Author Topic: New Member - 79 Mk1 Scirocco G40 Carb Turbo project..  (Read 15804 times)

Offline Winston

• Members
Re: New Member - 79 Mk1 Scirocco G40 Carb Turbo project..
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 02:05:00 pm »
Because dry sumps cost ALOT of money, Making a shallow sump would still not give enough clearance and big block 8V's suck imo :D

The Sump clearance is only one of the many reasons for doing this conversion

Offline Winston

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 10:35:14 pm »
Few updates :)

After reading up on Kjet turbo conversions on VWVortex I found out I can use an early VW Rabbit dizzy vacuum canister and this will also retard the ignition on boost like the saab.. I managed to sorce a NOS canister from a very friendly chap on Vortex.. So I intend to fit this to a mk2 Golf 1.3 dizzy..

My mate also welded my engine mount in for me in its new location so it would be rude not trial fit the engine.. It all very tight at the front end and on the bonnet but lots of ground clearance lol

Offline Winston

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 04:03:57 pm »
The engine is back in after fitting a new cambelt, waterpump and Polo GT camshaft..

Now the engine is in I have ran into a few problems

1. The carb fauls the bonnet on the adaptor plate so ive got to drill and tap the inlet manifold and even then it will be tight.

2. My turbo is upside down so the oil feed and drain wouldn't work.. I can't rotate the housings due to it being seized so Im on the hunt for a new turbo.. wish I had noticed sooner before I had bought lots of parts for the current turbo.. Oh well live you learn.

3. The shocks bottom out due to it being to low.. So I need to purchase some balljoint raisers as I can't raise my turrets like the Mk1 Golf boys because I have no room.. Im just waiting on the company getting back intouch on how to pay.

4. The Looms are going to be a nightmare.. Its looking like I need to make the under bonnet looms from scratch.

Offline Winston

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 01:28:44 am »
Ive not updated this for sometime. Its not running yet but not far off......

TBH the old turbo T3 was far to big for the 1.3 as well as having the problems of being upside down.. I bought a Garrett T25 Hybrid from a 5 GT Turbo on ebay which is much more suited to the 1.3 it has AR48 compressor and a AR49 Exhaust Housing which is the same size as the T3 but the internals are much smaller being a T2. 

Old on the left.. New on the right.. The new turbo is quite abit smaller as you can see but it is also much much lighter to boot.

I clocked the turbo housings and fitted a standard T3 actuator... leaving me an oil feed and downpipe left to sort out.

After many hours hunting and messaging people on ebay for mesurements, I bagged this Focus ST intercooler for £27 posted and its a perfect fit.. Ive sorted out the hoses that I lifted from a Volvo T4 in the scrap yard, no pictures of the pipe work yet.

The welder (my mates dad glynn) came up a few weeks ago and spotted me playing with the 5 turbo ktec sidey working out how I could make it into an exhaust for the rocco. In short he told me sell it on and just buy mild steel pipe work and he would knock me one up. With this in mind it would be rude not to increase it up to 3", so I bought a selection of 3" pipe work, silencers and bends from merlin motorsport.

He thinks im mental but he puts my ideas into metal and we have a good laugh at the results.. Im over the moon with this evil monster dowpipe he has created. Just the back box or should that be front box left to do haha. Im still not sure if I have the balls to cut a knotch in the bottom of my wing and have it fully poking out.

Mainly just the wiring left to sort out now.  ;D

Offline Winston

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 10:38:40 pm »
I didn't notice I never updated this and feel I should with all the help you gave me in the early stages of the build.

I thought I was on easy street it was 2 weeks till edition38 show, the cars taxed, MOT'd and Insured. Im left with ironing out the niggles and cleaning....... Nothing is ever that simple haha.

On the first night of testing the engine is shaking the car to bits (I assumed it was the poly engine mounts). It had a loud knocking coming from the off side wheel, it was that bad it felt like the wheel was going to fall off. I fitted a new driveshaft and hub on the offside, this made no difference so I changed the pair on the nearside and the problem was still there. This left me thinking the diff had gone in the G40 gearbox. I fitted a 4 speed 1.3 golf gearbox, the release bearing didn't work with the g40 clutch (doh). I then fitted a Polo GT 5 speed. It still knocked!!!!!

Its now the tuesday before edtion38. I removed my front gearbox mount and the knock was alot better but still worrying. The car had got slower on every outting, the exhaust had got ridiculously loud and it had started running on 3 cylinders. This was down to the plug in cylinder one being covered in oil... Oh no the piston rings have gone!!!! Alot of things now make sense!!

Its now wednesday night the car has to make edition 38!!. The only option is to fit all the turbo stuff to the old standard 1.3 HH engine out of my mates Mk1 jetta and run it on low boost. I phoned my friend Arun in the day to see if he still had the saab dizzy needed to run an ignition amp and he did (HERO).. It was game on by the end of the night 5am the new engine was in and mostly plumbed in with only a minor niggle to get it running left.

Thurday afternoon.. I get all the niggles sorted and come to start it. After alot of faffing with the ignition timing it fires up but the inlet is exhaust heated on an early 1.3, (I had cut this off the old inlet because it fouled the G40 head). so this left exhaust fumes pissing out the head haha. This was solved with a quick manifold swap. With this sorted I came to fire it up again but with more timing faffing it would not fire up. Morale is very low and thoughts of missing another edition38 are looming....

Its now early friday morning. Ive even got the Haynes manual out!!! This led me to look at the timming marks and they were wrong, the bottom end was a tooth out (this was why it was hard to start in the Jetta) I lined it all up and recharged the battery.... It fires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right!!!! I best go get my camping stuff ready.

The car made it to edition38 and back with no problems and ive been driving it daliy (ish) ever since. The VDO boost gauge I bought doesn't work but the actuator maxes out at 10psi so semi safe(ish) boost level.

It is pretty laggy (I think it needs a milder cam) but it comes on boost strong. I left the standard 4 speed clutch, it hates boost and starts slipping on boost in no time. The exhaust is abit to loud also.

So plans over the winter are to fix the G40 bottom end and fit a soild lifter 1.0 GL head with a 1,3 HK cam. fit an uprated clutch and a 5 speed box and make the exhaust more subtle. ;D

Thanks for reading
Winston
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 10:49:52 pm by Winston »

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 10:19:48 am »
what size intercooler pipes did you end up using. Ive got an st intercooler coming soon as my mate works at ford and is picking me one up for free.

I just dont know what the pipe diameters are.

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 11:30:18 pm »
I have one of those and I can measure at some point! What are u gonna use it for? if u planing on using in on a G40 its a bit too long.

Offline Winston

• Members
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 07:33:27 pm »
I "think" I used 2.25" for the intercooler but went up to 2.5" for the rest of the pipe work.

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 02:38:09 pm »
I have one of those and I can measure at some point! What are u gonna use it for? if u planing on using in on a G40 its a bit too long.

Ill make it fit.  ;D

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 05:05:03 pm »
here is an idea of how long it is!