Author Topic: problems after rebuild  (Read 986 times)

Offline woody02

• Members
problems after rebuild
« on: November 08, 2010, 04:05:38 pm »
pulling my hair out!!!!

fully rebuilt my engine and charger after a piston melted.  ive had the car ticking over a few times and had no problems, came back from my holidays armed with a timimg light to set the ignition timing up when i ran into a few issues.....

fired up no problem, after a few minutes it started to smoke, little bit at first then reallly bad!!  it soon cut out and struggled to restart.
 had the sump off and there were no nasties in the pick up or in the oil.

So, because i wanted to try and sort it i whipped the head off (maybe should have pressure tested it first) and found the piston crowns full of oil, see pic.

i presume there shouldnt be that much, wondering what it could be?  maybe a charger seal?
thought i would ask for ideas before i strip the charger, need to check boost pipes for excessive oil

oh the joys!!   any help much appreciated, thanks.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:09:58 pm by woody_02g40 »

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
Re: problems after rebuild
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 04:15:31 pm »
It should be easy to see if it's the charger - there will be oil in your boost pipes. Check the plastic pipes and tb elbow looking for a thick oil film.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 04:20:00 pm »
As Raw said, sometimes seals can weap heavily if not fitted quite correctly (spring sprained etc) or can sometimes blow even on start up.

Advice as raw.. check the boost pipes for oil.

Pete

Offline woody02

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 05:07:15 pm »
cheers, il check that tomorrow if its stopped raining!   maybe need a new seal pete   :)