Author Topic: G40 death by oil pressure  (Read 8680 times)

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
G40 death by oil pressure
« on: September 08, 2008, 07:43:00 pm »
So this morning I killed my G40. Turning into a junction 1 minute from work I noticed the dreaded oil fumes which signled that the contents of my sump had been pumped in equal mesures into my engine and engine bay. As I overheard my wife explain to my mother in law "its basicaly sprayed oil over all the bits which shouldnt be covered in oil"!

The background is that I had the charger serviced by Pitstop early this year (one of the last Steve did) and ran it in properly  before putting a 65mm pulley on. I drive it every day and have done about 6k miles since the rebuild.

Here's the pics

I intend to clean it up and replace the oil seals and put it back together. I'll run it in on a standard pulley and fit a stand alone oil supply before switching back to a 65mm.

Question:
The 2 oil seals in the rotor won't just pull out with my fingers. How are they held in and how do you get them out?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: G40 death by oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:26:53 pm »
ahh gutted mate, sorry to hear it.  Hope you get it back together ok.  Speak to pete about getting the seals out he must know the knack as he's done it before.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: G40 death by oil pressure
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:37:06 pm »
send me a message mate... i put this down to the catch tank lines being far to small!

which seals have gone? and have you got spares?

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: Re: Re: G40 death by oil pressure
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 11:08:28 pm »
Gutted Andy, at least its not terminal. Catch tank lines were what killed the charger on Pete's car when he bought it so its defo a possibility. Had you taken the flying saucer off yet?

Offline Raw

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: G40 death by oil pressure
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 11:40:26 pm »
[quote pid=4024 author=SamG40 date=1220911708]Had you taken the flying saucer off yet?[/quote]

Erm...

No

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: G40 death by oil pressure
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 08:55:07 am »
Its not unusual for the seals to be loctite'd in so sometimes a little more force is required to remove them, normally resulting in damaging the seal, which is not a problem if you intend replacing them anyway.

Offline Raw

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: G40 death by oil pressure
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 01:30:32 pm »
When I've looked closely the belt side is dry where the exhaust side is blathered in oil. Also the oily side seal poped straight out where the non-oily side (belt side) is waiting on a seal puller to be removed.

So having removed the failed seal I showed it to an engineer at work and he's sourced me a replacement from BSL (Brammer). Having compared them they are almost identical and I'm sure they will fit OK. They are top rated for pressure and temperature and are normaly used on hydraulic systems where temps, pressures and shock loads will far exced those found in a G40. Whether it's up to the job or not we'll have to wait and see, because I intend to fit them and perform rigorous testing!

Here's the photos (appologies for the size):
failed one
 [attachment=121]
 [attachment=123]

Replacement
 [attachment=122]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 01:33:05 pm by Raw »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: G40 death by oil pressure
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 02:19:40 pm »
hmmm - not sure i'd use just any seal to be honest, i'd prefer them tested before i put them in my lader.

normal g-lader seals are a viton compound - for reference

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: G40 death by oil pressure
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 11:01:41 pm »
The only difference on that replacmenet seal is that it does not have an outer dust seal like the originals do, but as the seal operates in a debris free enviroment(with in the G-Lader) then it should not be an issue, I would not recommend these type seals for extenal interfaces(such as crank seal), but will work fine on the G as I'm already using a similar type on mine.

Offline Raw

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: G40 death by oil pressure
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 01:13:23 pm »
Rigorous testing completed; I can deduce that the new seal isn't up to the job!

It gave in last night: 2nd gear, 4-5k revs. It took the AA 3.5 hours to come and toe me the 10 miles home!

I have bought some from gladerseite.de which I'll fit with their special glue.

Offline polo classic

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: G40 death by oil pressure
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 01:49:55 pm »
If the g-laderseite ones doesn't fix it, you might have a scroll problem. I have had the same issue on one of the G60's I have rebuilt. I suspect the casing to be slightly out of spec, hence the seal does not fit 100%

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: G40 death by oil pressure
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 02:04:19 pm »
As main man frode says, the popping of seals can cause scroll seal casings to be out of tolerance and cause seals to go.  Beavis did get some machined and sleeved. You may see some german scroll which have screws in them to keep the seal in - far from ideal!

I once had a charger that was at the edge of tolerance so seals werent a good fit either and needed to be bonded in.

Offline Raw

• Members
Re: G40 death by oil pressure
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 12:46:47 pm »
Just to complete the case study; I've done 500 miles since rebuilding with G-Laderseite seals and glue. I've been driving it "normally" and it's still holding good!

I know writing this will be the kiss of death, but felt the need to finish the story for the good of the our community!