Author Topic: Can i fit a supercharger to a standard 1.3 polo gt engine?  (Read 6771 times)

Offline barmy army

• Members
Can i fit a supercharger to a standard 1.3 polo gt engine?
« on: September 02, 2008, 08:40:24 pm »
Hi im not a very mechanical person, i dont really want to spend a grand + on a g40 engine, im after putting a g40 engine in my 1.1 mk1 golf (see my other topic) but cant really afford a £1000+ for a g40 engine and was wondering if i got myself a standard 1.3 polo engine out of a gt or somethin if a superchager could be fitted to get the same performance? if anyone could give me a bit of knowledge on this id be very grafefull and happy! rob
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:43:29 pm by barmy army »

juan

Re: Can i fit a supercharger to a standard 1.3 polo gt engine?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 09:12:08 pm »
Sorry dude but if you cant afford the cash to get a g40 engine then you dont even want to think about supercharging a standard 1.3 engine as it would cost an absolute bomb to get it setup properly.

Offline wozzaG40

• Members
Re: Re: Can i fit a supercharger to a standard 1.3 polo gt engine?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 09:37:25 pm »
for one there is the wiring loom, all the sensors, specific ECU

Air box, air feed, charger, intercooler, pipe work, throttle body etc

Gear Box: ATV with longer ratios and a bolt on final drive
Exhaust: Bigger bore than other models.

need i say more___________
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:39:10 pm by wozzaG40 »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Can i fit a supercharger to a standard 1.3 polo gt engine?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 10:17:22 pm »
in a word, no you can't.  If you are on such a limited budget then you'd be better off with a golf gti engine or a polo gt engine.  Trying to supercharge an engine that was naturally aspirated from the factory will be more expensive or very unreliable in comparison to jjust buying a forced induction engine and sticking it in.

Offline giorgio

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Can i fit a supercharger to a standard 1.3 polo gt engine?
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 10:49:52 pm »
on a slight tangent. Assuming you don't use a knock sensor and you sort out the oil feed is it possible to overbore a GT lump and use 1341 pistons?

Offline Tav

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can i fit a supercharger to a standard 1.3 polo gt engine?
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 11:05:37 pm »
Sure, why not?  The engine block is essentially the same...the G40 one is apparently a little stronger...but nothing to stop you over boring the GT engine.

Ideally you'd use a G40 engine as VW has done all the required modifications to take boost.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
lol 1341 pistons are not cheap though so either way £1000 will come and go like the wind!

Offline quiksilver_jake

• Members
to be fair if you cant afford a grand here and there then you cant afford to have run and maintain a g40 end of?!...