Author Topic: Not the end of Sorn  (Read 5518 times)

Offline BIG E

• Members
Not the end of Sorn
« on: January 19, 2011, 03:58:39 pm »
Hi Guys New Government rules coming out this spring. Continuous Insurance Enforcement which means a car must be insured 365 Days a Year Whether its on the highway, Off Road!! in a Driveway!! or Garage!! This creates a new offence of keeping a vehicle without Insurance. So if your car is safely tucked away in your garage, In bits, or up on axle stands, It still has to be insured. This has all come about due to the 1.4 Million Wankers who drive on our roads without insurance so they say, I think its just another excuse to rip the motorist off.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:36:12 pm by hayesey »

Offline BIG E

• Members
Re: The end of Sorn
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 04:29:53 pm »
Sorry Guys its not sorn!! just insurance!!! i expect sorn will be next. Shame road tax is a lot cheaper than insurance.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 04:52:27 pm »
probably better to quote actual sources, rather than hearsay.

its not the end of sorn at all...

taken from

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696

Stay insured: new penalties for vehicles without motor insurance

From early 2011 a new scheme is being introduced to make sure that all vehicles stay insured or a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) is made. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) are working together to reduce the number of uninsured drivers.
The fight against uninsured vehicles

Latest public estimates are that around 1.5 million of all UK motorists drive uninsured. These drivers cost the UK about £500 million annually, which adds up to an average cost of an extra £30 per car insurance policy.

The police already seize about 500 uninsured vehicles every day. To help combat uninsured driving even further, when the new law is introduced it will result in:

* fines
    * prosecutions
    * clamping of uninsured vehicles that have not declared Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)

Records held by DVLA will be compared with those on the Motor Insurance Database (MID).

From early 2011, if it appears from the database comparison that a vehicle has no insurance or no SORN, a letter will be sent to the registered keeper.

If the keeper takes no action, the keeper faces:

* a fixed penalty fine of £100
    * court prosecution and be fined up to £1,000
    * having the vehicle clamped, seized and destroyed

What to do as a vehicle keeper

If you are not insured and use your vehicle on the road you are already committing an offence – get insured immediately.

If you are keeping your vehicle off the road, make sure that you have submitted a SORN declaration to DVLA. If the vehicle is taxed you need to return the disc (including nil value discs) to DVLA using a V14 form. You can make a SORN declaration at the same time as returning the disc on the V14.

* Download 'Apply for a vehicle licence refund (form V14)' (PDF, 170K)

When you insure your vehicle, make a point of checking the MID to see if your vehicle is recorded correctly. Please allow up to a week for this to update.

* Check the Motor Insurance Database

If your record does not appear on the MID then you should contact your insurance provider to get the MID updated immediately.This will avoid the inconvenience of you being unnecessarily contacted by MIB and DVLA, or being stopped by the police.

* How to make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification)

this is a pain for the legal motorists, as many people buy a new car and swap thier existing policy onto the new vehicle. the new legislations means you cannot keep the car taxed, and uninsured. meaning prospective new buyers cant just get dayinsure and drive the car home.

also the same for a track or hobby car rarely used and usually safely stored off-road cant stay taxed and just dayinsured for the purposes of driving to the track/or weekend

surely the anpr cameras on nearly all motorways and a-roads should be able to capture the registrations of cars, and send letters to cars not on the MID and those not taxed or mot'ed!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:52:16 pm by grungeisdead »

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 06:34:58 pm »
Thanks for that mate, when I read Big E's latest I had a hairey fit. Should have known.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Not the end of Sorn
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:37:45 pm »
I edited the thread title because as you said yourself, it's not correct.  Tis has been coming for a while and isnt really a massive deal for most.  I fact if it does help reduce uninsured drivers then it in theory should be a good thing.  Although who actually thinks the insurance companies will pass any savings on?!

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 06:45:39 pm »
Thanks for posting the facts, I had a brown underwear moment Reading the original post. That would be completley ludacris to have to ensure all vehicals hou own even if there not on the road !!

