Author Topic: Advice Needed  (Read 1152 times)

Offline bengim

• Members
Advice Needed
« on: February 26, 2011, 01:05:43 pm »
I have a 92 G40, it's done 85k ish, the clutch has recently started slipping and the charger i believe is due an overhaul. It's pretty standard apart from a euro spec rear light and i've put clear indicators in (i have all originals).  The stereo has also been changed but i expect thats pretty normal.  It has some history but thats not been kept up to date for probably the last 10 years.  I have had her a year and i paid 2.2k for here.  When i brought her i paid the money to get decent condition seats as once they go I find there generally unrecoverable. What i am wondering is if i was to sell her what do people think is a fair price as is or would it be better to get the clutch and/or charger done and then sell her?  I just think i'm at the point now where to have her how i want her i'd need to spend big money and i'm not convinced that its worth it when i've seen cars of the spec i'd want for a lot less than i'd end up paying. I know its always dead money when you pump it into a car but i just think it might be time to move on.

Any advice on value would be hugely appreciated.

cheers
Ben.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 01:09:27 pm »
firstly - what colour is it?

secondly does it have full history

has the cambelt/waterpump been done recentlY?

i'd consider these before giving any advice on value.

aS for clutch/charger, depends if you'd be paying for a garage to do them or do them yourself.  As someone coming would try and barter about £5-600 as that's what it would cost for a garage to do the work inc parts i reckon.

Pete

Offline bengim

• Members
Re: Advice Needed
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 01:53:52 pm »
Cheers Pete. It's blue not sure on the exact variation of blue but its the standard dark blue.  I have a receipt for the cam belt at something like 50k i'll have to dig it out. Service history is patchy i have a folder full of receipts but the book ist only stamped upto 58k in 2003.  Since i've had it i've serviced it once and its due again now as i've covered coming up for 6k. I'd have no idea where to start with a clutch replacement as i'm currently reading up on where to get one from.  As for the charger i'd want to upgrade it at the same time so i guess i'd be looking to have jabba do it.  completely take your point on being hammered down on the price as the two things needing doing aren't the cheapest. It's all a bit of a headache really.