Author Topic: Expensive ideas!  (Read 2305 times)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
Expensive ideas!
« on: October 19, 2010, 12:10:19 am »
Been looking at the G since it got slightly altered the other week and really think i should take it off the road for a while to get everything good again. Got talking to my mate earlier and he thinks i should turn it into a track only toy. The only problem is that i enjoy driving it on the road too much as it pisses alot of other motorists off and the 6n just doesn't give me the same enjoyment.

How much would it roughly cost to get it to some sort of track ready beasty?
Contemplating doing it on a long term project as then i'll have something to keep me occupied and buying another G which i'll leave in the same spec as i buy itto keep my boost cravings at bay.

I know i'd need things like full rollcage, fire extinguishing etc but i'm not sure on absolutely everything.

comments please ;)

Offline Max

• Members
Re: Expensive ideas!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:10:39 am »
A standard G40 could be a track toy really, doesn't have to have a roll cage and a fire extinguisher to get in.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 09:21:19 pm »
Depends on how hardcore you wanna be.  If your just using it for trackdays and very occasional road use, or rather not the daily, yeah stick a cage in it, you'll massively notice the increase in chassis stiffness and the obvious safety aspect of it - although beware of crashing and hitting your head against the metal bar driving without a helmet on.

Yeah you can do trackdays as it is, best to really upgrade the brakes, i.e. some good pads and brake fluid, doesn't have to be full 4pots or anything.  But it is highly recommended to get a good race seat and harnesses to keep you planted in the seat and better control.

All depends on how far you wanna go into turning your car into the ultimate track warrior - abit of fun to finely tuned machine?

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 05:36:44 pm »
Taking it off the road (eg no tax, mot etc) makes moving the car a massive pain in the arse something I underestimated the first time round

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 11:14:01 pm »
Currently doing exactly this.  If you're gonna do it right it's going to cost you. Alot of it will depend on your own viewpoints and level of risk taking.

You can use the car as it is on track. All you need is a helmet.  But you might decide you want buckets to hold you better....buckets lead to harnesses, harnesses lead to cages, cages lead to padding etc....you don't HAVE to have a fire extinguisher nor do you have to have fireproofs, gloves, shoes, HANs devices etc. But you may be the sort of person that wants to do something full on.

I've gone pretty full on with mine but left some interior trim so that I can use it on the road and still feel like I'm in a car...also left it taxed so I can get to the track without a trailer. But this will mean some self restraint when driving it so make sure I can get home!

Also think about where you would track it. I've got Donington Park about 10mins from my house, this makes the day shorted, the fuel bill lower and the hassle less should it break..
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:16:41 pm by AlexG40 »

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 11:27:47 pm »
Your car's looking pretty purposeful now with the cage Alex! I was the guy in the blue Saab on the A46 that waved at you the other Sunday...

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 11:31:12 pm »
Sorry matey, I can't see over the dashboard anymore  ;) ;D

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 12:03:49 am »
Any pictures Alex? Where did you get the cage done?

I dont know your personal circumstances Jon but you never seem to have the money to do the most basic of maintenance/finish of the car in its current spec from what you post on here and other forums. Is this really a serious line of enquiry for you? Dont mean to offend with this, its just my observations.

I am currently prepping my car for its first track day. My car has no cage/diff/subrframe etc for now. I intend to go on it to have fun, see if I enjoy it, what I want to improve first, see what the worst weaknesses are and oh have fun. Its took me a while to get to myself into a position where I can do this and I intend to do it a bit at a time. I might decide I dont like it or want to get a rear wheel drive car etc, I'm not sure I'd want to spend a load of money I'd never get back unless I know its worth it.

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 09:42:12 pm »
pic's by the end of the weekend I think. It's a PPP Stage 2 Cage.... :P

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 10:34:15 pm »
Its already got bucket seats and harnesses in so thats 2 less things to worry about.

Sam - no offence mate but bit of a bitchy comment wasn't it? Never been one to advertise my real wealth online as that adds to the risk of things going missing and anyway, ii've managed to cut ALOT of costs. Its not what you know  ;)

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 10:54:59 pm »
As you enjoy driving it on the road so much (presume it's your daily?) I'd be tempted to fix it up as much as you can without taking off the road. The rear quarter damage could be sorted reasonably well in a long weekend, it didn't look too bad on Polo3. Money spent on a decent remap could really make a big difference to the drivability - bringing bigger smiles and more love for the car.

Sam makes a good point about giving a track day a go to see if you enjoy the whole experience (if you haven't already). Last thing you want to do is spend £££s on the car only to find you prefer driving it on the road anyway.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 12:11:36 pm »
Get the car running 100% for road use, and then think about doing a track day in it as it is.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 12:39:13 pm »
Its already got bucket seats and harnesses in so thats 2 less things to worry about.

Sam - no offence mate but bit of a bitchy comment wasn't it? Never been one to advertise my real wealth online as that adds to the risk of things going missing and anyway, ii've managed to cut ALOT of costs. Its not what you know  ;)

Not bitchy at all I just think its being realistic. Ever since your car has been Eaton'd it has never been running right and I've lost count of the amount of times that you've had the money for a remap and then you havent. I really dont mean to have a go but I've seen it before countless times on forums where people have grand plans and then chuck the towel in long before it gets anywhere near completion. Slow and steady wins the race as it were. I'm not a rich man but I'd be willing to bet that if you took your current G off the road to prepare it for a full on track car and bought another G, your current one would end up being broken or sold before you got it on a track. I could be completely wrong and hope I am but thats just how I see it from the story so far.....

I dont mean to be inflammatory but you asked and thats my opinion.