Author Topic: JregGT's GT-G40 conversion  (Read 18879 times)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: JregGT's GT-G40 conversion
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 10:00:01 pm »
charger still ok then mate?

pete

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2011, 02:11:51 pm »
Yeah, touchwood Pete it is doing well, hoping the decent oil slinger and general lack of other crap in it is doing it some good! I was going to PM you to see how things were and ask for your advice on when to give the charger a bearings and seals re-build! As I said, i'm nearly at 3000miles on it now.

Rich

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2011, 02:37:54 pm »
  what did we actually do - just the oil seals? if there's no noises, should prob be good for another 3k at least, those bearings had only really done a few k

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 06:14:56 pm »
We did all 5 seals and a belt, Ben did say it hadn't done that many, and touchwood it is sounding and performing well, so i'll give it a few more thou, then be in touch about a full rebuild kit, already managed to salvage a little oven to tuck up the corner of teh garage to use for the bearings!!

Rich

Offline ben_91

• Members
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2011, 10:35:27 pm »
Just though I'd revive this thread to see how you were getting on with it Rich?

You've done a bloody good job and I'm glad that it all seems to be working ok for you!!

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2011, 09:28:17 pm »
Cheers Ben, yeah, touchwood its still going strong, not actually managed to get much time on it due to work. But have managed to fit this.

No pictures of it fitted, because if i'm honest it was such a pain in the a**e to fit, during the process, taking pictures was the last thing on my mind!
I wouldn't even dream of knocking the quality of the exhaust, as it is absolutely superb. But the fitment, was far from what I imagined, I don't know if with all the hype, I had talked myself into it being a fly on job (which they never are!!!) but it certainly wasn't.
I had a number of clearance issues on runner number 1 which I thought, all the work, and hence the price/value was in, to eliminate this problem. I had to modify the engine mount, outlet dome and charger brace to get it to fit properly. Which at the time I really wasn't happy about, and contemplated putting all the stock G stuff back on, as it was really p*****g me off that much!
But now it is on, I managed to take it for a run tonight, and I am very pleased with the results, reasonably subtle lower revs etc, but has a nice tone when pushing it, also seems to of free'd up the revs a touch. Seems to pull very happily toward the redline (not that it didn't before.) But now just seems to have that little bit of extra go in it.

Next up is hopefully an oil cooler setup using a GM coolerplate (unsure of cooler tho yet, more than likely, whatever comes up at the right sort of money.) And oil temp gauge to be added in teh dash with the boost, and oil pressure gauge.

Cheers folks.

Rich  :D

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 07:45:41 pm »
Yup the early manifolds are a pain with some pulley combinations- hence us doing a revision to look like this:

I know this doesn't help you now it's on  :) but if you ever need more clearance (eaton G60 etc) then try to find a 'mk2' manifold.

Car's coming along well now Rich  :)

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2011, 10:11:49 pm »
Cheers Yoof, I don't see how that number 1 runner can be effected by pulley combinations?? The runner just wouldn't physically fit between the supercharger support and head, so I had to tickle the charger bracket. I understand that the outlet dome could be effected by pullies (which it was, as I had to fettle that too), but not the actual runner of the exhaust. The phase 2 ones certainly look a work of art too! I think if it comes to a point of changing, it would probably be down the turbo route!!

Top work on your car matey. Rich  ;D

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2011, 07:01:52 am »
Rich- yeah the small support bracket has to go with most aftermarket manifolds, not many people run them anyway.

The pulley combinations was an interesting one, dependant on pulley size, and toothed. v-belt and alternator position and belt length, dictates how much tension the charger requires, which also dictates how close the lader sits to No.1, in some cases charger outlet domes had to be relieved to fit.

Thankfully phase 2 manifold doesn't require any of this!

How's is sound??

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2011, 09:05:33 pm »
Yeah, I get that bit, just physically the number 1 runner was wider than the gap between the engine mount and head, I don't see how any charger/pulley set up could affect this. Like I said, nothing a little tickle didn't sort, same for the top bracket too, as I wanted it to look 'complete'

Yeah, it sounds really good on a decent hammering, and relatively sedate on a very low rev/early morning pootle. Whether or not it is the placebo effect, it certainly seems to of free'd the car up a bit too. I'm hoping that the standard exhaust was possibly on the limit of the car, so putting the 4branch backwards on, has hopefully free'd up a few horses. I would like to get it rolling road to see what the conversion is actually producing. Although to behonest its plenty enetertaining enough at the minute anyway!!!!

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2015, 08:01:06 pm »
Evening all, it has been a long time since I have been on here! In the time I've been 'gone' I have bought a house, got married and have had our first child! So the polo has sat giving me puppy dog eyes every weekend for the last 18 months that it hasn't really been used! It has been started and ran up to temperature bi-weekly/monthly and has never failed to start with a decent battery. I last weekend managed to run it around some local private land as the plan was to clean it up, clean the discs/pads off, drop the oil, put it through a MOT and get it sold! Now the dilemma, my love has instantly been rekindled! Why do these cars drag you in and tug on the heart strings! I haven't missed using it if I'm honest. Our family car was/is a MK5 Golf GTI (3 door so must go really)with a few touches and an A4 1.8T estate to replace it. So the polo really fills no purpose. Yet the thought of selling makes me get all fidgety!!
Either way, I will be back on folks, either back in the mix or with a for sale ad.
Hope everyone is well.

Rich