Author Topic: Water temperature  (Read 4092 times)

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Water temperature
« on: October 29, 2010, 10:44:50 pm »
It's a question for the guys with oil coolers.
What water temperature do you see while driving off  boost (aprox. -0,5 to -0,2bar)  on the highway?

Offline newt

• Members
Re: Water temperature
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 10:58:30 pm »
ive been thinking about water temp with oil cooler recently,
i have a mocal oil cooler and it seems like im running at 80 degrees , my friend has a g40 no oil coler and he is running 90 degrees which is the normal operating temp of these cars due to thermostat opening temps etc
i have tested by thermostat and this opens at correct temp , but in the car because the temp is kept down by A, cold weather and B, oil cooler with good position (in bumber mouth) the running temp is low so acctually the car is not fully "walmed up"

soi would say mine runs at 75>85 degrees , i will give you an exact figure in the environment you mention  over the weekend
 ;D

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 11:34:20 pm »
I have exaaaaactly the same issues with you mate, you read my mind...!!!
Isn't a bit annoying, when you drive slowly off boost and the water temp goes less than 80 C?? In the meanwhile, you are freezing in the car and when you turn the heater on, the water goes to 70C...
It's forcing you to drive it on boost.... Hehe!!!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 12:34:15 pm »
all i'd say is, beware the temp gauges are rubbish!

example...

my dads g40 seemed to run hot - 95+ degrees all the time.
my g40 seemed to run cold - 75-80degrees all the time

i swapped the black temp sender between the two and both then ran at 85-90 degrees all the time!!!

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 12:45:43 pm »
Do you have an oil cooler in your car Peter?

Just to add something... When i'm in the city and i'm stuck in the trafic, water goes up to 80-90C, so i don't think that the sensor or gauge itself has any problem...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 12:50:19 pm by Alexiskayak_7 »

Offline newt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 07:19:32 pm »
guage is only a "guage"
to confirm calibration of guage check it against fan cutting inand thermostat opening, my guage is reading as it should do, and i am running cooler ,its the efectiveness of the oil cooler, just remember small block engines had no oil cooler big blocks did, the small block engines didnt need one as the cooling in the block was efficient, by adding an external oilcooler you are over cooling the oil in normal conditions , but when driving fast on road or track for long periods the oil wil very quickly heat up, this is when your external oil cooler really help out over standard!
iirc you can get thermostatic sandwich plates...?

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 09:26:10 pm »
I do have sandwich plate...
The next thing i have to try, is a ''hotter'' fan switch... Does anybody knows how many degrees is G40 stock switch? 

Offline newt

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 09:00:51 pm »
I do have sandwich plate...
The next thing i have to try, is a ''hotter'' fan switch... Does anybody knows how many degrees is G40 stock switch? 

sandwich plate yes, thermostatic sandwich plate?
if you did then water temp is not low because of the same reason as me.....
thermostatic sandwich plate only allows oil to pass through the oil cooler once it meets a certain temp hence thermostatic

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 06:49:55 am »
Ouuuups!!!!
My mistake! I have thermostatic sandwich plate.. Actually, a GM one (from a C20XE engine), but i'll buy a mocal sandwich plate to see if there's any difference...
You have a non thermo plate in your G?
Does anyone knows, how many degrees does the mocal thermostat opens?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 08:38:06 am »
I have an oil cooler and my water temp is between 70-80. Only goes above 80 when sitting in traffic.

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 11:30:27 am »
What happens when you turn the heat on? Below 70C?

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 11:41:34 am »
I have an oil cooler and my water temp is between 70-80. Only goes above 80 when sitting in traffic.

mine does the same! my car runs at 70º and when i stay in the traffic it goes up to 90º and the fan starts. my friend's g40 can stay in traffic longer than me and his car doesn't go up then 80º. i allready cleaned my water system twice. can it be my water pump?

Offline newt

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 09:03:15 pm »
Ouuuups!!!!
My mistake! I have thermostatic sandwich plate.. Actually, a GM one (from a C20XE engine), but i'll buy a mocal sandwich plate to see if there's any difference...
You have a non thermo plate in your G?
Does anyone knows, how many degrees does the mocal thermostat opens?

mine is a mocal, doesnt apear to have thermostat , next oil change i will investigate

Offline Turbodaily

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 11:56:26 pm »

mine does the same! my car runs at 70º and when i stay in the traffic it goes up to 90º and the fan starts. my friend's g40 can stay in traffic longer than me and his car doesn't go up then 80º. i allready cleaned my water system twice. can it be my water pump?

You ideally want the car to run at 90 all the time, as its running at the temp it should do and not over cooling it. So i wouldnt say you've got a problem at all mate.

Mine does exactly the same with an oil cooler fitted, sits around 60-70 when cruising, 90-100 max in traffic which is spot on.
If you go on a long journey, maybe half block the front face of the rad with cardboard to give it a chance to hold the heat in. i do this in the winter as it really helps the heating.

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 01:15:34 am »
i replaced the blue temp sensor a few months ago, maybe i should replace the black one too to see if something changes. i'm going to build a 7 line oil cooler soon.. thanks for your help mate!