Author Topic: JregGT's GT-G40 conversion  (Read 18874 times)

Offline JregGT

• Members
Re: JregGT's GT-G40 conversion
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 05:34:42 pm »
Cheers for the positive comments folks, hopefully, the next few weeks up to christmas, should see the biggest updates. If all goes to plan, by mid jan the engine and suspension bits, should all be on and running. Was hoping for just before crimbo, but apparently my girlfriend would rather go to her aunties christmas day, than spend it in the garage with me. And by her, I mean us, and I have no say! But I am expecting a few conversion bits form her, so can't kick up too much of a fuss.
Rich, I didn't do the core plugs, just cleaned the block over, and put some paint on it. Non seemed to be weeping any oil, or obvious signs of failure.
Only bit i really had off the block, was the breather pod as the engine was suffering oil related problems, and i thought the breather may of been blocked. I ran a decent amount of petrol through it, and let it soak for a couple of nights and the petrol was filthy. SO i'm hoping if it was blocked, this will of cleaned it out.

Cheers folks
Rich

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 06:42:47 pm »
Another little update, nothing too exciting, but its getting there now. Or certainly would be if TPS didn't continue to let me down with bolts!!
Found my camera lead, so can get a few of the pictures i've been taking up here.
Got a complete set of injector jackets, so thought it would be rude not to put them to use/

Also gave the supercharger a fresh lick of silver engine enamel, along with the outler dome, and the bracket.

Currently waiting on TPS to get me the correct bolts for both sides of the charger, when stripped, the bolts were either wrong, or knackered, so most unlike VW they were very reasonable, so ordered the new bolts, and sholud be back together by the weekend.

This weekend should also see the garage emptied (weather depending), and the Polo rolled in for the big swap. Cannot wait!!!

Cheers folks.
Rich

Offline 10pin

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 09:52:48 am »
Looking good dude!

i have a request if its not too much trouble! do you think you would be able to count the teeth on your pulleys
as im a little bit worried about a set ive just bought not being the correct size it will probly just be me being an old woman but it would be good to know!

cheers!

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 08:08:59 pm »
I guessed you meant the charger pulley, but can count the others if you want. The charger pulley has 24 teeth. (Just re-read it, and you said, pulleys, i'll count the other for you tomorrow, and drop you a PM)

Made a fair bit of progress, but mainly in sorting the garage, not on the car or engine, but that should soon follow.

Ta Rich  ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:10:47 pm by JregGT »

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 08:55:38 pm »
How's the progress Rich? I've noticed you've started selling GT bits.....?
;-)

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 10:33:45 pm »
Gone really well, touch wood, I have got tons of pictures to put up, but going to wait till engines back in (and from that you can guess i'm not as far as planned!!)
As we stand at the minute, the GT lump had been removed, the subframe has been fitted with ARB blocks and the wiring has been altered to suit the G40, including hopefully having the alarm back in correctly, and whole loom from the fusebox forward has been re wrapped in VW's finest!!!
It is literally just the engine that has got to be dropped in now, and plumbed up, then fingers crossed we'll be there! Just finding a whole day, to have a go, but I did think i'd update it today with a little look at the gauges i got to keep an eye on things.

I'm not 100% happy with positioning, but for a start they will stay there, I quite fancy shifting the radio and putting the gauges there, but for now it will do.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 10:38:07 pm »
Oh yes!!! Looking brilliant! Keep up the good work

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 10:48:56 pm »
Cheers matey, really can't wait now, just been trying not to rush, as not to miss bits. As soon as the engines back in, I will sort the pictures, and get a decent set up.
But i do like this one just after the Gt lump was removed.

You had any joy with yours over christmas?

Ta Rich

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 09:32:48 pm »
Well, had a very productive weekend, while off the road, the MOT has run out, so got more work to do before I can get it on the road.
But conversion wise, I am waiting for just the alternator! Everything else engine bay wise is done. List consists of
Fit Alternator
Fit charger and pipework to intercooler and air filter
Fill with oil and water
Fit new petrol tank for MOT
Underseal/Waxoyl car
Then hopefully away we go! The tank is being painted in the evenings this week, then i'll fit saturday and try to fire her up. Then next sat, put her in for a MOT  :o

Just thought a couple of pictures would do for the minute.

Cheers for looking folks Rich  :D

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 09:56:43 pm »
Bloody hell! Good progress!

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 11:01:29 pm »
Cheers cheys, i'm hoping to get her on the road this weekend, got an MOT booked for saturday morning, and all being well, I should be using her from then.

How you getting on with the turbo'd motor??

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 06:24:43 pm »
Righto folks, a little update, as have been trying to put a few gentle miles on her. Upto 700, changed the oil at 500, so going to start increasing the revs a little from now in. Just been giving it regular checks, including all subframe bolts, mounts, anything that could fall off!! I'm checking. Here is how she stands at the minute.

Plans this weekend are to give it a very very very much needed decent clean, order a few new bits, and generally carry on enjoying her!!

Rich

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 06:04:52 pm »
Well the weekend has passed, and my fun has continued, I literally cannot stop smiling while driving her.
Usual routine for the last few weekends went as usual. Get car out of garage sat morning, check all the usual bits and pieces, then set about anything else I had planned.
On the agenda for this week were Change plugs, change lambda, knock up a temp catch tank, as i'd been very lazy and not bothered, and finally was to decided what to do with the air filter. I'm not a massive fan of big cone filters, and did buy a G40 airbox to put it back to standard, but as i'm very new to G40's was unsure if i'd be potentially strangling my engine. So instead i opted to keep it.
So armed with a stainless steel breadbin that was being thrown, I consulted my grandad and we decided it would be ideal to make a heat sheild from. Its not finished as we only got a saturday afternoon on it, but here is how it stands at the minute!

A couple of progress shots!!

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 06:12:41 pm »
Sorry for the abrupt ending, my write message was playing up. Nest sat, plan to finish it off with another short bit towards the grill, just to aim the air a touch, and I have an old landrover brake resevoir which I plan to mount in the old charcoal canister hole as my catch tank, as its currently a lucozade bottle cable tied to my expansion tank!!

Cheers for looking folks

Rich

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 09:03:44 pm »
Right folks, not really a big update, as I have just been having fun driving the car and getting used to it. I'm now just a few miles off 3000 on the G40 engine. So next weekend will see an oil and filter change.
Since the last update, I have finished off the Air guide and oil catch tank.

I've also moved the oil pressure and boost gauge, as generally looking at the footwell while getting giddy watching the boost gauge wasn't a good combination! I've moved it to the radio slot, so therefore the radio had to move too!!!

I've also made a new BR blanking plate and a leather gasket to go with it. Up to now I had been carefully cleaning the gasket sealer off each time and carefully re-doing it everytime I put some PTFE spray in the charger! When I fitted the gasket, I put a smear of grease on both sides of the leather to get an air tight seal, and touchwood it is working well. I'm still getting around 0.7bar at full chat, which is what i've been getting so far, so pleased with how it turned out.

Cheers folks
Rich