Author Topic: Project AAV turbo  (Read 29333 times)

Offline cheys03

• Members
Re: Project AAV turbo
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 10:49:54 pm »
Good advice, cheers! I like the idea with the holey tube – clever little bit of engineering that.
I’ve got the actuator rod quite tight already, but there are still threads to go so will give that a few more turns in the morning. For a bleed valve it’s currently rocking one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TURBO-MANUAL-BOOST-CONTROLLER-NOT-BLEED-VALVE-/220537042109?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33590834bd so will give it a twist until 8psi is the base-line boost and not the spike. Also found a weird lean state when barely on the throttle, say holding 30mph on the flat in 4th. AFM reports 16-17+:1 AFR :-\

CO pot is currently on max resistance (1.8Kohm) which gives the leanest mixture. ~550ohms makes the idle bog down badly with too much fuel. I confirmed the idle switch again today before setting out. The switch itself is working as it should so far as I can tell (normally open, closed on idle?). Checked with the engine running. I should have thought and also checked the loom to the ECU though. Will give that a check too.

I’ll keep playing with the setup but am mindful that once it’s proven to be capable at 15psi a PPP remap/tweak will be worth every penny.

Journey went well! Exhaust needs a bit more clearance on the CAT brace bar though, or just sack the brace off completely. Bit of knocking on hard acceleration.  Not sure if it’s required or not? Only event was the oil getting uncomfortably hot (~105*C). My own lazy fault for not cutting a hole in the bumper for the oil cooler yet. Stopped at a garage and bought a lighter, used it to heat up a knife (away from the petrol pumps) and cut the foglight hole out. Pikey all the way but worked a treat – oil temps were a steady 90* after that. I’ve left a sheet of cardboard under the engine bay to catch and locate any leaks overnight.

Thanks again for your support and insight again Andy. Very much appreciated.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 09:10:23 am »
I'd only worry once your oil temps get above 125degC and stay there for a long time, but it's good to know that your oil cooler's doing a decent job!

That weird lean state when you're hardly on the throttle could be down to the idle switch - if it's still active it'll make things lean out. Could need the map tweaking too though! It's not ideal, but running lean at very light load is not really a big problem unless you hold it there for hours on end in a high ambient temperature.

At some stage it's worth thinking about your exhaust system - noticed you said part of it's from a GT? A full stock G40 system would be an improvement, or a 2" twin-silenced stainless system should still be quiet. If you're going to the RR day I'll take you out in mine, it's got a 2.25" stainless system on it which isn't too loud at all - the turbo quietens things down a lot.

Let us all know how you get on with 8psi of boost!  ;D

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 10:41:32 am »
The midbox is GT spec as I couldn't reasonably find a G40 one. The only difference so far as I can tell looking at spec sheets etc. is that the first join (where it would normally meed the CAT) is 1mm narrower than on the G40.

Aha! I think there's a wiring loom fault with pin 2 at the throttle plug (the 'earth' for both the throttle switches, though it goes the the coil transformer according the Haynes). The insulation for this wire had partially melted off when I initally got the loom. I'd presumed that it was due to the coil earth being poor on the previous car though. Unfortunately full diagnosis will have to wait until tonight though when I can pull the loom off, get it on the bench and strip back some insulation. So will be extra careful as there's every possibility the full throttle switch won't be working either. It'd be brilliant if this was the fault.

Edit: Scratch that. The insulation meltage was a red herring and it seems I can't read wiring diagrams without coffee. The idle switch loom tested OK to the ECU connector.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:07:06 pm by cheys03 »

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 06:22:21 pm »
Would love to come out in your's at the RR day (CP or ClubG40?) cheers :)

239miles covered without major issue. *touches wood* No leaks overnight.
More boost = awesome ;D

The actuator rod is now as tight as it will go and I gave the bleed-type valve a good twist. At one point it spiked high and blew the boost gauge vacuum pipe out of the T-piece :o so the bleed valve was quickly backed off and now sits at a steady 8-10psi max. Very nice to drive and on the motorway in 5th at 65-70 you just have to toe the throttle to pick up decent speed, it seems there's very little lag at this load/rpm and the boost is almost on tap. Can't help but love it!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 09:19:23 pm »
That response from the K03 is the reason I like it - it's like driving a much meatier GT. Might not be the most efficient turbo for the 1.3 8v motor, but the balance of outright power and response/driveability makes it hard to knock.

