Author Topic: snapped cv at vw action  (Read 5648 times)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
snapped cv at vw action
« on: September 05, 2010, 08:49:18 pm »
this kind of put a stopper to me getting in any proper runs on the drag strip this weekend.  Made a right mess of a launch and something went *bang* and I was down to one wheel drive (I thought the diff had gone).  Then on sunday morning, was swapping back to normal front wheels so I could get outside santa pod and call the RAC for a tow home and yoof noticed that when I span the wheel the drive shaft wasnt moving.  Removed the short drive shaft to find this mess. Well happy that this sacrificed itself and not something much more expensive like the diff!  Also, yoof just happened to have brought along a complete spare short shaft with him so me, him and Andy swapped it over and jobs a good 'un, car did the three hour drive home no problems.

I think I'll stick to my track days for now, seem to break less!

cheers to yoof for bringing all the spares, tools, jacks, bits of wood etc....  great to have a support car of spares there!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
Re: snapped cv at vw action
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:54:40 pm »
Saw this happen from the stands dude, wonderd where your G had gone untill i spoke to andy. Glad to hear it was just a cv and not your diff!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 08:58:08 pm »
yeah, not like I can say it was the cars or cv joints fault, just me trying to launch with no mechanical sympathy what-so-ever!

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:20:23 pm »
yeah banging off the limiter and then dumping the clutch ain't the best thing to do.

Good job you had the diff Hayes or else you would have had to be towed off the track!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 09:24:13 pm »
yeah it's helped me a couple of times that, like when my driveshaft bolts came loose coming off the m60, was able to drive it into a lay-by instead of being stuck on the slip road.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 09:26:01 pm »
That's pretty impressive destruction of the end of the CV!
Hats off to Yoof for bringing spare driveshafts to a drag strip

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:27:51 pm »
We were expecting my car to break some - hence the spares!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 09:32:30 pm »
well something was bound to go bang between the lot of us.  I wonder if sam got home ok or is he's still on the m1 stopping every junction to refill with water?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 09:41:23 pm »
No worries- had various spares (the usual suspect clutch cables, and throttle cables) and thought I'd chuck some spare shafts in as Andy was running slicks.

I've got the video evidence that launching on a 7k rev limiter doesn't do anything much good  ;D

I'm no metallurgist but you can clearly see the case hardening has only penetrated 5mm or so, leaving the grain structure in the centre of the shaft uneven and weak, which at a guess is where the shear propigated. I've never managed to snap one (on 8" drag slicks), then again, I don't launch like Hayesey does  :D

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 09:51:22 pm »
the launch was a compete cock-up, just resulted in lots of wheel spin and obviously, broken car.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 10:06:16 pm »
I'm here. Got home about 6:30. Only stopped twice and once was cos I needed a pee! The first time was barely 5 miles from pod. The temp gauge shot up to over 110 and I pulled into a petrol station. When it had cooled down I put 3 litres of water in it, so it had managed to go through 3 litre in about 10 minutes/5-6 miles. Still no obvious sign of a leak or anything coming from the exhaust. After I set off again I put the heater from full cold to full hot and it was more or less fine after that apart from going a smidge over 90 every so often. I did put a litre in when I stopped for a wee so its still using water somewhere. Will have a look during the week and next weekend.

Was pretty good to find out it was just a drive shaft for you Hayes, I know I'd be much happier with that result! Was a good weekend though (when I finally got there), just a bit disappointed I couldnt run but judging how everyone else got on all weekend I doubt I'd have bettered my time from Springfest. Yoof and I couldnt believe how many people were getting it wrong all weekend. Anyway glad everyone got home ok, (I wonder how Saf got on) and cheers to everyone for a top weekend.

Offline Liz

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 03:47:01 pm »
glad you got it sorted and it wasn't too serious or expensive.

I ended up being another RAC casualty on the A34 about 45 mins from home, stopped for a wee and Bluey wouldn't start, no spark or fuel lol, RAC man really didn't want to have to tow me home so was determined to fix him but didn't have a clue, my words 'whats it doing?' when he was testing the hall sendor, his words 'fuck all' lol, so tow it was! good old Bluey tho he did well, not the fastest but we had fun, least i was in a nice safe services and not far from home :-)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 04:39:12 pm »
my record of about 7 years RAC membership and never actually needing to call them out still stands.  Have had to limp home a few times but always made it in the end.  Was totally fine yesterday after swapping the shaft though, pity I didnt notice that this was the problem on saturday as I could have got some more runs in.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 04:41:28 pm by hayesey »

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 07:36:17 pm »
I did think you lost traction in 1,2 and 3 gear haysey :)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 08:37:42 pm »
Saf got home eventually from what i read on fb. He just needs to drop his other engine in now.