Author Topic: is it about to pop!?  (Read 2620 times)

Offline wbaxter90

• Members
is it about to pop!?
« on: December 13, 2010, 04:02:52 pm »
right trying to sell my car, barely been driving it.

Started hearing this noise, it sounds almost like belt slip (toothed belt slip) but the belts new and tight and NOT slipping. it only used to happen every now and then and i just ignored it, but went to drive it last night and it was almost constant. lifted up the bonnet and revvd it and its clear its coming from the charger, you can hear and feel it.

So what is it? i used the charger spray grease not long ago and the charger was only rebuilt by jabba 1500 miles ago!?
the car still drives but im scared it could go bang. i havnt got the money to fix it, i just need to know roughly how much it will cost because il take this off the sale price.

would really appreciate help on this one, ive spent so much getting this engine in good working order and now trying to sell it and now this!

cheers, Will

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: is it about to pop!?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 06:34:49 pm »
I'd take the belt off and run it to see if it definately is the charger first. Alternator sometimes gives out odd noises.

Offline wbaxter90

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 07:28:34 pm »
ok, but i had the alternator bearings changed a few months ago!?

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 07:34:39 pm »
try it regardless.

spin the alternator and charger seperatly and see if they make any funky noises.

if your charger has gone, its just luck of the draw im afraid, unless a warranty was provided by whomever did the work.

are you definatly sure the belts are tight enough, how much can you twist the belt by where it runs from the crank pulley to the charger

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 07:50:07 pm »
toothies you only tend to get any belt slip at idle, unless the belt is WELL loose.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 07:59:48 pm »
You shouldn't be getting any belt slip with toothies it'd mash the belt pretty quickly if you were!

Offline wbaxter90

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 08:49:04 pm »
yer ive had alot of belt slip and belt stripping before, so i can assure you i know the sound lol,
but this is without a doubt a different charger noise,
il take the belt off and have a closer look.
At first i thought it was maybe a drive shaft thing as it didnt do it on idle but now that it does it on idle and ive had a look and lisen i can def say its a charger noise. it basically sounds like the metal plates inside the charger that spin around are rubbing/catching? a crunching noise? if this is a fucked charger i will just sell my car as it is. and obviously drop the price. but how much should i knock of the price? bare in mind the engine and car are still mint

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 12:29:41 pm »
Could it be the internal belt has slipped a tooth and the scroll is touching?