Is the fuelling on full throttle a bit more sensible now you're running a bit more boost?

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 10:26:11 pm »
That response from the K03 is the reason I like it - it's like driving a much meatier GT.
a very fitting analogy indeed. Good description.

I should've bought a data logger...! I think AFRs are roughly 11.x:1 on boost atm. If I'm honest I've mostly been watching the boost gauge today. I'll keep a better eye on mixture and let you know. What would be good? High 11's/low 12's?

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 07:35:35 pm »
On a G40 lump with forged pistons I'd aim for high-11s. Mine was originally mid-12s, but responded better to a touch more fuel and more advanced timing.

On a stock G40 bottom end running a lot of boost I aim for high-10s/low-11s on the basis that the extra fuel helps keep things that bit cooler - on yours I'd probably aim for the same if you want to run 15psi of boost. At the lower boost level mid/high-11s are fine.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 07:49:56 pm »
Good info, cheers again.
I was just typing this reply as you wrote yours:

Had a better observation of the AFR today. On low boost (1-3spi) AFR is 11.0-11.5:1. Any more boost than this and it plummets to low 10's or even below that (gauge just displays 10.0:1). Given this and the idle fueling (where any overhead birds instantly fall from the sky with toxic shock) it's probably worth a visit to your remapping skills. I'll pop in a PM. Cheers.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 08:09:07 pm »
Chris mate you've done this quick! Looks real good though mate, snows made acheiving impossible without cover! I'm still at the collecting stage! Tweaking takes the longest amount of time to get it perfect. Keep at it

Etches

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 02:39:45 pm »
I've had to take this off the road for the moment as it's running much too rich. Began to get a few oil leaks from the rocker cover gasket etc. and noticed oil has come out of the dipstick also. Quick sniff of the oil and it's full of petrol, has probably dumped 500ml or so into the sump in 600 miles judging by the dipstick. Really hope it hasn't fecked the cylinders with bore wash :-[  :-\  ???

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 03:30:30 pm »
Well, compression test shows 10.2-10.3 bar across all cylinders, which isn't too bad I guess. That's with the engine luke warm. Last compression test I did was ~20months and 25,000 miles ago with a GT cam where each cylinder was 12bar. My girlfriend's 169k AAV bready (unsure of rebuild history) got exactly the same result (~10.2bar) on cylinder 4 when cold though - so possibly my gauge is maxing out at 10.2bar for some reason. I'll try to borrow a 2nd from somewhere to be sure.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 03:34:16 pm by cheys03 »

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 09:53:21 pm »
Re-did the compression test and got 12bar across all cylinders. The 169k bready also got 12bar! ;D
Phew! I'll change the oil tomorrow for some cheapish stuff - it'll only be in for 500miles or so to flush the petrol contaminated stuff out. Then I'll leave it on the drive until the overfueling is solved.
On a lighter note there's a Forge actuator and couple of springs to try in Santa's stocking  8)

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 07:47:14 pm »
Out of interest, what sort of economy did you get to and from Manchester the other day? Will give you a bell after Christmas and sort a date for mapping.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 08:25:20 pm »
The first fill to Manchester and back, plus other bits averaged 36mpg, which was pretty good considering it'd been idling alot while tweaking things.
The second tank commuting to Cov and back last week looks to be averaging slightly better mpg, though I'm yet to fill it up to be certain - bit of a guess-timate using the trip meter vs fuel gauge.
I wonder what the economy will be once the contents of the sump are taken into account :D

Thanks Andy. Looking forward to the remap  :)

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 09:37:40 pm »
Easy test for fuel or water in oil is to try to boil some up on a teaspoon using a lighter.

If it boils with the lighter underneath, you've got water - test for fuel by holding the lighter to the oil itself. Engine oil doesn't go up too easily compared to petrol!

Could be fuel in there from running excessively rich at idle. Cruise fuelling must be pretty decent for 36mpg, and on full throttle you've got boost pressure pushing the rings hard on the cylinder walls and 10/11:1 AFRs on full throttle aren't too silly.