Author Topic: Gauge location.  (Read 7555 times)

Offline Varley

• Members
Gauge location.
« on: September 15, 2008, 04:25:12 pm »
Greetings fellow G-Nuts.

Having trouble finding space for all the gauges I want/need and was wonderering how other people have got round this problem. Currently have a couple down near the gearstick but need a few more. Thing is, I quite like having the stereo where it is, ruling out the '3 in the din slot' option.

I had my boost gauge on a pod for a bit but didn't like the look, trying to make it look as factory as possible.

I was thinking about modifying the heater control panel to accept 3, after all, heat only ever goes to the windscreen and its rare i don't have it either off or flat out so could be willing to compromise on this - anybody know of anyone who's done this? Could some of the controls be relocated even?

I suppose the alternative is moving the headunit to the cubbyhole by my right knee - anybody seen that done? Or elsewhere?

Any pics anyone's got of their gauge setups would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Gauge location.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 05:23:22 pm »
Gauges here!

Stereo here, a remote control is recommended for safe operation

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Gauge location.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:56:52 pm »
or you could relocate the stereo into the glovebox, I've seen that done before.  Other people have also put a boost gauge into the driver's side heater blower.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Gauge location.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 07:21:07 pm »

4 accomodated here

Offline Varley

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Gauge location.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 12:31:06 pm »
Cheers for the replies guys, some good ideas there.

Has anyone ever seen the headunit reloacted to the cubby hole by your right knee? I reckon you could operate it pretty safely and would mean I could have the two by the gearstick (like peteG40's) and 3 in the DIN slot (like G-spots) which is the 5 I probably need in total.

What about the heater control idea? anyone seen that done? Would look ace I reckon if done well...

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gauge location.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 05:21:59 pm »
If you feel you need 5 gauges(oil pressure, oil temp, boost pressure, boost temp and fuel pressure, I presume) then I'd recommend some dual display gauges from SPA(check demon tweeks) they are pricey, but certainlydo the business as you can get all the info into 2/3 displays, alternatively if your budget is big enough then I'd fit a digital dash binical.

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 06:28:07 am »
Does anyone has any other ideas??? Any pictures?

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 11:14:44 pm »
The most important thing is, can you read the guages at a glance?
Ideally they need to be sited in your peripheral vision like the speedometer and rev counter are.
You don't really want to be looking down near the gearlever to see the guages (particularly if you're giving it beans), 52mm diameter ones can be difficult to read if they're not angled correctly towards you.
I think G-spot has got it right with putting them in the DIN slot. Probably just about the best compromise between asthetics and ease of reading.
IMO, too many additional guages can be as bad as not having any. You need to know instantly which guage is which, not easy if you have a group of 4 or more together.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 11:21:01 pm by breadman »

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 03:35:21 pm »
I've seen the headunit in the cubby hole drivers side. I'm sure it was someone on clubpolo who did it. Think it was up for sale a while ago as well. Best bet would be to take a look on there.

Offline TomG401991

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 10:39:43 pm »
I've got mine here  ;D

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 12:03:46 pm »