Author Topic: ran outta petrol - car wont start  (Read 3894 times)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
ran outta petrol - car wont start
« on: January 04, 2011, 05:17:38 am »
ran out of petrol the other day - put just over a gallon in her and now it wont start - ran the battery dead tryin to turn it over - what could be the problem? flooded engine or what? im lost on what to check or try to get it going again lol

any help appreciated  ;)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: ran outta petrol - car wont start
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:40:07 am »
need to check if any fuel is getting to the engine.  Try loosening off the fuel pressure test screw on the end of the fuel rail and see if there is any pressure behind it.  Do this just after trying to start it but make sure it's tight again when you try to start next time.  Also undo it carefully as if there is pressure there you'll want to quickly nip it back up again to stop the engine bay getting soaked in fuel.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:40:38 am »
also, how long did you actually try starting it for?  It can take a bit of doing when all the fuel system is totally dry.

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:50:15 pm »
Is your pump turning? Run your pump out of fuel there is a good chance it goes bad! Has happened to me before! Pump would occasional work but generally the car wouldn't start no matter how long you would crank it!

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 02:58:48 pm »
I have ran my polo's out of fuel lots of times never had a problem getting them started again keep trying!

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 01:08:49 am »
i ran the battery dead tryin to start it then hooked jump cables to my other car to try a bit more - was no good...

When i turn it over there is no smell coming from the exhaust but the smell of fumes seems to be in the engine bay.... mean anything?

hayesey, is this the 'bleed' screw you are on about on the end of the fuel rail?? the silver screw on the right?
I tried loosening/tightening it and all it seems to do is spin and neither tighten or loosen.....

I can hear the fuel pump prime before i start it also....

im pretty clueless with engines so again, any help is much appreciated!

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 02:30:28 pm »
update: tried seeing if there was any power gettin to the spark plugs and there isnt.

took the dizzy cap off and there is a crack on the rotor arm... do you think this is the problem?

where would i get a new one?

cheers :)

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 03:34:15 pm »
halfords/gsf/eurocar parts/local motor factors

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 09:44:44 am »
ducktape it and and test it ;D! If it starts, then bingo!

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 01:58:53 pm »
Got a new rotor arm and still no luck - there doesnt seem to be power between the HT leads or plugs. there is also no power geting to the dizzy from the coil pack

new coil pack needed ???

what else should i check?

cheers guys

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 02:29:26 pm »
sounds like a dead coil to me if there is no spark from the king lead from the coil to the dizzy.  altough it could also be a dead hall sender in the dizzy

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 05:00:02 pm »
Cheers hayesey. Would there be any fuses id need to check? Where are they located?

Thanks again....

It is strange - car was running 100% and all of a sudden stopped and would only turn over with no spark.....

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 06:41:12 pm »
before buying a coil id check a signal is being sent from the ecu. hook up a multimeter! if im not mistaken it should be an earth signal when firing. if its not sending a signal then it aint the coil! + u can test the coil using a spare battery and some wire + a plug.

Offline Jaco2a

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 10:07:55 am »
i had the same problem the other day, highly embarising in rushhour traffic, i unplugged the blue temp sensor and it started

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 09:52:14 pm »
Whip the dizzy off an turn the rotor arm by hand, if you hear the fuel pumps prime as you do it, the hall sender/dizzy is sending a signal to the ECU.

If it's not this, then it's your coil- there's nothing else in the ignition system bar leads/plugs!