. It reaches a certain point then it stops sliding forward and the back end pops up. It didn't do that before.

Could someone take a picture of the arms, where they screw onto the runners, please?

I've thrown my old ones away because they were completely rotten.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: Sunroof problems
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 11:33:47 pm »
I can get some pics. Got some stainless steel ones.

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 12:05:01 pm »
Here you go Alex, I took a few pics before I fitted the tilt/slide unit  ;)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 07:29:52 pm »
Thanks chap.

I'm baffled though. Mine looks exactly the same but I can't get it to work ???

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:55:49 pm »
Is it not the front edge of the roof hitting the spoiler when you wind it forward? So if you hold the spoiler down as you close the roof does it work then? I had to bend the spoiler in the middle slightly so it cleared the underside of the panel as it was wound forward.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 08:28:37 pm »
It doesn't close that much - stops about two thirds of the way :(

It looks like there are plastic clips, one on each side, that push the spoiler down when you wind the roof forward. From what I can tell, they're hitting the edge of the bracket that holds the arms in place, then when you wind it forward the back end of the sunroof pops up because it's sprung.

I've tried adjusting the roof so it sits higher, but it's still not clearing the clips and I'm wary that I'll wind it up just that little bit more and it'll catch and ruin the paint when I wind it back.

TBH part of me is tempted to just leave it be for now, it fits properly and I don't really use it anyway. It winds both ways without any problems at the moment, but just doesn't have a spoiler.