Author Topic: JregGT's GT-G40 conversion  (Read 18877 times)

Offline JregGT

• Members
JregGT's GT-G40 conversion
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:56:54 pm »
Evening folks, thought as I was making a little ground on the conversion now, I thought i'd try to make a little progress thread, as never tried one before.
The start, picked up my medium blue 91 GT about 5 years ago, ran it pretty standard bar a set of audi 80 wheels for a time. But then i got the bug and it started.
As she stands now, it has an ABD block, ported/polished head, 4 branch/decat mated up to a standard G40 centrepip and backbox. It runs pretty well, but now its just not enough!! May have a little to do with helping my brother put a 2.0l 16v engine into his 79 GLI scirocco, and realising it was in another league!!!  :D
I bought a complete engine off this forum, knowing it had a number of problems that needed sorting before the conversion, so thought it was my ideal chance to get what i wanted! The engine had previously been rolling roaded at 153bhp, so I hoped that it would make a good base to start with. I've been taking a few pictures throughout, so will put it into a few posts, hopefully a few of you will comment and enjoy watching the project, as i'm enjoying doing it.

I'll start the pictures with car in question for now.

I've done a lot with the engine, so next couple of posts, i'll get some decent pictures and my plans up.

Cheers for looking folks.

Rich

Offline MartinB

• Members
Re: JregGT's GT-G40 conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 11:38:53 pm »
I love this, good choice of exterior mods, one of the best colours and very clean  :)

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 01:30:06 am »
Yeah, looks nice.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 09:47:06 am »
Lovely colour and looks super clean!

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 05:30:03 pm »
Cheers folks, I do like the colour, never seen in the skin another medium blue, they're always steel ones I come across!!
The pictures are very decieving, the bodywork isn't actually up to much, i'm after pretty much all the panels that can be replaced. In its life before me, it was just a fella run around, and he wasn't really that interested in it! I've recently got a decent pass side front wing, but still after drivers side, the doors and maybe a bonnet! Just a waiting game!

Conversion wise I had a little parcel today which was nice way to start the weekend. A set of 65mm toothed pullies I had been waiting for.

The engine spec going in will be -

stage 4 charger ( which needs new scroll seals before fitting)
Boost Return removed
65mm toothed pullies ( as seen above )
GT inlet
De-wedged TB ( not riveted - removed butterfly and chemical metalled )
Green injectors G60 ( just got them back from PP after ultrasonic cleaning )
G40 exhuast manifold with decat and G40 centre and backbox
induction kit
An old map to suit all the above.
Once its in and running, before I do too many miles on it, i'd like to get the map checked/ tweaked, to ensure its correct for the spec.
I've always wanted a G40, but had grown to love my GT shell, so thought the next best would be a conversion.

Cheers for the replies folks, i'll try to keep the updates coming as I get bits done.

Rich

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 06:39:29 pm »
Haha! We've exactly the opposite problem looking for panels for the girlfriend's steel blue bready!

Cracking car and sweet mod list, watching this with great anticipation!

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 04:07:59 pm »
Spent some of this morning putting another lick of paint to bits, so in a effort to keep this going with little updates, I thought i'd post a couple more pictures.

I bought a stage 2 second hand subframe around the same time I bought the engine, thinking that a stage 2 may be the very least the chassis needs when the power get doubled!! :o Obviuosly a stage 3 wishbone would of been lovely, but the cost was already mounting, so maybe in the future!#

The frame came in decent used condition, but as it wasn't to be used straight away, i stripped it back to the metal, and gave it a number of coats of Hammerite Rust beater in a rather fetching brown. This is meant to kill any leftover rust, and give a good surface to paint to.

Once that had gone off properly, I then started to give it a few coats of black hammerite, over a couple of weekends, but these are the recent pictures.

As you can see the subframe is one suitable for G-lader blocks, when i sorted the frame, I also managed to source a used , but reasonable looking set of blocks to put on with the subframe.

There are a million and one things i'd love to be adding/doing at the same time, i'd like to poly bush the TCA and maybe add a couple of strut braces to 'complete' the suspension set up, but lots of it is going to have to wait till the car is back in use.

Cheers Rich
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 04:10:21 pm by JregGT »

Offline 10pin

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 07:33:58 pm »
This is looking good man! my sisters Bready is the same colour.

are the toothed belts you got from Bar-Tek? im thinking of getting them,was it easy to get them shiped over?

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 05:17:52 pm »
I don't think they are Bar-tek, I got them from PhilJ off clubpolo, he may well get them from them, but i'm unsure, it was just the easiest route for me. They are steel, so are reasonably heavy, compared to alloy PSD ones. But my bottom PSD pulley was ruined and needed to get my hands on a set. But I will certainly be keeping my eyes open for a cheeky alloy set!

Cheers folks

Rich  :)

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 06:02:00 pm »
Tackled the poorly de-wedged T/B. Firstly I drilled out the crappy massive rivets, I got over excited, and didn't take any before pictures, but then remembered, and started to take a few.

After I had removed all the swarf, I popped out the 2 screws and removed the butterfly, so that I could fill the holes with chemical metal. After reading a topic on here, I very slightly countersunk all the holes (can see in the first pic), so that the chemical metal formed a better shape in the butterfly.

Really pleased with how it came out. Took a bit of grease and some jiggling to get back in, but once in and the screws very loctited, I was chuffed. Unfortunatly by then, my camera batteries had ran out. So no completely re-assembled shots.

Cheers folks
Rich

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 06:52:51 pm »
Nice neat job that mate!  8)

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 04:59:10 pm »
Made some good progress lately, bar a couple of nuts and bolts, that i've ordered (i'm sure i've said that a few times) I think i've got everything to 'do' the conversion now.
Engine has had a general overhaul now, general paint and replacement, all gaskets that had to be removed to carry out work, have been replaced with new VW gaskets, all sensors have been cleaned along with a new thermostat, as the old one looked like this!

Engine now looks like this

I also (fingers crossed) have got my charger sorted, I took a trip to see Pete, who I must say a massive thank you too, for his time, and the information he passed on to me.
All 5 seals have been changed, along with a ropey oil slinger and a couple of loosey goosey circlips, and a fresh timing belt. When cleaning the charger, lots of unexpected 'crap' came out of the charger, which appears to come from a previously chewed up seal. So i'm hoping now, with the new seals, removal of all the 'crap' and a decent oil slinger, that the charger should be a decent unit.
I've got lots of pictures of little updates i've done, like injector jackets, removal of ruined bottom pulley etc, but until I find mt camera lead, they will have to wait till the next update.

Cheers folks
Rich
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:01:43 pm by JregGT »

Offline Richg40

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 08:39:21 pm »
Did you do the core plugs dude?

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 12:05:06 am »
Lovely attention to detail. Very neat, tidy build!

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 02:31:39 pm »
very nice looks so very clean!