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 07:43:31 pm »
The insurance comapnies surely will have to have 'stood' cover which basically covers fire & theft only. Would be better for instalments too as you could stipulate which months you want to go 'on-road' cover.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 07:54:51 pm »
my link was broken from the copy + paste from CP, so ive amended it.

here was my reply to the debate that went on, and it sums up my feelings about it

the problem with this is, you may get a tax rebate of 15 quid, but its costs 66 quid + to retax

you then have to buy another full insurance policy and you cannot tax a car under shortterm insurance, that means you have to a pay a large deposit for the policy.

so to run your track car for a trackday would be circa
66 quid for tax (if its under a 1.6)
insurance deposit which can be as much as 25% so for arguments sake, 1000 pounds, so 250 quid

so a total of 316 pounds!

of which at the end of the weekend you lose a months worth of tax, and have to pay a 50 quid cancellation fee of the insurance policy!, so effectively costing you circa 65-70 to make your car legal for the weekend.

I'm really annoyed by this, if an owner wishes to run the risk of having an uninsured car, parked off the road, or even taxed but parked on the road outside thier house, then it should be thier at thier own perogative.

i have three cars, and for me its best just to switch it for whichever car i use at the time, i cant drive three cars at the end of the day. and if one were to be stolen from my drive, insured or not, i probably wouldnt claim, as it would make my existing high premium, even higher!

the state of affairs in our countries makes me want to stick all the cars on a boat and emigrate to canada

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 08:13:16 pm »
You aren't allowed to have a car on a public road now that has no insurance, that's nothing new.

To be honest, fuck paying that evetytime, just save up for a trailer and it'll soon pay for itself

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 08:21:06 pm »

the state of affairs in our countries makes me want to stick all the cars on a boat and emigrate to canada

can i come?  ;D

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 09:22:48 pm »
You aren't allowed to have a car on a public road now that has no insurance, that's nothing new.

To be honest, fuck paying that evetytime, just save up for a trailer and it'll soon pay for itself

but ive got a big driveway that i keep them on, so they would never be on the public road.

what about people who keep the cars in a unit and just want to rock up there insured with dayinsure off tinternet and take it out for a blat.

and the trailer option would be worse, i have no car capable of trailering, nowhere to store a trailer, and it would be more likely to get half-inched around here than an old polo ever would! ive always got the aa to get us home if it goes pear!

id much prefer to drive the track car, to the track, and have a bit of excitement and fun, rather than have sitting driving a boring trailer worrying about your pride and joy attached to the back, and a heavy wind capsizin ya!

anyway its by the by anyway as when it came to renew my insurance policy (as i only had the G insured), i took out a multicar policy at an attractive price, but its annoyed me non-the-less as its only this year i can afford to insure all three.

and jezza, if your sisters tidy and single, the more the merrier :lol:

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 09:44:09 pm »

and jezza, if your sisters tidy and single, the more the merrier :lol:

How do you know i have a sister? lol and she is a lilttle too young.  :o lol

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 09:58:58 pm »
It's a frustrating inconvenience in my eyes, but nothing more really.

Offline BIG E

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 11:05:01 am »
Sorry guys I just copied the info word for word from the daily mail regarding insurance not sorn. Daily Mail dated january 19 page 45 quote. But the new government rules called continuous insurance enforcement which were launched this month and come into force in the spring mean a car must be insured 365 days a year whether its on the highway, off road in a driveway or garage it also creates a new offence of keeping a vehicle without insurance. So did the daily mail get there information completly wrong? Whats the expression do not believe all that you read in the papers. I thought i was being helpful with the information. Never again!!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 11:17:31 am »
i heard the hearsay from the papers a few weeks back, so went trawling around official government sources to find thier standpoint, as that will be the true facts, and not embellished like the papers state. anything read in a tabloid should probably be best taken with a pinch of salt hence my hunt for the facts.

thanks though for putting it up, as its breeded some discussion and raised awareness which can only be good thing =]

and we may seem a bit short-tempered on here, but were all lovely in real-life so dont take things on here to heart too much :)