Author Topic: 4 Pots Under 13's  (Read 2262 times)

Offline G40 AD

• Members
4 Pots Under 13's
« on: October 18, 2010, 02:05:16 pm »
Just starting work on my G40 again and decided handling and braking are high on the agenda (but also maintaining the aesthetics - want to keep my 13's) so plan is stage 3 subframe and coilovers to sort the handling front but brakes are the area that have me interested...

Plan is...

22mm master cylinder
passat rear drum set up
braided hoses

and then the bit i'm uncertain on...

I want to run a set of four pots but to maintain my 13's so would ideally like recommendations on 239/243mm 4 pot calipers and which carriers can be used that arent too wide as I had to grind down the carriers to fit the current wheels making them more like vw1's than vw11's... but at worst I would space the fronts a little to allow them to fit...

anyway I know I am setting myself up for a less than ideal set up but its just something to fulfill all my wants!

Cheers,

Ad
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 03:01:45 pm by G40 AD »

Offline GR40

• Members
Re: 4 Pots Under 13's
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 03:19:11 pm »
Why don't you look up for 14" bbs wheels? They have the same look as the original 13" plus you could fit audi 80 quattro front brakes with 256 disks which is the most popular conversion! The 14" plus the brakes will make a great difference in handling! You could also fit golf mkII Gti rear disk brakes if you can find a rear axel in decent condition!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 05:47:24 pm »
Ad,

We looked at the Wilwood Midilite under a stock BBS and it's not happening with the high offset, hi-spec calipers are a little less greedy with the room they need, I think some Chaterams run 280mm under a Compo CXR 13" rim, but they've got very low offsets.

14" BBS and 256mm Audi brakes are a nice combo, choose a pad/fluid to suit your needs and your laughing, won't cost the earth either.

Yoof

Offline newt

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 08:03:41 pm »
there is nothing wrong with the 239 brake setup, just run good drilled/grooved discs , fast road/race pads eg. ebc yellow stuff  and "racing blue" fluid (gsf do it) braides lines and 22mm cylinder they work just fine and wont fade either with yellow stuff
but the 256 brake set up is a good option, but for example the above 239 set up would work better than 256 and keep the factory wheels  8)
i used to run 256 years ago wouldnt do it now , for one i like factory 13s and 2 , you cant find a good "unworn" set of cariers, every set i have seen the calipers move /wobble
if you could find 4 pots to fit under 13" bbs that would be perfect , factory looks 8)

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:35:21 am »
Here in Greece there is a workshop that manufactures custom 4pot calipers to your specifications and they are good quality and have more pressure surface on each pot than any aftermarket one! they cost less than the aftermarket as well! their site is www.herculesparts.gr! They did my eaton installation, they didn't do it perfect but never had a problem with it that I couldn't solve! Maybe you can find a shop that would make you a custom brake kit!