Author Topic: Need help finding parts  (Read 6917 times)

Offline hobbes

• Members
Need help finding parts
« on: August 24, 2008, 10:21:57 pm »
Hi, im from norway and im currently building up a mk2 g40. But i need some help finding stuff for it like shortshift, shorter "steering" and polyurethane bushings, if someone could help me out by linking me or something that would be great :) i will come back with pictures and updates on my project !

Thanks in advance :)

Marius

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Need help finding parts
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 09:38:58 am »
hi,

http://www.g-laderseite.de/ do polyurethane bushes mail order. I';ve never seen a quicker steering rack or short shift kit for a g40, I dont think they exist.  Well other than the motorsport gear lever made by people like kwl-motorsport but they are expensive.

Offline Tav

• Members
Re: Re: Need help finding parts
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 12:51:50 pm »
Taken from my Club Polo build thread:

This seems as good a place as any to post up about my new favorite topic...gear selectors!

I started looking for ways to improve the gear shift in the Polo...the two improvements I was looking for were a location closer to the drivers hand + a shorter throw.

After rummaging around for  a while looking for something I had seen for sale on an obscure German racing site I came across CAE shifters:

Extremely tasty looking kit but it costs.... 649 euros .... or in old money about £510!!!  A bit on the pricey side given the marginal improvement on offer....I think I've seen these in more show cars than proper out and out performance weapons.

I spent some of this morning looking at the Polo gear selector on my car...got the gist of how it works and confirmed my thoughts by looking at the diagrams on the VW parts program ETKA....spark had now been lit in my brain...  I spent some time sketching out ideas of how to use standard parts to make a short throw + tall gear turret.

Later in the evening I started sorting out my huge collection of pictures for a reinstall of XP.  I have a lot of pictures saved of race interiors and I stumbled across a Mk1 Polo...which low and behold has a short + tall gear selector using stanard Polo parts...

So once I get the suspension finished this week I am going to start trying to put together some similar to the above image...perfect Polo gear shift...here we goooooo!  Just need to persuade someone who's handy with a welder to give me a hand, get some suitable material to build the box section for it to sit on, a universal joint or two to allow the selector shaft to point down and cut a hole in the floor...I think...

juan

Re: Re: Re: Need help finding parts
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 01:01:14 pm »
is that cae shifter sequential like a bike shift pattern ie 1 down 5 up sort of setup?

Offline Tav

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help finding parts
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 01:38:46 pm »
It's a regular H-pattern shifter...you need to drill a hole in the floor for the shaft to pass through.

http://www.cae-racing.de/shifter_vw_polo.htm

I'd love one...but pretty darn expensive!

Offline hobbes

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help finding parts
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 05:33:40 pm »
ah, thanks hayesey  :) pretty weird that shortsteering dont exist tho.. get them thrown after you for the golf 1,2,3 etc :<

http://www.g-laderseite.de/eshop/images/dgs-084.jpg

will this do for the whole chassis? :E probably not.. someone please help me out ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:35:42 pm by hobbes »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help finding parts
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 06:26:21 pm »
if you have the G40 track control arms (bottom arms) then yes that'll do the whole car.  If you have the normal track control arms then you need another pair of the small bushes to fit the inner arm joints (on g40 arms these are metal rose bushes). I hope that makes sense

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help finding parts
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 09:18:11 pm »
[quote pid=3550 author=Tav date=1219667926]It's a regular H-pattern shifter...you need to drill a hole in the floor for the shaft to pass through.

I'd love one...but pretty darn expensive![/quote]

Thats for a 4 speed box though.....?

The one in the yellow stripped out pic,, you could always cut 3"s of your current selector and fit a lower seat to get the same effect LOL  LOL
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:20:14 pm by G-spot »

Offline Tav

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help finding parts
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 12:57:44 am »
[quote pid=3573 author=G-spot date=1219781891][quote pid=3550 author=Tav date=1219667926]It's a regular H-pattern shifter...you need to drill a hole in the floor for the shaft to pass through.

I'd love one...but pretty darn expensive![/quote]

Thats for a 4 speed box though.....?

The one in the yellow stripped out pic,, you could always cut 3"s of your current selector and fit a lower seat to get the same effect LOL  LOL[/quote]

Not really give that his seat is prob. already as low as it will go.

As for it being 4 speed only from CAE I am sure the last version said 4 or 5...would have to find out...I don't see any reason for it only being 4 speed though.

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help finding parts
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 09:01:22 am »
only what I read briefly on that link, they probably do a 5 speed too, but only glanced at it last nite.  I only joking about the 3inch cut and lower seat, though I do know someone that cut his gear stick for a shorter throw, hmmmm!!

I agree with your idea of raising the selector box though, but the hieght on the one in the pic looks like its more than just a raising of the pivot point to me.

Offline Tav

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help finding parts
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 12:33:32 pm »
I think raising the selector box would be the easiest/cheapest method....well if you can fabricate then the box would be easy.  Then I think you'd just need an universal joint or two...and some selector shafts to cut up.

Offline Devious

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help finding parts
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 02:32:51 pm »
[quote pid=3587 author=G-spot date=1219824082] I only joking about the 3inch cut and lower seat, though I do know someone that cut his gear stick for a shorter throw, hmmmm!!
[/quote]
 i did... shifting faster now eheh

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help finding parts
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 09:48:44 am »
Polo Performance Services (PPS) had an advert on their web page saying "Short shifter kit coming soon" - Anyone heard anymore or anything about that?

Offline Tav

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help finding parts
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 11:07:15 pm »
Email him and ask?  Then please share any information with us?