Author Topic: Play in steering rack  (Read 1784 times)

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
Play in steering rack
« on: November 17, 2010, 10:56:20 pm »
hey everyone - ive rebuilt my steering rack after giving it a polish and i have a lot of play in the rack and it makes a lovely clunky click noise when you turn from one direction to another. i know i have to do the little 10mm nut underneath the rack up - but how tight should i go???

what play has everyone else got? do i leavea little bit of movement in it or do i do it up tight (but not tight enuf to seize)

Comments please guys.

oh and aint it a well poop job to get in and do:-(

Offline mstar

• Members
Re: Play in steering rack
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 04:50:01 pm »
I the same issue for a long time, even installed a rebuild steering rack but still the same clunking noise.

Anyone dealed with this?

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:09:02 pm »
yer i sorted it - i just adjusted the 10mm bolt on the bottom. i turned the car left to right repeatedly until there was no clunking and when the steering got tight i backed it off a little bit. et voila done

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 08:25:27 pm »
hi mate i have sum play in mine as well, i have a new rack and looking at it there is an allen screw inside the 10mm nut, so do you have to hold this and tighten the nut at the same time or just the 10mm nut on its own?  Trying to avoid having to change the rack until after the winter.

cheers grant