Author Topic: Gearbox Woes  (Read 4532 times)

Offline giorgio

• Members
Gearbox Woes
« on: September 24, 2008, 10:26:00 am »
I can only describe the symptoms as the opposie of a clutch slipping in 1st and 2nd.

Its as if I am trying to pull away in 3rd/4th and the car bogs down and unless I floor it the car wont move.

I got the car back home and gears 3-5 and Reverse all work fine. There are no knocks,grinds,squeaks or rattles.

The best idea I can come up with at the moment is that a Synchro ring is jammed up. Although I dont know much about boxes so any help would be great.

Or am I best off trying to track down a new gearbox?

Cheers

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Gearbox Woes
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 11:44:22 am »
are you saying that in first and second gear the wheels jam and the car wont move unless you give it full throttle?  Never heard of that before!  If the synchro ring was jammed then you wouldn't be able to get it into gear.

To be honest, is it not more likely a misfire or engine bogging down because of a fuelling issue?

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Re: Gearbox Woes
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 12:33:19 pm »
I've got a 'box that was the same - not sure about 3rd-5th being okay on it though, as I didn't get that far. Haven't bothered to strip it down yet either, but suspect the diff/final drive isn't happy with life.

Offline albertjames

Re: Gearbox Woes
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 07:11:33 pm »
I changed the gearbox and diff oil today. It has made it a little smoother and quieter. If it stays as it is I'll be happy but I'm not convinced that it will. Bits of bearing cage rattling around the gearbox has got to be a bad sign!
------------
albertjames
Used Cars