Author Topic: no reverse  (Read 3934 times)

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
no reverse
« on: September 06, 2008, 10:33:08 pm »
when setting off earlier i found that the car was stuck in first gear as though the clutch cable had gone tho i only put a new cable on the other week so i knew it wasn't that, i dipped the clutch and pulled over to find a still couldn't  move the gear stick.
After some brute force it went with a big clunk an went back to the neutral position tho now the gear box feels very sloppy and falls easy into any gear, and the car drove fine. when trying to put the car on my drive in reverse it was selecting 1st???
could it be the gear linkage which has gone???? if so does anyone know if gsf do a linkage repair kit.
cheers Tom

Offline superchargedpolo

• Members
Re: no reverse
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 06:19:52 am »
I had a problem with my gear change ages ago.  Could be similar.

It turned out to be very easy to fix.  Basically there is a wee bolt that screws into an aluminium housing that surrounds the s/s selector shaft that comes out of the gearbox.  This screw had backed off a couple of turns and thus this fitting had play in it.  I applied a bit of lock tight and tightened it back up.  No problems since.

This may not be it, but it's worth a try.

Craig

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Re: no reverse
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 12:34:24 pm »
yes it sounds very much like that has twisted, what happens if you hit the rest does it go into them ok?

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
Re: Re: Re: no reverse
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 06:26:53 pm »
think so Dan, only tried 1st 2nd and 3rd. happened just as i left yours yesterday. i'm sure it's linkage

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Re: Re: Re: no reverse
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 01:23:10 am »
4th and 5th is a good tester, as you can slide up and feel the movement from the 2...

my house is cursed, bring a g40 near it and it breaks lol